Abu Just got a little more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Thoughts On this , Just read in my email they will now start charging customers on shipping , of all items , so now when you buy a case or anything be prepared to pay a little more

Us and canada ,
Abuniverse , :sad:

Tithonian said:
Shipping costs are very real. Considering what a niche market Abu caters to, I'm amazed they offered free shipping for as long as they did. It's not exactly like they're Amazon. I think the pricing is fair. I do wonder if there's wiggle room when combining small items. For example, if you bought a shirt ($2) and stickers ($1) is it really necessary to charge the extra $1 to ship the stickers? I somehow doubt they would contribute enough weight to justify it. It is, however, a flat rate pricing scheme, so I would understand if they still did.

I wouldn’t understand or accept very readily if they charged an extra dollar for shipping a sample and another extra dollar for shipping of a sticker in the same package, they may as well just put the price up and continue to call it free shipping.

I am hopeful after reading the email it means if you order 8 x individual packets of 10 + 1 packet of stickers and a onesie you only get charged the $12 additional shipping not $43 additional.

I do support ABU, love their products and want them to not only survive but thrive as a business and hope they never get rid of their pickup option for those of us lucky enough to be close enough to one of their outlets.

Shipping will absolutely be combined - so if you order a shirt and a pack of diapers - as long as they ship in the same parcel, the shipping cost would be the cost of the pack, not compounded against the shirt.

klo555 said:
Shipping will absolutely be combined - so if you order a shirt and a pack of diapers - as long as they ship in the same parcel, the shipping cost would be the cost of the pack, not compounded against the shirt.

High 5 then for being upfront and clear with your customers and what you need to do!

Alas, they are already rather pricey for me to buy from them regularly as is. Being a student really sucks, and I’m between jobs right now, so I can’t order from them as much as I would like. The products they provide are great for the price, and they have always been more than helpful. I had a defect on 1-3 diapers in a pack and they replaced the pack for free. I think a slight increase is only reasonable, and $12 once or twice a year really doesn’t make all that much difference to me. Somebody who ordered from them multiple times a year would, however, likely find it more of a burden.
I may end up in Baltimore for a while though. Might have to check it out while I’m there.

guest said:
Thoughts On this , Just read in my email they will now start charging customers on shipping , of all items , so now when you buy a case or anything be prepared to pay a little more

Us and canada ,
Abuniverse , :sad:

I'm OK with this as I really like ABU products. Amazon prime does offer free shipping on other brands if price is the only consideration.
https://www.amazon.com/FAB-SENSE-Print-Briefs-Medium/dp/B01N5LSYTX/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1514838535&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=abdl%2Babu%2Bdiapers&th=1

In the UK ABU have also shaken things up by stopping supplying Nappiesrus which again takes away any potential pick up option for UK customers.

I understand that instead they will be supplying through Amazon, but as yet nothing has appeared (which also seems to mean Kiddos are currently unavailable in UK). I'm not sure if they will be more expensive, according to a Reddit post they may be Primeable but that doesn't help us who really don't want these purchases going through the main Amazon account that has Prime!

Sigh, why ABU, WHY? As a result of this though, Nappiesrus now stock Rearz Safari which I've now tried and those things may replace Kiddo as my fav diaper!

my current medical supplier charges a flat rate of $9.00 for shipping per order either one case or three, diapers are bulky and heavy to ship as costs go up prices either go up or they charge for shipping.

I use Dorset Nursing Supplies here in the U.K. and I spend more than £100.00 a month on pads so get free delivery. The downside is that the boxes they arrive in has Molicare Slip written all over them and sometimes the boxs are ripped (I get 3 cases a month) but they are a reliable company where I have a monthly order set up.. I use Incontinence Choice for wipes and Nappy bags/ Attends Chair pads and delivery there is £5.99 which is okay. The box is more discreet but they don't stock Molicare Slips.

bobbilly said:
I use Dorset Nursing Supplies here in the U.K. and I spend more than £100.00 a month on pads so get free delivery. I use Incontinence Choice for wipes and Nappy bags/ Attends Chair pads and delivery there is £5.99 which is okay.

To be fair, Shipping prices in the U.K. are substantially less expensive than the USA and Canada. We will have free shipping in the USA once we are launched and fully setup there.

