cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your diapers are getting hard something isn't right in how your washing ,quilting or bulking up is normal, I have been using my cloth for 11 years and they get softer over time from use not harder

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

i have some birdseye and gauze pin-on diapers from baby-pants the more i have washed them the softer they have become, maybe try switching laundry soaps? i find the flat pre fold pin ons to be the best option for me. i wear only cloth at night now unless im traveling. and northshores or little paws in the daytime. <i get so sick of boring white diapers i spiced it up)

I bought my cloth 11 years ago ,my cloth contours U-3 high rise were $69 dollars a piece( so according to my calculator that each diaper cost 6.272727 a year thus far) i bought the flagship model of PP'S called blue ice which are exclusive to Angelfluff made by Gary each pair was $49(4.454545 a year)they are high rise wrapped wide elastic at waist and legs and they were made to my measurements and tweaked for my comfort and use ( I planned ahead in that i got smaller leg openings so when I first got them I was bigger and toward the upper end of leg sizing ,reality told me my muscles and size were going to be declining so now I am perfect in the middle of sizing [most people don't know that pants that are to tight are as bad as pants to loose as far as leaks go] so i planned perfectly ,or mother nature let me have a small battle because shes going to win the war!) .

So although the initial price was steep , numbers dont lie and those diapers and pants get cheaper by the years of service ,if I didn't get my money's worth out of them I would be the first to admit it , because I am notoriously frugal ( some of you know the motto I adopted after I got sick "Quality not Quantity ") I know my life is going to prematurely end ,so I am going for a good quality life , you can spend $1.80 for a snickers or milky way at 7-11 which is good or you can go to the chocalate confectioner store and for a little more get a single truffle that is exquisite,sometimes less is truly more ,you won't remember all the snickers you ate in your life but you will remember those moments of bliss betwwen you and that truffle.

Admittedly I bought more diapers and pants then I realy needed expecting them not to have the longevity I have enjoyed and still have new ones in the closet .I have paid far less for cloth per year than disposables I change five times a day and laundry every three days so call it 20 diapers in rotation they cost me less per year than a month supply of disposables.

Tetra said:
I bought my cloth 11 years ago ,my cloth contours U-3 high rise were $69 dollars a piece( so according to my calculator that each diaper cost 6.272727 a year thus far) i bought the flagship model of PP'S called blue ice which are exclusive to Angelfluff made by Gary each pair was $49(4.454545 a year)they are high rise wrapped wide elastic at waist and legs and they were made to my measurements and tweaked for my comfort and use ( I planned ahead in that i got smaller leg openings so when I first got them I was bigger and toward the upper end of leg sizing ,reality told me my muscles and size were going to be declining so now I am perfect in the middle of sizing [most people don't know that pants that are to tight are as bad as pants to loose as far as leaks go] so i planned perfectly ,or mother nature let me have a small battle because shes going to win the war!) .

So although the initial price was steep , numbers dont lie and those diapers and pants get cheaper by the years of service ,if I didn't get my money's worth out of them I would be the first to admit it , because I am notoriously frugal ( some of you know the motto I adopted after I got sick "Quality not Quantity ") I know my life is going to prematurely end ,so I am going for a good quality life , you can spend $1.80 for a snickers or milky way at 7-11 which is good or you can go to the chocalate confectioner store and for a little more get a single truffle that is exquisite,sometimes less is truly more ,you won't remember all the snickers you ate in your life but you will remember those moments of bliss betwwen you and that truffle.

Admittedly I bought more diapers and pants then I realy needed expecting them not to have the longevity I have enjoyed and still have new ones in the closet .I have paid far less for cloth per year than disposables I change five times a day and laundry every three days so call it 20 diapers in rotation they cost me less per year than a month supply of disposables.

Except of course you aren't figuring in the cost to launder them. There's soap, water, electricity, drying (if also electric), and also whatever your personal time is worth. Oh, and don't forget the diaper covers. To some that grand total, including the cost of the diaper itself, just isn't worth it.

