Not open for further replies.

SWABDL2001

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Hi Everyone!

I am heading to SF in mid Jan and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on what to see, where to eat, what to do, what to avoid etc? I really want to try and get the most out of my trip and i like the tourist things but i also like to immerse myself into the local scene/culture. So, whats your advice?

Also, as i don't want to pack them into my baggage, does anyone have any advice on how i can get my hands on some premium diapers while i'm there?

Thanks in advance!

Bambino diapers is just south of the city in Burlingame/Redwood City area. Order a case that's in stock early in the day and it will be there overnight with free shipping.

Tourist type stuff is the Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39/Embarcadero/Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, Alcatraz, and there are some great places to hit in Golden Gate Park as well. Not as much into the local scene there, but there are some very cool places to hit that others probably know better than I do.

SF is a great walking town, stay central and you can walk everywhere in the city proper. China town is great there was places there that tasted exactly like I had in china (pork buns, roasted goose etc.) for the most part at a good price. The ferry building market is great for food and shopping but a bit pricey. My favorite seafood restaurant on this coast is Swan oyster house, get there early if you go but well worth the wait if there is a line.

I personally think Fisher mans wharf is a tourist trap, especially food but see it and decide for your self. Alcatraz is great so don't miss that.

If you want to explore outside the city I like Napa/ Sonoma. Jack London state park is there and that's a great way to spend a couple hours. If you want to do wine tasting, just research what you want to try and keep it reasonable its a bit overwhelming, or do what we did and sample the 2 breweries that are there instead.

Yelp was spot on for my visit so definitely use that for suggestions.

I grew up in Napa, and actually went to school with a lot of the kids of the winery owners (my sister babysat the Mondavi kids and the owner of Mayacamas was my soccer coach, just to name a few). Napa has become much more tourist, I would recommend Sonoma much more. You can also head over to the East Bay to Livermore for several other small wineries if you're into that.

From a younger perspective, I always loved the Exploratorium in the Palace of Fine Arts or the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. Chinatown is definitely a cool place to hit.

thanks very much for the responses! much appreciated!

There are some really cool street musicians around the trolley turn around. Ghiradelli Square for my favorite chocolate. China Town. Pier 39. You have to make reservations in advance for the actual Alcatraz jail tour. The thing I hated was a lack of bathrooms in downtown SF. If you wanted to use one at say Burger King, you had to buy something and show the guard your receipt. If I knew then what I know now...

thats annoying about the toilet situations! Not that i need an excuse to wear a nappy but that is a pretty good one. I will definitely book a tour of Alcatraz! are there any decent places you can buy nappies from over the counter?

I shall be in SFO in may.

Scaramouche said:
If you wanted to use one at say Burger King, you had to buy something and show the guard your receipt

The bathrooms at Burger King have guards?

bambinod said:
The bathrooms at Burger King have guards?

You get enough homeless and druggies in certain areas that they have security to keep things from getting destroyed. I know going to concerts at the Warfield that you'll get harassed by the homeless on Market St. for handouts, and I've seen drug deals happening on the sidewalk in front of me.

As for decent diapers in the area, Bambino (also the same company as Secure Plus) is located in Redwood City, about 15 minutes south of SF proper. You can always call them and see if they'll allow you to pick up an order instead of worrying about shipment.

I lived there off and on for 10 years. It all depends (No pun intended) what you're into. If you drink, it's a great drinking city, even with all the wretched gentrification, and there's great coffee shops, record shops, and bookstores.

Depending on what you're into and what you want out of the trip, I can steer you in the way of staying in SF like a local.

mtdl88 said:
I lived there off and on for 10 years. It all depends (No pun intended) what you're into. If you drink, it's a great drinking city, even with all the wretched gentrification, and there's great coffee shops, record shops, and bookstores.

Depending on what you're into and what you want out of the trip, I can steer you in the way of staying in SF like a local.

i have been there 2 times before but have never done Alcatraz, so i will do that. Other than that i have done most tourist things. I would really appreciate some advice on what the locals would get up to. Is it worth visiting Berkeley?

SWABDL2001 said:
i have been there 2 times before but have never done Alcatraz, so i will do that. Other than that i have done most tourist things. I would really appreciate some advice on what the locals would get up to. Is it worth visiting Berkeley?

Berkeley is full of heroin junkies. Has a few good record stores, and maybe you want to see Kal's campus, but that'd be it. It's not worth it IMO. Oakland is though. Downtown Oakland has gotten totally rejuvenated and worth a few hours at least perusing around.

In SF, coffee at Caffe Trieste is a must. It's in North Beach on Vallejo Street. Just down the street from Molinari's Deli which is amaze balls. City Lights Books is up there and worth checking out too.

Best hotel is Phoenix Hotel. Hidden cheap Gem is Beachview Motel at the end of Judah Street and right on a MUNI line. The lead guy from Sublime OD'd there, which is kind of macabre, but it's also like 70 bucks a night to stay there, in decent rooms, right on Ocean Beach.

Haight-Ashbury is worth checking out. It'll give you your 60s Nostalgia fix without having to visit Berkeley. Lots of cool thrift stores, record stores, bars and restaurants there. Golden Gate Park is worth walking around in too in that area. And you can ride the N-Judah MUNI Streetcar line all the way to the beach for 2 dollars. Nice beach too.

It's a great music city. See if there are shows at the Fillmore, Warfield, Slim's or the Independent. Even Bottom of the Hill has great acts in and out of there.

Also, a trip to the Tonga Room at the Fairmont on Nob Hill is a must do. As is maybe having a drink at the Top of the Mark just to feel like a Master of the Universe. And if you're into kinky sex, check out the Power Exchange. Stephen Hawking hangs out there just to watch.

As far as bars go, though, best options IMO are Vesuvio, Cafe Tosca, Golden Cane, Gino and Carlo's are my usual haunts.

Also, Land's End on the coast is worth it. And Sam Wo's in Chinatown is amazing even if the restaurant appears filthy.

Day trips up to Marin maybe, or down to Santa Cruz, La Honda, or Big Sur would also be worth looking into.

I don't really have much advice on diapering, but as far as food goes, head to the wharf. Seafood restraunts everywhere. There's also an underwater restaurant near the golden gate bridge. Never been, but i've seen pictures. Also, try to avoid major roads if you're going in, or out of the city. usually going a longer, more rural route takes 1/4 the time to take main roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back