Awkward Experiences Buying Diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had two awkward instances buying diapers.

FIRST: I decided I was going to buy depends pull-ups to wear during the day. I also needed to pick up deodorant and some shower stuff, so I decided I would go to a grocery store. It turned out that everyone decided to go shopping at the same time I did. I almost backed out of it, but thought I could get through it if I used the self checkout. I decided I would hit the incontinence isle first. So I quickly walked down the isle and dumped the depends into my basket, and got out of there before anyone could eye me. After grabbing the rest of my things, I made my way to the self check. Everything was going smoothly until the depends. For whatever reason it set the machine off twice and the girl, who looked to be the same age as me, had to come help. She proceeded to pull each item out and say them out loud, like there weren't other people around. Safe to say I did not do that again.

SECOND: I usually buy my diapers online, but I decided to drive to a medical supply store in the area that also catered to ABDL's. When I entered the store it was me and the 3 woman that worked there. Since this was my first time purchasing in person, I was nervous even though this store supposedly catered to ABDL's. I made my way to the ABDL area and shortly after I start looking around one of the ladies came over to see if I needed any help. I said thank you, but I was good and found what I wanted. She offered to check me out and as we walked to the counter with my packs of Rearz Safari&Seduction and some plastic pants, two elderly couples walked in. Based on the looks on their face's, they saw what I was carrying and if they didn't, they did when they followed us to the counter. With an embarrassed look on my face, I quickly paid and got out of there as fast as possible.

Poofybutt said:
Prior to the advent of self-checkouts, in my hometown anyway, I had one awkward sort of embarrassing moment buying diapers at a local pharmacy. I must have been around 15 at the time, I had already purchased diapers on a few occasions prior to this and my method was simple, get in, check out, leave and this method worked out great in the past, no prior employees at this particular pharmacy and others said anything.

Well one day I'm checking out and the clerk, who must have been in her early to mid twenties, a real bubbly, go-getter type snags the diapers and rings them up, she says to me "Are those for you?" followed by a giggle. I was of course taken aback, somewhat mortified. Fortunately, I thought on my feet and told her that they were for a family member who was sick and bedridden at home. After I told her that, she immediately praised me declaring, "Oh my, you are a very helpful and considerate person, they're lucky to have you", or something to that effect. So yeah, one awkward experience salvaged courtesy of my quick wits.

That reminds me of what I experienced at Walgreens. Only the tone of voice in the cashier at Walgreens was more like an "awww...I'm sorry you have accidents" type tone. Since she had changed her tone of voice compared to how she talked to the other customer. I think she thought because I limp and have trouble moving normally sometimes due to a birth defect, that she felt sorry for me. At least she wasn't mean like the cashier at Walmart. LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

thesecretkid said:
I have had two awkward instances buying diapers.

FIRST: I decided I was going to buy depends pull-ups to wear during the day. I also needed to pick up deodorant and some shower stuff, so I decided I would go to a grocery store. It turned out that everyone decided to go shopping at the same time I did. I almost backed out of it, but thought I could get through it if I used the self checkout. I decided I would hit the incontinence isle first. So I quickly walked down the isle and dumped the depends into my basket, and got out of there before anyone could eye me. After grabbing the rest of my things, I made my way to the self check. Everything was going smoothly until the depends. For whatever reason it set the machine off twice and the girl, who looked to be the same age as me, had to come help. She proceeded to pull each item out and say them out loud, like there weren't other people around. Safe to say I did not do that again.

SECOND: I usually buy my diapers online, but I decided to drive to a medical supply store in the area that also catered to ABDL's. When I entered the store it was me and the 3 woman that worked there. Since this was my first time purchasing in person, I was nervous even though this store supposedly catered to ABDL's. I made my way to the ABDL area and shortly after I start looking around one of the ladies came over to see if I needed any help. I said thank you, but I was good and found what I wanted. She offered to check me out and as we walked to the counter with my packs of Rearz Safari&Seduction and some plastic pants, two elderly couples walked in. Based on the looks on their face's, they saw what I was carrying and if they didn't, they did when they followed us to the counter. With an embarrassed look on my face, I quickly paid and got out of there as fast as possible.

