Abeena M4 vs Rearz Rebel Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOCKMAN

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I recently decided to take the plunge (pun intended) and purchase disposable diapers in place of my training underwear / PUL plastic underpants on a recent plane trip. After reading many of the posts on this site I went with a high SAP, Abeena M4 & the Rearz Rebel and bought 2 sample packs of each (2 diapers in each sample pack).

First note: These diapers are quite thick and even two in my carry-on took up some significant room but I had 4! The TSA coincidentally asked to re-run my bag through the scanner and even though the second time they just said everything was OK, I was ready to tell them I had diapers packed to explain the bulk, or at their request, to search the bag. I proceeded to then purchase a large hot tea knowing I had a high soak potential with my substitute protection (some posts have eluded to less smell with tea than coffee).

Second note: I was thrilled at putting on the diaper in a bathroom stall as I could see it would easily handle a complete void vs. past experiences of low volume in my training underwear. The tapes though made quite an audible “scotch tape sound” as I unfastened them no matter how gently I tried. I did not mind this occurring in the bathroom since another diaper-wearer would know immediately what this sound was and a stranger would probably only be puzzled. Even if a stranger did ask me about this, I would have no qualms to explain this great protection for my accidents while being on a plane. I note this in case anyone ever travels with a colleague or friend or relative that may inquire about this sound if traveling with you and wanders into the bathroom after you do. I then put on my plastic underpants as a backup.

Third note: The added bulk was noticeable to me, especially when looking in the bathroom sink mirror but as many note on this website, no one else really reviews others’ lower body area for thickness (diaper-wearer!) vs. thinness. I had thought about this earlier before leaving for the airport and had worn loose-fitting jeans and a shirt that is not supposed to be tucked in. I also had a light-weight coat to aid in the cover (but did not wear it on the plane or in the airport). After about 2 hours of flying I let go with the satisfaction of not stopping my release like I usually do with only training underwear.

Fourth note: Wow! The M4 really holds a lot! (Duhhh?) I not only wet completely at the airport but went to lunch and then to drive on to check on 2 other sites of historical reference. I casually wet at each one and drank significant beverage loading for lunch. After driving another hour or so I had to go again but decided to hold it until I got to the hotel. By another hour later I was in discomfort and had to stop by a truck stop bathroom and hurriedly get into a stall. After taking down my jeans and plastic underpants as quickly as possible, it suddenly struck me that I had left my spare diaper in the car in my bag. I then realized if I undid my diaper the tapes may not refasten (good for only one time?) so I was in a bit of a tense moment. My diaper was already drooping from previous wettings, the wetness indicator lines were quite evident, and I was worried about it sliding down into a pile in my plastic underpants without the tapes. I was then a bit overcome at the surprisingly ultimate release of wetting which was coupled with my immediate acceptance of inevitability as I could not hold it any longer. As I was wetting myself I tried to explain this semi-acceptance as due to my casually wetting throughout the day and also being in a bathroom stall. I could only lay back, semi-reclined, across the toilet as the fluid kept flowing (my thought was to channel this high flow as far back into my diaper so the wicking effect could get to my backside where more potential soaking ability was stored. After feeling I had completely finished, I was surprised to see no leakage but thankfully pulled up my plastic underpants and jeans and drove as fast as legally allowed to the hotel (another 30 minutes). Officer – “Do you know why I pulled you over sir?”, ME – “Well yes, I was speeding but don’t give me a ticket; I wet my diaper a lot and I am afraid it might leak before I can get to the hotel to get changed ”. Not a conversation I was looking to have…….

Fifth note: The holding power of the M4 is beyond what I thought. When I got to the hotel room and stripped down to just my protection I noticed I still had not leaked so I proceeded to put on my plastic mattress cover and decided to take a nap (and if I leaked, hopefully my plastic underpants would take up the first line of defense or worse case the mattress cover would prevent any mattress staining.) When I woke up 2 hours later and feeling that great-fully-soaked-thank-goodness-I- had-a-diaper-on-feeling, I decided to make the change but marveled at the entire situation. Upon removal of my M4 it was soaked about 4/5 the way of the backside of the diaper and the front was fully soaked with the wetness indictor lines quite apparent.

Sixth note: The tapes on the M4 diaper tore the diaper no matter how gently I tried to remove them. Is this typical for an M4 diaper; once the tape is applied, no going back? I then put on the Rearz rebel diaper and planned to go to dinner. The tapes make even a louder sound than the M4 and seem to be a bit more “heavy-duty”. The rebel diaper also has a bit more heavy plastic gauge covering as compared to the M4.

Seventh note: The Rebel diaper should be called the Pirate Pants diaper as the skull & cross bones design seems more to that theme than a rebel (maybe confederate flags are more appropriate).

Eighth note: THE CRINKLE EFFECT is very high with the Rearz as compared to the M4 (both items I bought were plastic-backed). Even beneath the covers I could significantly hear the crinkle sound from the rebel but once I put on my plastic underpants and jeans it was bit less, but not by much. I was not concerned as nobody else would really hear it unless they are the type of person that goes out of their way to listen for such a sound.

Ninth note: The Rearz did not have the “power” of the M4. Before going to bed, I wet, and then once during the night. By the next morning I released again and then noticed some of the SAP material coming out around my legs. There are no wetness indicators with the Rebel (unless I missed it?). Changing before showering showed the back side of my diaper was barely 5% wicked into but the front was completely saturated. Since I was sleeping through the night and laying completely down I would have thought it would have wicked back quite easily. Is this typical with Rearz?

Tenth note: The Rebel diaper tapes did not tear the diaper ast he M4 tapes did. The heavier gauge plastic backing of the Rebel diaper appears to be the leading factor to this as the tapes are still quite sticky. Overall it was a great and satisfying trial for me. This makes me understand more the enjoyment that others of our clan, who are disposable-inclined, enjoy. I still have 1 more of each diaper so I hope to repeat this on my next plane travel trip and compare. Do others have the same thoughts with an M4 vs a Rearz? I like the staying power of the M4 but as the saleslady that sold me the samples noted: “hospital diapers are not as fun as design diapers”. For crinkle lovers I get this with the Rebel. Also the design does look great when sitting in the comfort of your home or hotel room and just working at the desk or watching TV in only a skull & crossbones rebel diaper. But overall I need the wetting power factor of the M4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back