Moving to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

freechris

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I believe that, in the next one to three years, I may be moving to Canada. I currently live in the United States and have quite the personal inventory of Bambino and Rearz products; in fact, I have quite a few opaque plastic storage bins of them in my closet right now (I live with family members who do not know that I am ABDL.)
My plan is to either have a moving van service transport these across the border or for me to transport them myself in, perhaps, a Uhaul trailer of some sorts. My concern is about what's going to happen at the border with customs and security. I heard somewhere that Canadian authorities stamp an "Adult Diapers" label on the outside of the box/container for security purposes. Is that still true?
I just need some overall advice on how to handle transport.

Just curious, but why are you planning to move to Canada?

freechris said:
So I believe that, in the next one to three years, I may be moving to Canada. I currently live in the United States and have quite the personal inventory of Bambino and Rearz products; in fact, I have quite a few opaque plastic storage bins of them in my closet right now (I live with family members who do not know that I am ABDL.)
My plan is to either have a moving van service transport these across the border or for me to transport them myself in, perhaps, a Uhaul trailer of some sorts. My concern is about what's going to happen at the border with customs and security. I heard somewhere that Canadian authorities stamp an "Adult Diapers" label on the outside of the box/container for security purposes. Is that still true?
I just need some overall advice on how to handle transport.
No they do not lable things. In fact they can be very discreet. Questions may be directed but very careful about privacy. Any idea on where in Canada? I live in Niagara Falls Ontario. And originally from New Brunswick (east of Maine).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

12srepaid said:

I've done research. It appears that the economy and healthcare system seem more stable in Canada than in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

12srepaid said:

Also, I wish to pursue a career both in data science and novel writing. I think Canada may actually be a better environment for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Downey935 said:
No they do not lable things. In fact they can be very discreet. Questions may be directed but very careful about privacy. Any idea on where in Canada? I live in Niagara Falls Ontario. And originally from New Brunswick (east of Maine).

I've not located a specific place yet. But I was eyeballing either Nova Scotia or the Toronto area.

I'm from Nova Scotia super beautiful!

I forsee this thread going off the rails very quickly Hey Mods keep a close eye on this one eh?

Moving to Canada is lengthy, expensive, and legally complicated process. Transporting your diaper stash across the border will be the least of your concerns. You can't just rent a U-haul, pack up all your stuff, and drive across the border with the intent of immigrating. If you do that they'll arrest you, send you back to the US, and ban you from ever entering again.

FWIW, Nova Scotia is way cheaper than anywhere in the greater Toronto area. Like, orders of magnitude cheaper. OTH, Rearz is about a 60 minute drive west of Toronto.

INTrePid said:
Moving to Canada is lengthy, expensive, and legally complicated process. Transporting your diaper stash across the border will be the least of your concerns. You can't just rent a U-haul, pack up all your stuff, and drive across the border with the intent of immigrating. If you do that they'll arrest you, send you back to the US, and ban you from ever entering again.
Exactly Since U Haul Ryder Budget and Enterprise & Penske rent a trucks forbid you from going across the border to Canada or Mexico period! If you do cross the border they will notify the Canadian RCMP or the Mexican Police and have you brought back across the border to the US to face auto theft charges since all 3 companies insurances do not cover them internationally. I know this how? Well I was transferring from Michigan to Massachusetts for my job and inquired about crossing Canada to save me a tank of fuel and about 7 hours of travel time from having to go Via Cleveland and Buffalo Via the NY Thruway I-90. And FYI you have tolls to pay too so better budget for that also. So You shalt not rent a truck and go cross borders. The only companies allowed to do such personal goods transport is International moving companies whom have the proper insurances and proper authorization by the foreign countries.

I moved from the U.S. to Canada 50 years ago in order to accept an excellent job offer. Canada is a great place to live. Before moving here, go to the nearest consulate or go online and fill out the necessary paper work in order to get the visa that you need in order to move here legally. Don’t just show up. Americans are allowed to visit Canada freely. But there is a time limit after which you’re supposed to go back, and Canadian employers are supposed to check your visa status before hiring you.

