Diaper leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISSY1959

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
is there a reasonable price diaper out there that does not leak. I have a diaper cover works to some point but I use a catheter a lot so I fill up a diaper. side and top leakage when you lay down is mostly the problem. waiting to long to change sometimes.

The best diapers are bought online. Northshore and XP Medical are good for medical (plain) diapers. ABU and Bambino if you want an AB diaper.

If you haven't located it yet, there is an extensive review of diapers HERE.

You really need to test several brands and types of diapers. A diaper that fits and doesn't leak for one person, may leak for another.

MISSY1959 said:
is there a reasonable price diaper out there that does not leak. I have a diaper cover works to some point but I use a catheter a lot so I fill up a diaper. side and top leakage when you lay down is mostly the problem. waiting to long to change sometimes.

I too am cathed and let it drain into my diaper. You will need either Northshore supreme, Confidry 24/7, or Betterdry/Crinkz.

Hi Missy, sorry no recommendations since all diapees can leak at some point but have you/do you:

1. Do the vertical fold on your diapees to activate the channels front to back to help maximise them?
2. Have you tried stuffers/boosters to up the capacity of the ones you are using?

preventing leaks is usually more about how you tape up than the diaper itself. Some diapers will leak more than others, but you'll get a lot more mileage working on your tapes.

bambinod said:
preventing leaks is usually more about how you tape up than the diaper itself. Some diapers will leak more than others, but you'll get a lot more mileage working on your tapes.

Good point, but also note a diaper is much more prone to leak when it gets close to it's capacity. I know some will think, well duh, but apparently this isn't very obvious for a lot of people.

Thinner and less absorbent diapers will leak more often than thicker premium diapers. Not just because they need to be changed more often, but because they are simply not as capable.

It's also important to note that bosters do absolutely nothing for impriving the capability or reliabilty of any diaper out there. All boosters do is delay how long you have till you leak. As a catch 22, when it does leak an added booster will mean there is more pee there to leak. As such, boosers equal bigger and more noticable leaks when they do happen (though because of the delay they will happen less often).

As a rule of thumb, you are much better off taking the money you spend on boosters and just adding it into the cost of the diaper by just getting better, more reliable, diapers. (Though I understand insurance limitations don't always allow for such logic).

Hi

I too also have a catheter. yes I have tried many diapers and the only one that I find works the best it the Northshore Supreme. It is comfortable and very absorbent. have only leaked once and that was my fault.

If you have ever slept in a diaper with a catheter these are the only ones that actually work well. Give the a try

Slomo said:
I too am cathed and let it drain into my diaper. You will need either Northshore supreme, Confidry 24/7, or Betterdry/Crinkz.

I’m the same exact boat. 24/7s are amazing. I do sometimes use an extender and position it in the back of my diaper and then through out the day renovebthe extender and ketit drain in the front. Diapers last longer that way.

mayhem said:
I’m the same exact boat. 24/7s are amazing. I do sometimes use an extender and position it in the back of my diaper and then through out the day renovebthe extender and ketit drain in the front. Diapers last longer that way.

Yeah way too many diapers only wet in the front before leaking. The Northshore Supremes I wear wet through the back of the diaper. Even when standing.

Give them a try. also inexpensive

For those of you using catheters and draining into a diaper instead of a bag...I'd like to understand more about why and how you use this combination. Sounds like there may be difficulties doing this yourself, especially if bladder is full at outset. Male/female, what type of catheter, tube, etc...is urethra stabilized ok...discussed this with a doctor, etc...

Sounds like there could be some opportunities to improve on this experience and I'd like to understand more so I can see if we can help.

Private message is fine too if not comfortable sharing in public.

Thx!
Adam

Hi Adam

Mine started with a bout or BPH about 5 years ago. I went to the hospital and could not urinate. they used a catheter to drain but my prostate was was simply too big. So they installed a foley for a few days and had me on meds for 2 weeks.

Since then I have had about 4 times a year the bph rears its ugly head. I have learning to self catheterize and take care of business myself. No I used to wear a bag. This is a no go as a bag is extremely uncomfortable and pulls on the catheter. I decided that a diaper is a better choice. I can still wear shorts, move freely and be comfortable. Average wearing ime is about 2 to 3 weeks but I leave it in longer sometimes as it makes life easier as I am always on the move.

