Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Is anyone using the velcro cloth diapers or all-in-ones? I'm just wondering: sounds like a heavy initial monetary layout but maybe it could save in the long run? Do they work as well as disposables? How many wettings do they takes? Do they feel clammy right away? What about cleanup?

Curious minds...

I wear contoured cloth diapers with Velcro tabs when I wear cloth, which is not that often. With a soaker pad, they hold about as much as a mid-range disposable. I haven't really tried stressing them for capacity, only on occasion for comedic bulk. One of my observations/complaints is that cloth diapers feel wet when you wet them, which isn't hard to understand. I wouldn't really say "clammy" as to me that speaks of unpleasant coolness. They get damp and remain that way. I find that also reduces the time I can stay in a wet diaper without irritation but from others posting, it seems like it's not universal. They're okay but I like disposables better most of the time.

I have one all in one diaper and it seems sort of pointless. I don't trust it for more than a small wetting without plastic pants.

I wear cloth contours almost exclusively. I felt claustrophobic in tapes, so I decided to try cloth and never looked back. I use one insert usually, but at night I often use two. Perhaps because I went with bamboo inserts, they absorb quickly and don't really feel wet when I wet myself—sometimes I wake up and am surprised to discover I've done it. I can stay in a wet diaper for a few hours, but I prefer to change into a dry one when I can.

Cloth has saved me money, after an initial investment. Washing diapers over the span of a week, I did the math and realized that two cloths with inserts paid for themselves in two weeks. Plus, they were more comfortable to me.

I wear Velcro high rise cloth contours ( Angelfluff Ultimate 3) around the house , I only wear dispee's for going out , I spent about $20,00 on diapers, plastic pants( Angelfluff "blue ice" both pull on and snap on with wrapped elastic custom fitted so when i want or need more i can call my pattern number in and I will get perfect pants, it was an extra $500, they are made by Gary) disabled diaper pants , and onesies that was ten years ago , i havent needed anything replaced no plastic pants failures or rot from petroleum, and no car polishing or gun cleaning rags yet, you intial buy in is high, but it's money well spent , I can't do math to save my live since the brain injury but if you leave out all the trousers and onesies you bring it down by about $7000.

In cloth there is no feel dry liner wet is wet , but considering the entire garment diapers the wetness through out , you will feel wet in the entire diaper area , to my thinking barrier cream is not optional ( I favor the Restore Remedy line of products( petroleum free & has essential amino acid building blocks to healthy skin, there is so much variety from 1 step cleaner, conditioner, barrier that you just wipe on all the way to a full three step, three seperate products, at this point I have "iron skin" i can spend 16 hours in single disposable no problem , if your doctor writes you a script your health insurance will happily pay the tab)
Deciding on a dry or wet pail both have there merits ,
Maintenance is the key , deciding how often your going to be changing and how often you will be washing them will determine the quantity you need in rotation.

AIO'S arevthe worst diaper investment you ever make , even the maker will tell you that , but if you buy say 7 for really bad sick days when your out of clean diapers and yourvtoo sick to be doing it , they are usefull ! But even then if you buy extra diapers and pants youll be better served, the high heat needed to dry the diaper part will destroy the waterproof material in about two years, so the seperate products are a much better buy unless you like wearing actual waterproof pants over the diaper version of the titanic.

Also a safe and sane rule of thumb is check out one diaper from from the different vendors , just like dispee's a certain cut or style may appeal more , so buy em break em in and wear them awhile before you buy a bunch . I need a break , but more to come shortly.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

What I would add here is that cloth will smell more than disposables. If you're in a work setting, that could be a problem. I wear cloth and plastic pants most of the time, that is when I'm wearing, and it doesn't take much time after wetting before the smell is noticeable.

I used to wear cloth with PUL or vinyl pants all the time (day and night), but I haven't in the last 3 years mostly because we moved and I'm crazy busy and didn't want to deal with the laundry. I personally think they are more comfortable than disposables and especially like them at night when I don't have deal with the extra bulk under my clothes. I prefer cloth prefolds with pins or clasps over the velcro cloth diapers in either KINS flannel or Changing Times diaper twill (very similar to gauze). I found the velcro will eventually come apart before the diaper itself is due to be replaced so that's why I prefer the prefolds. Again, the main difficulty for me was laundry.

After hearing so much positive press for cloth diapers, I bought one and tried it, with a PUL cover. Like has been mentioned, it smelled a whole lot more than a disposable, but I was at home at the time so it wasn't really a huge concern to me. What I couldn't stand about it is as soon as it got even the least bit wet, the wetness just stayed there in contact with my skin. I continued to wear it for a few hours to give it a fair chance, and had a couple bladder spams in that time frame, and it just felt like I was sitting on a wet towel. It wasn't completely soaked, but I was so put off by the sensation of stewing in my own juices that I just took it off, put it in its own airtight bag, and threw it out. No cloth for me, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

For reference, this is the one I tried: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CRMI44 (Leakmaster night-weight birdseye prefold)

I wear gauze cloth pin-on diapers most of the time, especially over night with vinyl plastic pants. Never had a problem with feeling clammy or cleanup. Although disposables are more convenient for when I am away from home the cost of disposables is much higher. With proper care, cloth diapers last many years and several pairs of plastic pants are inexpensive. If you are a heavy wetter a cloth insert or double diapering helps also.

Cloth or disposable

HeronimusM said:
i've got cloth as backup and weekends only, the velcro ones.

the fit is superior against disposable,
they dont feel wet, ( they absorb and dry a bit)
mine are Drymeds, and with a booster it holds 3400ml
they are very bulky, so home use here only
i would love to go cloth 24/7 but work prevents this
weekends where no one visits me i'm in cloth....

