Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn it I hate Teenage cashiers

Default Damn it I hate Teenage cashiers

So, I was all pumped for another purchase. I went into Rite-Aid at 8:45 pm, which is always a good time to go, in my experience. But the girls working the cashier desk were young, about my age, and extremely attractive. So, I chickened out. Fail purchase. Now I'm sad. And want to punch myself in the face.

Unless you know, them they aren't giong to give a flying flip what you buy. When ever I get nervous buying diapers I just pretend too be texting. Gives me something to stare at while I'm checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by stonemask55 View Post
    Unless you know, them they aren't giong to give a flying flip what you buy. When ever I get nervous buying diapers I just pretend too be texting. Gives me something to stare at while I'm checking out.
    Ya I agree with the tactic. I always buy with a bunch of other groceries and pretend to be checking over a list while the items are rung in. That way (if you're younger), it just looks like your doing the groceries for your parents.

Kevin

Seriously if you can get away from the self-checkout aisles (which I love) they seriously and cannpt give a shit for what you buy. The only danger towards this is if you know the cashier. I have several of my friends who work as cashiers or baggers that I try to avoid when I shop but they can't give a fuck for what you are shopping. Unless you can come up with a quick lie upon asking, I also think that the texting idea can work.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    Ya I agree with the tactic. I always buy with a bunch of other groceries and pretend to be checking over a list while the items are rung in. That way (if you're younger), it just looks like your doing the groceries for your parents.
    I always hate suggestions like that, because then you have a whole bunch of crap you don't want or need, so unless you're actually shopping for other things, it's just a waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Seriously if you can get away from the self-checkout aisles (which I love) they seriously and cannpt give a shit for what you buy. The only danger towards this is if you know the cashier. I have several of my friends who work as cashiers or baggers that I try to avoid when I shop but they can't give a fuck for what you are shopping. Unless you can come up with a quick lie upon asking, I also think that the texting idea can work.
    No self-checkouts at most the stores around here

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    No self-checkouts at most the stores around here
    Seconded. And I've never seen one at Rite Aid.

daria7483

Go into the store with the mindset that you are purchasing diapers for another person, like a younger sibling or a grandparent. That helps because then you can imagine that the other person is thinking the same thing. I actually did buy diapers for my grandmother occasionally when she was alive, so it's not like it's inconceivable.

annierighthurr

My trick? (Well now I don't care but I used this trick consistently for the first few years I bought Depends).

Buy a Happy 40th (30th, 50th, whatever) Birthday card. or even a "Happy Birthday Dad" card. Leave it face up, on top of the diaper package. If you are outgoing and brave, and can play-off being nervous, you can even joke about your "gag gift" to the cashier. They usually find it funny and if not, if they don't comment or you don't feel like joking around with them, they will make the obvious connection in their head.

It costs an extra $2-3 at most, and in my nervous days of buying, it was sooo worth it, and a lot easier then buying a lot of extra crap to pretend like you are shopping for your parents.

When I was 18, I worked as a cashier at a Target, and not a day went by when I didn't check out some kind of "embarrassing" product, especially adult diapers. About 70% of the merchandise I was scanning I never actually identified, I'd just scan and bag it...whenever I came across an "embarrassing" product, my indentifcation of it would only last a second, and I didn't even glance at the person buying it ("...bananas, make-up...huh. A douche. Chicken, greeting card...").

When it came to adult diapers, I of course sort of singled on them for just a few seconds, perhaps even took a glance at who was buying them (everyone from old ladies to middle-aged couples to teenagers), but solely because of my own fixation with them. Then, right back to work. I didn't have time to dwell on it.

Think of buying diapers like buying tampons, really. So many packages sell within just a few hours (which is why the incontinence section is always HUGE in those stores) that nobody honestly cares. And even if they do notice and silently think it's weird, it only lasts for a few seconds...it's not like they're going to be recalling it for the rest of the day, or even remember your face. They don't care: they're teenagers! They're all angry and nihilistic and greasy.

Having been in their shoes helped me out. I still feel a bit nervous when I pick them up in the aisle, but if I'm buying a big amount of groceries, I have the courage to even buy TWO packs.