Not open for further replies.

vaippapoika

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Hi,

I was a huge fan of the first version of ABU SDK diaper. Than diaper was a lot like the 90´s Pampers diapers. It was crinkly, soft, nice plastic and flyffy. Unfortunately it did not have a good capasity and tended to leak alot if not used with a stuffer.
I think that was the most perfect diaper I have ever worn.

The new version is much "harder". It is thicker and bulkier and I don´t think it has the same appeal as the first version.

Is there anyone else who agrees with this?

I am now searching for the next best diaper, do you have any suggestions which diaper would resemble the first version of ABU SDK the most?

vaippapoika said:
Hi,

I was a huge fan of the first version of ABU SDK diaper. Than diaper was a lot like the 90´s Pampers diapers. It was crinkly, soft, nice plastic and flyffy. Unfortunately it did not have a good capasity and tended to leak alot if not used with a stuffer.

The new version is much "harder". It is thicker and bulkier and I don´t think it has the same appeal as the first version.

I am now searching for the next best diaper, do you have any suggestions which diaper would resemble the first version of ABU SDK the most?

I've always had leak problems with ABU too. While they do not have the same cut and taping system, I've found Crinklz to be much more reliable with better capacity and almost no leaks. They have a soft plastic too.

Try the Abu kiddos, the plastic is softer, good absorbency, slightly thinner and def softer

I agree. Love the thickness of the new SDK. Hate the hard plastic, the lack of sound, and the low rise.

if you are looking for alternatives in a 2 tape, I suggest you check out the new cuddlz. Performance and fit are both really good.

I also miss the original SDKs and Cushies (I've still got a few bags lying around). The capacity wasn't great but a stuffer remedied that pretty well and they felt good and fit me well. The added capacity on the v2s is nice but the plastic doesn't feel as good and the tape placement isn't as good as before for me. They're still a nice diaper but they dropped from my all-time favorite design.

vaippapoika said:
Hi,

I have to agree with you 110%!!
I also would like to add that I don’t like the shape of the padding in the front and back of the diaper being rounded, the first version had a more straight or squared shape padding which closely resembled a vintage pampers. In my opinion the first version was the ideal pampers replica it just needed to be thicker. Im not to impressed with v2.

I prefer SDK version 1 too. The plastic shell crinkles MUCH more than v2 and I like having a thin diaper to wear under regular clothes when I go out. I'm hoping the new Tykables Little Builders are thin like the original SDKs.

The new ones are my current favorite diaper. The only thing that would make them better is an elastic wasteband. Make them just like the Kiddos and I'll never want a different diaper.

I've never used the first iterations of ABU's SDK diaper so maybe I don't have the proper frame of reference, but the current make and model of SDK's are easily in my top 5 diapers.

Many of the problems others have homed in on; harder plastic shell, not enough noise, leak issues, none of these issues have ever befallen me when I'm all snug and taped up in one. I find the plastic on the SDK's v2 is one of the softer plastic shells on the market, very buttery smooth, not quite as smooth as a Bambino but certainly a lot softer than brands from Rearz. They aren't the noisiest diaper in the world, but there is certainly a fair amount of crinkle, nothing really matches Rearz or Bambino in terms of that telltale crinkle, but the current SDK's are by no means a quiet diaper. Lastly, when it comes to capacity and absorbency, SDK's absorb a lot, they swell nicely and they wick pretty darn quickly, arguably quicker than Rearz Safaris. I have never sprung a leak when wearing an ABU SDK v2 and certainly not if I throw in a booster as I normally do. The single tape design, one tape on each side, is very nostalgic for me, I feel the most like a baby when I'm wearing any of the ABU single tape designs be they an SDK, a Cushie or a Kiddo.

So yeah, these are a top tier diaper for me. As I said, I never used the original so perhaps I don't have an accurate frame of reference, but the current SDK's are great, they are thick, soft, just the right amount of noisy and a perfectly functional diaper that has never leaked on me.

Poofybutt said:
the current SDK's are by no means a quiet diaper

I would have to respectfully disagree. They are not completely silent but they are one of the quietest ones out there, and I believe they were designed to be discreet under clothing.