Slomo said:
Except of course you aren't figuring in the cost to launder them. There's soap, water, electricity, drying (if also electric), and also whatever your personal time is worth. Oh, and don't forget the diaper covers. To some that grand total, including the cost of the diaper itself, just isn't worth it.
Gas and electric are included in my rent (washer is electric dryer gas) generaly buy alot of soap when its buy one get one fragrance and die free for diapers and bed pads , if I wanted to wear myself out I could do laundry (I have old fashioned top loader ,the new fangled ones with front loader suck at washing diapers , the gaskets leak and the rust out very quickly , my washer is 19 years old ) but since i have him to do things eith my aide does laundry ,dishes walks my service dog when its not safe for me to be out (when your rail thin and losing your muscles anything below 80 and shady is cold ,i always dress in layers ,thick layers but yes I understand the two schools of thought as far as cost of disposables environmentally and the reusable in water use and time , it's probably a dead heat and comes down to personal choice ? Do you wear a cover over you PP'S? I dont onesie and done !.

When my right side was paralyzed I got cloth so I could diaper myself with one arm , back then a premium diaper had Velcro that insurance refused to pay for as it was a luxury (I was paralyzed 5.5 years , regaining feeling and some use on Dec 2 2010 , of course I have fought like he'll to resurrect as much use and function since then , being able to keep my wrist in normal neutral position has been a great accomplishment ) anyway the war rages as people debate cloth and disposables , I play for both teams depending upon which is less hassle , it's easier to have stashed cases in friends garages anyplace I am likely to go, or shipped ahead to hotel . I am comfortable in either ,and obviously I am not closeted about my health conditions ,and i think my friends respect that i am so honest in preserving there stuff and not hiding behind oops I leaked and trashed your _______.thats not how I roll , literally !

Tetra said:
Gas and electric are included in my rent (washer is electric dryer gas) generaly buy alot of soap when its buy one get one fragrance and die free for diapers and bed pads , if I wanted to wear myself out I could do laundry (I have old fashioned top loader ,the new fangled ones with front loader suck at washing diapers , the gaskets leak and the rust out very quickly , my washer is 19 years old ) but since i have him to do things eith my aide does laundry ,dishes walks my service dog when its not safe for me to be out (when your rail thin and losing your muscles anything below 80 and shady is cold ,i always dress in layers ,thick layers but yes I understand the two schools of thought as far as cost of disposables environmentally and the reusable in water use and time , it's probably a dead heat and comes down to personal choice ? Do you wear a cover over you PP'S? I dont onesie and done !.

When my right side was paralyzed I got cloth so I could diaper myself with one arm , back then a premium diaper had Velcro that insurance refused to pay for as it was a luxury (I was paralyzed 5.5 years , regaining feeling and some use on Dec 2 2010 , of course I have fought like he'll to resurrect as much use and function since then , being able to keep my wrist in normal neutral position has been a great accomplishment ) anyway the war rages as people debate cloth and disposables , I play for both teams depending upon which is less hassle , it's easier to have stashed cases in friends garages anyplace I am likely to go, or shipped ahead to hotel . I am comfortable in either ,and obviously I am not closeted about my health conditions ,and i think my friends respect that i am so honest in preserving there stuff and not hiding behind oops I leaked and trashed your _______.thats not how I roll , literally !

Personally? Yeah I wear a diaper cover- though only at work when it counts. I normally wash my covers one a week as long as I haven't had any leaks (which are seldom now that I use Crinklz). My oldest PUL pants have got to be 5-7 years old by now- and still with plenty of life left in them.

I totally get the draw for reusable cloth though. Environment concerns/comparisons aside, those things work great with enough layers to them! They just too thick caused too much pain in my hips to keep using them as a side sleeper though.

ps. In years past when I used lesser diapers I trashed a chair at my work. Requisitioning a new one was-- revealing.

Slomo said:
Personally? Yeah I wear a diaper cover- though only at work when it counts. I normally wash my covers one a week as long as I haven't had any leaks (which are seldom now that I use Crinklz). My oldest PUL pants have got to be 5-7 years old by now- and still with plenty of life left in them.

I totally get the draw for reusable cloth though. Environment concerns/comparisons aside, those things work great with enough layers to them! They just too thick caused too much pain in my hips to keep using them as a side sleeper though.

ps. In years past when I used lesser diapers I trashed a chair at my work. Requisitioning a new one was-- revealing.
Yeah I bet that was "fun" every office has that deranged toddler who just want to be ignorant .
That's a pretty good run on those PUL , I guess the peeps who said the stuff is better wasn't kidding , I bet they cost a damn bundle a couple of mine disappeared recently and i asked my aide if one of his daughters liked them ? He thought I was kidding and yep they got mixed in with there clothes , they were gray and girls don't wear alot of grey panties!