Also, Amazon is going to be doing fulfillment for us (ABU) in the UK - you can still use our website and get free shipping without needing to have an account with Amazon. You CAN order directly from Amazon though, but it would come at a higher price (since Amazon charges their commission and fees). The shipments in the UK will ship in Amazon packaging. We will have a lot more information on this soon.

I wrote to nappies r us to see if i can set up a monthly order to be sent out every 4th Thursday and they couldn't accommodate. They said Molicare are a fast selling product. Nappiesrus have competitive prices on Molicare Slip but I now get my nappies from Dorset Nursing Supplies as they will automatically send out and they are always in stock.

klo555 said:
To be fair, Shipping prices in the U.K. are substantially less expensive than the USA and Canada. We will have free shipping in the USA once we are launched and fully setup there....

Sorry mate did you mean free shipping in the UK once setup or once you move to Amazon in the US?

"Free shipping" has killed my job industry. People wanna pay less and less for freight And the cost operate these trucks keeps getting more and more expensive every year I for one am glad ABU ditched free shipping That means freight prices in the shipping industry are starting to go up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks UK Peeps for the replies on here.
My last order from NappiesRUs arrived opened, when I emailed the reply was ‘yeah it happens’, no sorry/apology, just telling me to mail next time I order so I can request a more secure parcel.

Will be much happier being able to order from Amazon, knowing it’s discreet!

My package arrived and it had PDP take all over it so it must of come undone in transit, it is annoying.

klo555 said:

I can't speak for everyone, and I don't constitute a high volume customer, but I can tell you that you have treated me fairly since my first order after the change in ownership. I'm not going to say that price is no object, but at this season in life it is much less a consideration than a decade ago. Thus I'll give some public customer feedback here and say that I'm happy with your products and pricing. I plan to continue purchasing from you and hope for more great product unveils in the next 20+ years.

Now I will say that being between sizes I do wish your small size was 2-3 inches larger in the waist as the medium swallows me, however I imagine that this size issue between any size is most likely less than 5% of your customer base, so I understand.

Khaymen said:
I can't speak for everyone, and I don't constitute a high volume customer, but I can tell you that you have treated me fairly since my first order after the change in ownership. I'm not going to say that price is no object, but at this season in life it is much less a consideration than a decade ago. Thus I'll give some public customer feedback here and say that I'm happy with your products and pricing. I plan to continue purchasing from you and hope for more great product unveils in the next 20+ years.

Now I will say that being between sizes I do wish your small size was 2-3 inches larger in the waist as the medium swallows me, however I imagine that this size issue between any size is most likely less than 5% of your customer base, so I understand.
At the same time id wager the sizing gap is more their suppliers doing not theirs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I mean, doesn’t this just make more sense on a larger scale? The shipping was never actually free, it was just built into the price of the diapers. Folks in Seattle were subsidizing the people in Miami.

Though as someone who lives close enough to Northshore to get their “free shipping”, maybe I’m a little biased.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. Just saw that it’s still flat-rate shipping across the board. That sort of sucks.

I respect that costs have gone up, and am relieved they don't take the Bambino method of lowering the quality of the product in secret, but I feel the way of addressing it is dishonest through and through.

We all know the shipping was never free. It was part of the price of the product, so when we went to abuniverse.com, we saw the prices we would pay up front right away.

And now they add $12 per 80-case, regardless of which case is chosen, regardless of where the cases are going (more distance = greater cost), as a charge that shows up only during checkout.

We also all know it doesn't cost $12 to ship a 40lb case of diapers: it costs much more than that. Probably $40 a case is shipping as a ballpark estimate.

This is a $12 price increase per case, or roughly a 10% price hike. That's fine, and I may have to go back to less expensive yet lower quality competitors, because I too am hurting for money in this economy.

But I would recommend being honest about it and just increasing the price of the products on the storefront instead of tacking it on like that's the whole shipping cost when it's clearly not. Or even better, make the shipping costs the true shipping costs, and lower the prices of the storefront items to no longer hide any of the shipping fees. But if that's done, please give a rough estimate of the shipping fees on the product pages. Hiding them until checkout is deceptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back