I still have some old V1 Cushies sitting in my cupboard, which have the same shell as the SDKs did. The plastic does not compare! It is so soft, crinkly, and thin - instant nostalgia to real nappies. Really loud. But I wonder if that plastic would work on a thicker, heavier design like the modern SDKs? Possibly not.The old cushies also have the non-rounded edges, which I too loved.

Wish ABU would bring some of these features back :( But if they're selling well, no reason to change anything I suppose :(

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply´s.

I just recently bought ABU Kiddo´s because they looked like they would be a good replacement for the old SDK. Unfortunately I don´t really like it, it feels much heavier and when it gets whet it gets hard and stiff.
I really love the one tape per side diapers. They are the ones that make me feel like wearing baby diapers.
I sometime tried Crinklz, but they have the four tape system.

My other favourite was the old plastic backed Tena Slip diaper but unfortunately that is gone also.

What would then be the best one tape per side diapers you could recommend?

vaippapoika said:
Unfortunately I don´t really like it, it feels much heavier and when it gets whet it gets hard and stiff.
I really love the one tape per side diapers. They are the ones that make me feel like wearing baby diapers.
I sometime tried Crinklz, but they have the four tape system.
What would then be the best one tape per side diapers you could recommend?

Any diaper with medium to high SAP will stiffen up quite a bit when it gets wet. (and swell up a lot) That's just how it works. Diapers with less sap that try to make up for it with lots of pulp won't swell or stiffen up that much but will be a lot thicker when try.

As for 2-tape alternatives, the best available right now is Cuddlz. I'd call those a medium sap, they do swell a bit but also wick really well and are just as comfy as Kiddo with the same front and rear elastic. But I suspect those are based on the same model of diaper, and may have the same padding. I think the shell is a bit stiffer and so it gets quite loud when wet though.

These are the two best 2-tape diapers available right now IMHO.

ABU's SDK / Cushies is another good alternative. They're also a medium sap, but have less padding and lack front elastic, so they're lower capacity and not as comfortable, but may be closer to what you're looking for. Since you've already ordered from ABU you should try them. Those are also available with a clothlike cover, though I really don't care for that at all.

Huh, what are you two talking about?
When a high sap diaper gets wet, it gets the opposite of stiff. Thet swell up and get really squishy.

And un fortunately, 2 tapes per side (there are no 4 tape diapers) are kind of a requirement for getting a decent seal around both the legs and the waist. Go with just one tape and now you have to either wear it too tight, or just live with the leaks/sagging.

With the referal 4-tape diapers = two tapes on both sides
One tape diaper = One tape per side.
Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

I prefer the one tape diapers alot. For me I get a good fit with them. The 4-tape diapers tend to get loose from the bottom tape or even loose its grip totally when walking or sitting.

My ultimate diaper would be soft and fluffy. I like it also when they swell up when wet, but the swelling has to be a "soft" swelling :)

vaippapoika said:
I prefer the one tape diapers alot. For me I get a good fit with them. The 4-tape diapers tend to get loose from the bottom tape or even loose its grip totally when walking or sitting.

My ultimate diaper would be soft and fluffy. I like it also when they swell up when wet, but the swelling has to be a "soft" swelling :)

From my experience, BetterDry / Crinklz (Thrust Vector) diapers have the most swell of any diaper, by a fairly wide margin. The shell and padding are very soft, though the padding is only a medium thickness when dry. But they're only available in 4 tape style. Cuddlz is probably the best swelling 2 tape diaper available.

If you prefer the fit of a 2 tape diaper, I suppose maybe you could just place the top and bottom tapes very close together on the front?

And FWIW, last night I somehow forgot to attach the lower tapes on my safari... I was pretty tired when I changed though - it felt strangely loose but I couldn't see the problem and just went to bed. It was only when I woke up in the morning that I noticed the lowers hadn't been deployed. Didn't leak though! So, strictly speaking, you could just ignore the lowers....

Last edited:
vaippapoika said:
With the referal 4-tape diapers = two tapes on both sides
One tape diaper = One tape per side.
Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

Oh I get the reference now. It like saying a 4-wheel drive vehicle actually means 2-wheel drive but with actually having 4 wheels. But a 1-wheel drive vehicle actually means a powered unicycle. Got it, or not....

vaippapoika said:
Hi,

SDKs are my favs. I love peeing in my diapers. Feels great, is great.

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back