I can't imagine having people see you with ABDL stuff. I have never heard of a medical supply story selling ABDL stuff too, but I'm also new to ABDL. I had a weird experience at Walmart when I had ordered a type of pull-up that was out of stock to be shipped from another Walmart to the local store. I went to pick it up and the clerk I won't forget the fact that the clerk said "ok...we have 2.....items". (Like she was about to say diapers or something but realizing they were adult-sized and for me, she stopped herself from saying it and said "items" instead.)

I can't imagine having people see you with ABDL stuff. I have never heard of a medical supply story selling ABDL stuff too, but I'm also new to ABDL. I had a weird experience at Walmart when I had ordered a type of pull-up that was out of stock to be shipped from another Walmart to the local store. I went to pick it up and the clerk I won't forget the fact that the clerk said "ok...we have 2.....items". (Like she was about to say diapers or something but realizing they were adult-sized and for me, she stopped herself from saying it and said "items" instead.)[/QUOTE]

It was definitely an un-welcomed experience, especially since they followed us to the counter. Luckily, it has not happened since, but I doubt it will be my last awkward experience. That is a pretty awkward experience, but at least she covered herself.

It's your right to be treated with dignity when you buy diapers. If you experience anything different, complain to their head office. (If you're lucky they may give you some diapers free by way of compensation.)

Now that I'm in my 60's, not so much problem any more. As I check out, in my mind I think to myself (and to the cashier mentally) let's both pretend that these big fluffy packages are really candy bars, and we'll both be the better for it. I remember once years ago being caught with a tube of Desitin diaper cream in my hand by a friend in Walgreens who knew I didn't have any infant children. Not a comfortable situation for either of us no doubt. Neither of us ever said a thing to the other about it in the years since. I still do whatever I can to keep my little secret to myself though, but checkout time is well, not much you can do about it. Still I suppose it's probably better to laugh than to cry :smile1:

Like yooda, at 64, I don't give it much thought. I have mental excuses ready (medical issue, prostate issues, surgery, etc.), in case it comes up. I buy cases, online, so the wife ends up dragging them indoors. Other times, at Walmart, for instance, I do self checkout, and don't try to hide anything, or give it a second thought. It's really nobody's business, but my own.

I definitely have experienced multiple embarrassing encounters. The most recent embarrassing time purchasing diapers a cashier at a Walgreens made the statement " Aren't you too old for these?" She was a cutie, I got very embarrassed, trembly, sweaty, and I just smirked and nodded with a yes.

Luckily, being a woman in my 20s means I typically don't get any weird looks when looking at or buying baby diapers. But I do always get nervous anyway seeing as most people browsing the baby isles have their infants with them so I'll pull out my phone and look back and forth at the product and my screen as if I'm trying to look for something specific. I have been asked a couple times if I need help which always shook me up a bit, but I tend to have a story ready in case they ask.

This was the little story I told at a Babies R Us when asked if I needed assistance first thing walking through the door:

"My nephew/niece's birthday is coming up soon and I want to get them a little present. Would you recommend anything for a 2 year old? He/she likes animals a lot. Especially the Lion King."

As for adult diapers, I've only bought them in person once. At a CVS in a different town. The more awkward you look the more awkward it becomes so I stayed surprisingly cool for the whole thing and it went off without a hitch. I'm sure they get lots of incontinent folks or people picking up supplies for their grandparents so I wasn't too fussed there.

Sheepies said:
Luckily, being a woman in my 20s means I typically don't get any weird looks when looking at or buying baby diapers. But I do always get nervous anyway seeing as most people browsing the baby isles have their infants with them so I'll pull out my phone and look back and forth at the product and my screen as if I'm trying to look for something specific. I have been asked a couple times if I need help which always shook me up a bit, but I tend to have a story ready in case they ask.