Now I have found some differing opinions about this on Dr. Google soo to say. There are a few cases where people have posted that their doctor says it is ok. I am careful as i take cranberry pills and maybe have a few cranberry drinks a week. Never had a problem.

redhawkpath said:
Hi Adam

Mine started with a bout or BPH about 5 years ago. I went to the hospital and could not urinate. they used a catheter to drain but my prostate was was simply too big. So they installed a foley for a few days and had me on meds for 2 weeks.

Since then I have had about 4 times a year the bph rears its ugly head. I have learning to self catheterize and take care of business myself. No I used to wear a bag. This is a no go as a bag is extremely uncomfortable and pulls on the catheter. I decided that a diaper is a better choice. I can still wear shorts, move freely and be comfortable. Average wearing ime is about 2 to 3 weeks but I leave it in longer sometimes as it makes life easier as I am always on the move.

Now I have found some differing opinions about this on Dr. Google soo to say. There are a few cases where people have posted that their doctor says it is ok. I am careful as i take cranberry pills and maybe have a few cranberry drinks a week. Never had a problem.

Thx very much for sharing.

NorthShoreAdam said:
For those of you using catheters and draining into a diaper instead of a bag...I'd like to understand more about why and how you use this combination. Sounds like there may be difficulties doing this yourself, especially if bladder is full at outset. Male/female, what type of catheter, tube, etc...is urethra stabilized ok...discussed this with a doctor, etc...

Sounds like there could be some opportunities to improve on this experience and I'd like to understand more so I can see if we can help.

Thx!
Adam

I’ll gladly explain! I’m an active guy and the leg bags slide down my leg when just slightly full. One time I was about to go in to my urologist for an appointment and had just pried my car. I hopped out and my leg bag which had filled during the hour long trip slid down my leg, only stopped by the balloon inside my bladder. It was excruciatingly painful.
I also still have to wear diapers even with a leg bag because I pee around the catheter due to bladder spasms. So rather than risk any further injuries and the fact that I already still have to wear diapers my urologist recommended that I just drain directly into a diaper. There is little risk of infection contrary to what some Internet post say. These recommendations come from a top urologist in Philadelphia.
The catheter helps tame my neurogenic bladder somewhat. While I still do get painful bladder spasms, they are not nearly as much is what they used to be. Please feel free to ask me any other questions I’ll be happy to Answer. Again the only reason I have not gone fully to Northshores diapers are because the stuffing does not rise all the way in the back and front. I’m sure it’s only a psychological obstacle for me, but it also does not feel right. The only other thing is that I wish there was a size between medium and large. I’m over 6 foot tall and weigh 200 pounds. I have a strange bodybuilder I guess where I am in between something like a better dry medium and a comfydry 24/7. The padding on the butt of a larger diaper doesn’t cover me properly, I assume because my legs are thick enough for that size.

mayhem said:

By extender do you mean like an external catheter? I have the issue with the front overloading on the diapers as well too early and the back being basically unused. I've considered looking into external catheters so that the urine can go more to the back as well as so I don't have to worry about the positioning of my unfortunate masculine bits.

mayhem said:
I’ll gladly explain! I’m an active guy and the leg bags slide down my leg when just slightly full. One time I was about to go in to my urologist for an appointment and had just pried my car. I hopped out and my leg bag which had filled during the hour long trip slid down my leg, only stopped by the balloon inside my bladder. It was excruciatingly painful.
I also still have to wear diapers even with a leg bag because I pee around the catheter due to bladder spasms. So rather than risk any further injuries and the fact that I already still have to wear diapers my urologist recommended that I just drain directly into a diaper. There is little risk of infection contrary to what some Internet post say. These recommendations come from a top urologist in Philadelphia.
The catheter helps tame my neurogenic bladder somewhat. While I still do get painful bladder spasms, they are not nearly as much is what they used to be. Please feel free to ask me any other questions I’ll be happy to Answer. Again the only reason I have not gone fully to Northshores diapers are because the stuffing does not rise all the way in the back and front. I’m sure it’s only a psychological obstacle for me, but it also does not feel right. The only other thing is that I wish there was a size between medium and large. I’m over 6 foot tall and weigh 200 pounds. I have a strange bodybuilder I guess where I am in between something like a better dry medium and a comfydry 24/7. The padding on the butt of a larger diaper doesn’t cover me properly, I assume because my legs are thick enough for that size.