Inconinmiss said:
I moved from the U.S. to Canada 50 years ago in order to accept an excellent job offer. Canada is a great place to live. Before moving here, go to the nearest consulate or go online and fill out the necessary paper work in order to get the visa that you need in order to move here legally. Don’t just show up. Americans are allowed to visit Canada freely. But there is a time limit after which you’re supposed to go back, and Canadian employers are supposed to check your visa status before hiring you.
I would imagine, too, that one isn't simply approved for work visa status because one wishes to be. Most countries--and I expect Canada is one of these--aren't interested in bringing in unskilled labor or other types of workers that are already available domestically. There are probably certain industries, levels of education, and other things that are major factors in eligibility for a work visa in Canada. In short: Immigration isn't something to be taken for granted, or taken lightly.

Fellow Nova Scotian here too!

I've not located a specific place yet. But I was eyeballing either Nova Scotia or the Toronto area.

Cottontail said:
I would imagine, too, that one isn't simply approved for work visa status because one wishes to be. Most countries--and I expect Canada is one of these--aren't interested in bringing in unskilled labor or other types of workers that are already available domestically. There are probably certain industries, levels of education, and other things that are major factors in eligibility for a work visa in Canada. In short: Immigration isn't something to be taken for granted, or taken lightly.

Oh I'm aware of all that. But I will be going there as a data scientist, which is most definitely a qualifiable trade skill. I'm looking into, and have been looking into, the seemingly daunting paperwork requirements. I am, after all, a critical thinker :)

freechris said:
Oh I'm aware of all that. But I will be going there as a data scientist, which is most definitely a qualifiable trade skill. I'm looking into, and have been looking into, the seemingly daunting paperwork requirements. I am, after all, a critical thinker :)

Data Scientist what in Sam Hill is a Data Scientist??? never heard of such a job title...

xpluswearer said:
Data Scientist what in Sam Hill is a Data Scientist??? never heard of such a job title...

It's a line of work in the computer programming industry that takes data and makes statistical predictions with it for a variety of business purposes. I hear there's a crying need for such people but not enough people to fill those vacancies. It seems like a lot of countries have this issue. It's a new emerging field.

freechris said:
It's a line of work in the computer programming industry that takes data and makes statistical predictions with it for a variety of business purposes. I hear there's a crying need for such people but not enough people to fill those vacancies. It seems like a lot of countries have this issue. It's a new emerging field.
Check out Dalhousie university in Halifax. Lots of beautiful areas around there but hope you like snow and rain.

freechris said:

Well as long you have researched job opportunities in Canada that show need for that kind of degree.

When you say "statistical predictions" are you referring to things like market growth, or things like "if your business does this, your growth will be this much by the end of the year"?

freechris said:

You can probably get in as a temporary foreign worker, if, as you say, there is a need for such people and not enough qualified Canadians to fill the positions. That would be your easiest route. Just make sure, if you plan to stay, that the TFW permit you're working under makes it clear you intend to apply for permanent residency.

It's how a lot of people come to canada these days. It's often used for fast food employees, since most Canadians older than 18 don't want to work for minimum wage. The companies claim they can't find people to work for what they're offering and get a green light to offer jobs to people outside of Canada.

Just also be aware that, if you are here as a TFW, your employer can pull their support at any time and you would be a bit out of luck. You can fight it, but aren't allowed to stay in Canada without that support...so you would have to fight it from the U.S. You also can't leave the job you have for another, unless the second company is willing to do a Labour Market Opinion and apply for a TFW permit for you.

Also, be aware that if you have a disability that could make becoming a PR very hard.

This info is based on research I did for work in 2013/2014, and we have a new federal government now, so some of this might be out of date.

Move to Southern Ontario. There is lots of resources here, lots of people also lots of money. Its pretty similar to Pennsylvania, Michigan or New York so the change wouldnt be too drastic. Also, lots of jobs, so if all else fails, Tim Hortons will gladly except a neighbour from the south!

ryan2127 said:
Move to Southern Ontario. There is lots of resources here, lots of people also lots of money. Its pretty similar to Pennsylvania, Michigan or New York so the change wouldnt be too drastic. Also, lots of jobs, so if all else fails, Tim Hortons will gladly except a neighbour from the south!
What I find challenging about Canada is the Metric system I never understood it and its too complicated for someone who has been only taught standard measuring system. And quiet frankly getting to mid age now and do not want to really learn it since I will not use it at all. Just cross fingers and get thru Canada as quick as I can to Buffalo so I can continue to New England. By the way Dunkin Donuts is better LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back