I hear you on the hips , I have a medical tempur pedic that i have to replace and they don't make them anymore , so i have to figure out a new sleep surface for pain and pressure management .

I wear cloth and plastic pants almost 24/7 now. I have pretty much gotten used to them, although if I do wear a disposable once in a while, I notice that the disposables make me feel a lot dryer, and are easier to change in a public rest room.

chuck said:
I wear cloth and plastic pants almost 24/7 now. I have pretty much gotten used to them, although if I do wear a disposable once in a while, I notice that the disposables make me feel a lot dryer, and are easier to change in a public rest room.
The stay dri lining in disposables is fake your not realy dry when your wet,i am majorly cloth myself and i am used to feeling wet,if you never wore a synthetic diaper you never miss the feeling.

Tetra said:
The stay dri lining in disposables is fake your not realy dry when your wet,i am majorly cloth myself and i am used to feeling wet,if you never wore a synthetic diaper you never miss the feeling.

The wetness in my cloth diapers doesn't bother me. I just notice they feel different than disposables.

Tetra said:

No, that lining does actually work- to a degree. Yes the diaper is wet, but the lining creates a thin layer which keeps some of that wetness away from your skin. Not all of it for sure, but definitely some. With cloth, you just don't get that same level of separation.

Personally, I've worn both quite extensively. I never found any problem with feeling extra wet in a cloth diaper but it just wasn't something I was explicitly going for.

I've just joined the cloth brigade, with a total of four square terry cloth nappies. What's a good fold for adult cloth nappies? Am currently using the kite fold

As someone who is looking to try cloth for the first time what would you all recommend?
I don't want to be spending too much just incase cloth isn't for me.

Well what are you looking for do you wear for pleasure or illness.
Are you looking for big thick thirsty or are you looking for something discrete for work & playtime , or to sleep in.
What diapers do you currently wear or have worn.
What size are you .
Do you have plastic,rubber ,vinyl or PUL pants or will they be purchased along with diaper.
Are you looking for standard rise ,bikini cut or high rise
Standard is about underwear height bikini is low and high rise is about the level of decent disposable (around your belly button unless you order it higher)
What's your budget.

These questions will help us help you !

You have hundreds or more years of diaper knowledge here but it helps alot to know more then you want to try cloth.

Tetra said:
Well what are you looking for do you wear for pleasure or illness.
Are you looking for big thick thirsty or are you looking for something discrete for work & playtime , or to sleep in.
What diapers do you currently wear or have worn.
What size are you .
Do you have plastic,rubber ,vinyl or PUL pants or will they be purchased along with diaper.
Are you looking for standard rise ,bikini cut or high rise
Standard is about underwear height bikini is low and high rise is about the level of decent disposable (around your belly button unless you order it higher)
What's your budget.

These questions will help us help you !

You have hundreds or more years of diaper knowledge here but it helps alot to know more then you want to try cloth.

I apologise for my vagueness, i didn't think about the details 🙄

I am a AB/DL so enjoy wearing for pleasure however these will be for occasional night time accidents that I suffer with, so I guess big and thirsty will give me the best chance of avoiding leaks.

I currently use Abena M4's for nights, I am inbetween a 32" and 34" waist.

I will need to purchase everything in one go unfortunately, however I am only looking for 1 of each at the moment to try.

I will probably go for high rise as they are only for night time discretion isn't really a priority.

Thank you for your help.

Fold

ozziebee said:
I've just joined the cloth brigade, with a total of four square terry cloth nappies. What's a good fold for adult cloth nappies? Am currently using the kite fold

I like bikini twist--take a 36" square diaper, fold it in half, slide it under you and make a 180 degree twist before pinning each side. Makes it more absorbent where needed and comfortable too. Not real bulky; add plastic pants and you are good to go.

I looked up how to do old fahiond diapers,towel,plastic pants &pin got one on!lol

Yes, I'm using snappees for pins. Worked well last night :) So comfy these cloth nappies are - I slept like a baby :)

Maxx said:
Interesting. Never tried that. It seems that wouldn't work if you were going to mess. I'll have to try that on a 'wet only' session.

I haven't had any problems when I mess. Just make sure the twist is more toward the front. That covers both issues. Snap-on plastic pants make changing easier, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back