NorthShoreAdam said:

Thx!
Adam

Adam, the type of catheter we are talking about is a Folley type baloon catheter. It is inserted, then a baloon is inflated at the tip (inside the bladder). The catheter stays in place for up to a month, before being changed out.

We ONLY EVER have these inserted per our doctors recommendations, and under their guidance. Most often, it is called for when our sphincters are not working, our bladder are distended to overflowing and need to be shurnk/rested, or (like me) we have a urethral blockage.

With a folley cath in place, this allows our bladders to constantly drip drain. Normally, the catheter is hooked up to a collection bag, but many (including myself) find the bags to be cumbersome and uncomfortable- especially when more than a cup or two of pee is weighing it down to one side.

Since diapers are contour fitted, and spread that pee around, they are inherently more comfortable. There used to be an old concern that an open catheter system will increase a chance for UTIs, but urologist have come to realize that as long as we are constantly dripping pee, we are constantly flushing it out- and not giving any bacteria the chance to take hold. Staying well hydrated is extremely important to ensure this too.

As a side note, all diapers tend to work better when we have a constant drip, versus flooding them all at once. This allows the diaper more time to wick the pee to other areas without overflowing and leaking.

It also tends to be more difficult for us to notice when the diaper is full too (since our pee is better wicked away without building up). As such, high capacity diapers like your Supremes or Betterdry (or Confidry too) are always a must when letting a catheter to drip drain into one.

Slomo said:
Adam, the type of catheter we are talking about is a Folley type baloon catheter. It is inserted, then a baloon is inflated at the tip (inside the bladder). The catheter stays in place for up to a month, before being changed out.

We ONLY EVER have these inserted per our doctors recommendations, and under their guidance. Most often, it is called for when our sphincters are not working, our bladder are distended to overflowing and need to be shurnk/rested, or (like me) we have a urethral blockage.

With a folley cath in place, this allows our bladders to constantly drip drain. Normally, the catheter is hooked up to a collection bag, but many (including myself) find the bags to be cumbersome and uncomfortable- especially when more than a cup or two of pee is weighing it down to one side.

Since diapers are contour fitted, and spread that pee around, they are inherently more comfortable. There used to be an old concern that an open catheter system will increase a chance for UTIs, but urologist have come to realize that as long as we are constantly dripping pee, we are constantly flushing it out- and not giving any bacteria the chance to take hold. Staying well hydrated is extremely important to ensure this too.

As a side note, all diapers tend to work better when we have a constant drip, versus flooding them all at once. This allows the diaper more time to wick the pee to other areas without overflowing and leaking.

It also tends to be more difficult for us to notice when the diaper is full too (since our pee is better wicked away without building up). As such, high capacity diapers like your Supremes or Betterdry (or Confidry too) are always a must when letting a catheter to drip drain into one.

ClickyKeys said:
By extender do you mean like an external catheter? I have the issue with the front overloading on the diapers as well too early and the back being basically unused. I've considered looking into external catheters so that the urine can go more to the back as well as so I don't have to worry about the positioning of my unfortunate masculine bits.

He means a catheter tube extender. It allows you to extend the position the catheter outlet. The tubes come standard with most drainage bags so you can position the bag a little lower on your leg. Like mentioned though, that will let the bag fall down more too.

Like this. https://www.allegromedical.com/cath...-tube-for-leg-and-drainagel-bags-p549017.html

I found using a special leg sock/mesh helps prevent the bag from falling, and is much more comfortable than a coule of elastic straps. The sock has two layers to it, with the top open. You slide the bag in between the two layers, and that keeps the bag in place better. Unfortunately it still doesn't help when the bag starts filling up and becomes oddly weighted, so that's where diapers come in as a better option.

Lime this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X3MBCSQ/ref=sxts_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516894535&sr=2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back