This was the little story I told at a Babies R Us when asked if I needed assistance first thing walking through the door:

"My nephew/niece's birthday is coming up soon and I want to get them a little present. Would you recommend anything for a 2 year old? He/she likes animals a lot. Especially the Lion King."

As for adult diapers, I've only bought them in person once. At a CVS in a different town. The more awkward you look the more awkward it becomes so I stayed surprisingly cool for the whole thing and it went off without a hitch. I'm sure they get lots of incontinent folks or people picking up supplies for their grandparents so I wasn't too fussed there.
Substitute nephew/neice depending on the product I'm looking for. Have used that story at a couple baby stores actually. They ask much more often than grocery stores it seems.

I buy at the Walgreens nearest a very large retirement community. If there are any odd looks (only very rarely), I end the transaction with "it is great you are so close to (name of place)." no body thinks twice.

I have 2 embarrassing stories that both involve K-mart, the first was not long after i got hurt and had to start wearing full time again at 17 i was buying several packs of xl goodnites and the cashier said " Aww do you have to wear goodnities" in a very condescending tone which pissed me off so i said in the very same condescending tone " aww i think i need to see the manager". Im fairly sure that comment may have cost that girl her job because the manager said there had been alot of complaints about her at that time and i never saw her again. The next k-mart story was i was at a totally different location and i was buying all kinds of household supplies because i had just moved and needed an obscene amount of stuff. Anyway i bought 2 packs of depends for me and a pack of pampers for my girlfriends daughter, so when the old woman at the register got to the diapers she said got enough diapers? I said can you really have too many. Then she says at to me at your age you shouldn't need them at all. I just walked out without my stuff i was so mad i couldnt see straight and dared not to try and argue with that idiot and me that angry with her. I just let myself cool down and went somewhere else. The last story i have was in kroger and its more funny than embarrassing i was actually heading to kmart this time but they had already closed for the night so i went in the kroger next door wher everybody i went to high school with apparently worked, so i go in there and grab 3 packs of goodnites XL and head to the checkout when i get there not only did i know the girl at the register very well but her twin sister was the bagger so the cashier didnt say anything at first but just as soon as her sister saw me and what i was buying she said " Ken, what did we tell you about wetting the bed ?" And i said well if i could just stop doing it believe me i would, i really just cant help it. Im sure as i realized i had told on myself i turned every shade of red imaginable because they both said we were just kidding you, we're sorry we, didnt know. I tried to cover up and said oh you know im just trying to be funny and smiled, but they knew that was b.s and they ragged me about it for years but never told a soul or made fun of me.

ryan2127 said:
I always dress differently when I go out to buy, that way even if someone I know happens to be there, they're less likely to assume that its me.

I also do the same. I NEVER wear tracksuit pants and running shoes in (normal) public scenarios, but do when I go shopping. Sometimes I also try to grow out facial hair a little before going then shave it off asap. EDIT: For anyone reading this, I highly reccommend doing something like this. Just don't wear anything out there.

Last edited:
I've been buying diapers at local stores for years and have rarely had an issue with the process.

I used to limit my diaper purchasing to places like Walmart and Kroger that had self-checkout lanes. After the first year of moderate diaper usage, I got over the fear and insecurity and have no problem facing the cashier. I've gotten confident and comfortable enough to ask for price checks when the diapers have rung up for more than the sale price, etc.

The only horrible experience I've had was about a year ago, when I ran into my boss in the self-checkout lane at my local Target when I was buying myself adult diapers and a cute little potty chair at the same time. He was pretty curious about my purchases and made some really insensitive jokes about the diapers, then asked why I was buying a potty chair.

Fortunately, I was quick enough on my toes to give him a plausible excuse for both purchases and joke around with him about it, but the experience left me feeling pretty shaken and unable to enjoy the excitement of either purchase for a few months.

I made sure to tell my co-workers about the awkward experience, framing it as an embarrassing but comical story, and got a lot of laughs from it. I figured that if my boss was gonna gossip about me, I might as well "head it off at the pass", so to speak.

tg4selfcheckout said:
I've been buying diapers at local stores for years and have rarely had an issue with the process.