I frankly like both. I actually like the cloth for the wet feeling and for holding more pea. I like the disposables for being able to use them in the public. I like Rearz for their ability to hold more pea. At home I generally wear cloth with plastic pants and a onesie. The onesie holds the cloth diaper up better and I feel younger. I have no choice but to use diapers do to illness when I was a child. Encephalitis and Polio. So I very use to wearing them. Was I made fun of and bullied and laughed at, of course I was. My own sister is the worse for it. But after many years I have grown immune to her nasty doings. I say you have no choice so enjoy it as much as possible.

I have some Leakmaster AIO with Velcro closer on them , I like them but only wear them at home as they are very bulky and would be difficult to hide, they are very thick and I find that they are hard to get dry, have to run them tough the dryer twice. All that being said I really like them for around the house, they do feel wet but that is to be expected,

I am in the process of transitioning fully to cloth at night. I find that cloth prevents the leaks I normally get as a side-sleeper when I wear disposables. For a while, I wore a Leakmaster cloth contour over the disposable at night, but decided if I am going to wash a couple diapers anyway, I might as well go all-in and save money over premium disposables. I've only tried one cloth AIO and was not impressed. The one I tried was cheaply made and the plastic cover melted immediately in the dryer on the low heat setting (as recommended by the seller). I will probably try other brands in hopes of finding one that works, as I do like the concept and could seeing wearing AIOs during the day at home. I do have a couple heavy weight contours with Velcro that I like very much. They fit well, snug up nicely, and feel comfortable. I also have heavyweight prefolds and contours that I rotate through, depending on my mood. Yes, I feel more damp than I do in a disposable, but it doesn't become bothersome until it is really soaked. While I don't especially like dealing with wet diapers and the laundering process, the money saved (even using cloth only at night) makes it worth the extra effort, at least for me.

RedStripeLvr said:
I am in the process of transitioning fully to cloth at night. I find that cloth prevents the leaks I normally get as a side-sleeper when I wear disposables. For a while, I wore a Leakmaster cloth contour over the disposable at night, but decided if I am going to wash a couple diapers anyway, I might as well go all-in and save money over premium disposables. I've only tried one cloth AIO and was not impressed. The one I tried was cheaply made and the plastic cover melted immediately in the dryer on the low heat setting (as recommended by the seller). I will probably try other brands in hopes of finding one that works, as I do like the concept and could seeing wearing AIOs during the day at home. I do have a couple heavy weight contours with Velcro that I like very much. They fit well, snug up nicely, and feel comfortable. I also have heavyweight prefolds and contours that I rotate through, depending on my mood. Yes, I feel more damp than I do in a disposable, but it doesn't become bothersome until it is really soaked. While I don't especially like dealing with wet diapers and the laundering process, the money saved (even using cloth only at night) makes it worth the extra effort, at least for me.
A great nite diaper is the Angelfluff super heavy weight nite diaper I get with Velcro because i would not be able to use pins because of my neuromuscular disease. I sleep in them ever nite,Angelfluff is also so far the only place to get Gary active wear PUL for high rise diapers both my day contours and my night are high rise, gives you extra coverage.i have had mine 11 years they just get nicer and more comfy.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
A great nite diaper is the Angelfluff super heavy weight nite diaper I get with Velcro because i would not be able to use pins because of my neuromuscular disease. I sleep in them ever nite,Angelfluff is also so far the only place to get Gary active wear PUL for high rise diapers both my day contours and my night are high rise, gives you extra coverage.i have had mine 11 years they just get nicer and more comfy.

Thanks Tetra! I've heard good things about the Angelfluff with Velcro. I need to place an order and give them a try - I think I will be inclined to wear cloth more often (around the house, etc) if I have quality diapers and don't have to deal with pins. How does the absorbency of the super heavy weights compare to, say, a Gary or Changing Times night weight diaper?

Also, I am waiting to "Level Up" before I am able to reply to PM's

Those velcro Angelfluff diapers look nice but I've never worn cloth. How many cloth diapers would someone need? (If just worn at night and if someone wore them 24/7.)

I use cloth on my days off and when I sleep at home. I have about 18-20 day weight diapers and 4 heavy night time diapers. If I know I will only have about 5 or 6 hours to sleep, I'll just use a day weight diaper. I wash when I have about 7 diapers in my pail.

PaddedDeist said:
Those velcro Angelfluff diapers look nice but I've never worn cloth. How many cloth diapers would someone need? (If just worn at night and if someone wore them 24/7.)

For 24/7 you will need a fair amount but it will depend on how often you can do laundry and how many you will use in a tropical day.

Figuring 3 diapers a day times 3 days between washing = 9 diapers plus a couple spares, I think a minimum of 12 would be about right. And don't forget the plastic pants. Again you will need several pairs.

All in one cloth diapers

Trevor said:
I wear contoured cloth diapers with Velcro tabs when I wear cloth, which is not that often. With a soaker pad, they hold about as much as a mid-range disposable. I haven't really tried stressing them for capacity, only on occasion for comedic bulk. One of my observations/complaints is that cloth diapers feel wet when you wet them, which isn't hard to understand. I wouldn't really say "clammy" as to me that speaks of unpleasant coolness. They get damp and remain that way. I find that also reduces the time I can stay in a wet diaper without irritation but from others posting, it seems like it's not universal. They're okay but I like disposables better most of the time.

I have one all in one diaper and it seems sort of pointless. I don't trust it for more than a small wetting without plastic pants.

The All in Ones are great if you can put up with the short life of the plastic part, which can and will wear out in a short period of time from washing. Also I have found from personal use that the cloth will bulk up in areas and get hard from washing and drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back