I used to limit my diaper purchasing to places like Walmart and Kroger that had self-checkout lanes. After the first year of moderate diaper usage, I got over the fear and insecurity and have no problem facing the cashier. I've gotten confident and comfortable enough to ask for price checks when the diapers have rung up for more than the sale price, etc.

The only horrible experience I've had was about a year ago, when I ran into my boss in the self-checkout lane at my local Target when I was buying myself adult diapers and a cute little potty chair at the same time. He was pretty curious about my purchases and made some really insensitive jokes about the diapers, then asked why I was buying a potty chair.

Fortunately, I was quick enough on my toes to give him a plausible excuse for both purchases and joke around with him about it, but the experience left me feeling pretty shaken and unable to enjoy the excitement of either purchase for a few months.

I made sure to tell my co-workers about the awkward experience, framing it as an embarrassing but comical story, and got a lot of laughs from it. I figured that if my boss was gonna gossip about me, I might as well "head it off at the pass", so to speak.

This is a pretty good example of taking a potentially bad situation and getting in front of it by openly addressing it first. Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

tg4selfcheckout said:

Wow... I can almost feel what you described about running into your boss! That feeling in your stomach just dropping and staying like that for a while. I guess that's what minor PTSD feels like?

Anyways, I have had some close calls myself and cant imagine being seen by someone I know and having to explain things. I would probably go beat red and stutter hard. good job, you made the best of that situation which is good to hear. Your story reminded me to NEVER shop locally for any diapers. Period.

Buying my first plastic underpants at age 12 and telling myself going through the checkout line that I really needed them (wet dreams). The lady asked me if there was anything else and I felt like shouting at her "do you see anything else"?!!! It was only after I was leaving she said the same thing to the guy behind me and I thought good thing I did not make a scene like my first gut reaction wanted.

Second time was when I was in college and went to a different medical store to buy some replacement plastic underpants. I did not see where to go and the saleslady came out and asked me if she could help me find something. I sheepishly told her I was looking for plastic underpants and she was actually very nice as she led me to the isle and chit-chatted about something irrelevant (weather?). Once there though she asked me what size I needed and I fumbled around before getting the courage to tell her I had about a 31 inch waist. She said something about a small probably being too tight and I should try the mediums. I took them and paid and left as quick as I could as other people were in the store and she had told them she would be right with them after helping me. I just had to suck it up and knew that I needed this protection at the time due to my bedwetting and she was actually being very nice to help me out. After this my buying was not so embarrassing regardless of who was around or what others may have thought. in fact, in my later years of buying at a store (I purchase PUL underpants now online) I could easily ask an attendant when I first walk in about where the plastic underpants were at and when asked about size I would tell them I typically wore mediums but due to the maker of the plastic underpants should I go a size smaller or not. They were always helpful and I think people today who purchase undergarments like these find it easier since so many others are buying these also.

Oh lord the first few times. . . Now I know not to say anything but you try to cut the awkwardness you feel by trying to explain it away. WORSE POSSIBLE IDEA.

One time at Kmart it was one of the first times I was buying I explained some excuse about how I was buying things for a neighbor. I had Large XL Goodnites, 4t-5t training pants, and a pacifier. I wasn't asked why, but I explained it away anyway. I felt really REALLY awkward.

Ironically that wasn't the first time, my first time buying was at a CVS or Walgreens or w/e that store is now (The store keeps changing who owns it *shrug*) Anyway I went in and bought Goodnites, it was awkward but not as awkward as the Kmart trip.

thesecretkid said:

So, I'm new to this site as of literally right now, but I must know, is this medical supply store located in Northeastern Indiana?? Sounds very familiar ;)

I actually don't worry about it anymore, but it used to cause issues for me. I've had the price check nightmare come true a few times. Now my strategy is to do the peepee dance and ask them to hurry, if they don't mind... I shop with my teddy bear now anyway :)

My last time buying in the store - I went through the self checkout. One of the items I had apparently required ID. The attendant got confused and asked if I wanted a warranty on the depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back