Is the backside of a diaper wasted because it never gets wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
I don't know about any of you but I constantly have to take off my diaper (been on for too many hours) before using all the pulp on the backside of the diaper. I was wondering if others also have this happen to them in that the back never seems to get wet and the front is always soaked? The only way I have managed to get the back wet is pouring water down the back side.
Other than that it never gets wet and feels like it is being wasted :(

Probably varies from diaper to diaper. I don't really have that problem with my Abena M3s. Little Pawz are another story though.

You could just wear thinner diapers? or if you prefer thicker, just get thicker low/no sap diapers that are still thick but have lower capacity.

No point in wasting money on higher capacity if you never need it?

Also make sure you are folding a channel into the crotch of your diaper before taping up, so the pee can flow forward and down. A lot of new users will tape the lower tapes on tight straight toward each other (instead of downward) and not crease the middle, so the padding is just pressing up against them front and center, and there's just no opportunity to flow down to the back of the crotch where it can spread out and wick into the back.

My only guess is that it may be there more for the benefit of the females?

Obviously it's not as necessary for a boy. But, as for myself...I 99% of the time only wear at nighttime, so I've always liked having that additional padding while laying down. Regardless.

bambinod said:
You could just wear thinner diapers? or if you prefer thicker, just get thicker low/no sap diapers that are still thick but have lower capacity.

Also make sure you are folding a channel into the crotch of your diaper before taping up, so the pee can flow forward and down. A lot of new users will tape the lower tapes on tight straight toward each other (instead of downward) and not crease the middle, so the padding is just pressing up against them front and center, and there's just no opportunity to flow down to the back of the crotch where it can spread out and wick into the back.

That is a helpful tip! That's almost exactly what I've been doing! Next time I restock I'll be sure to keep this in mind, Thank you!

I sleep on my back and my nighttime diaper is always wet in front and back in the morning. That extra padding in back is for those laying down.

bambinod said:

True but I don't think ABU Cushies or SDK have a capacity option lol. Interesting tip on the channel idea though thanks for that.

I think going lying down helps a lot. If I pee both standing and lying on my back, I'll end up with a diaper that's used all the way through. Also direction you're pointing matters. If you're pointing up while standing or sitting, it's got a lot long to go soaking the front while if you pee pointing down, you can use more of the middle and back of the diaper.

Sounds like you need lower-capacity diapers.

I also make sure to always point down, but that doesn't actually increase the amount of absorbency I use.

Diapers have a surge pad to carry fluid away from the "insult location". I've found a vent register filter placed in the diaper works well as a secondary surge pad (it's the same non-woven material as the surge pad in a diaper). It helps move fluid to the back panel when used while sitting, and also reduce leakage around the legs because it absorbs the surge before it spills out. You can rinse them with water when done. I was planning on making a more comprehensive posting about this soon.

SweetPrincess said:
True but I don't think ABU Cushies or SDK have a capacity option lol. Interesting tip on the channel idea though thanks for that.

The vertical fold to activate the channels works really well and will help make better use of your diapee capacity.

Definitely have to lie down to fully use the padding though.

Looking forward to hearing you get better utilisation.

like others have mentioned, when using premium products it is very important to first stretch them length wise and then fold in half long ways. Since most products have good elastic, I find its easier while diapering to put on the top tapes 1st nice and tight and then do the bottoms just snuggly. It is also important to make sure the front of the diaper is tucked properly with the wings so the front kind of fluffs out, looks like an upside down V when looking down at yourself. Do this provides ample room for expansion and a channel to the rear (seat of the diaper) for fluids to go to. Also proper fitting diapers are a must, The right size diaper should land roughly just above the navel to the small of your back, and make a nearly perfect circumference around you, kind of like wearing a belt. So for me even though I'm relatively thin but tall I wear size large diapers, fyi I'm 6'1" but a 34" waist.

Prairie said:
Diapers have a surge pad to carry fluid away from the "insult location". I've found a vent register filter placed in the diaper works well as a secondary surge pad (it's the same non-woven material as the surge pad in a diaper). It helps move fluid to the back panel when used while sitting, and also reduce leakage around the legs because it absorbs the surge before it spills out. You can rinse them with water when done. I was planning on making a more comprehensive posting about this soon.

I would really like to hear more about this. Currently I'm using cloth diaper inserts in my daytime disposable diaper as a way to utilize more of the absorbent padding. This off course adds to the bulk. Is such a surge pad thin or same thickness as an ordinary diaper booster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StayneLion said:
That is a helpful tip! That's almost exactly what I've been doing! Next time I restock I'll be sure to keep this in mind, Thank you!

Glad to have helped :)

Ask yourself if it's a waste when the diaper you wear has contained your pee without leaking, and for as long as you needed. Now ask yourself if a next level down (cheaper) type of diaper will be able to do that same job- reliably. If not, then it clearly is not a waste.

As example, I use betterdry diapers which I seldom ever soak enough to get the back wet. They do not leak on me (well, maybe 1 in 200 will), and will even last 12 hours for me should I need it (again, without leaks). They cost me about $1.67 each, or with up to 3 changes will cost me $5/day.

The next level down from that is Confidry. They work great, but 1 in 20 will leak on me. They also only last me 8-10 hours max, and will get the back pretty wet if I go that long with them. I absolutely can use these, but interestingly they also cost about $1.67 each. I will need at least 3 per day, often times even 4. Meaning I would be spending between $5.00 and $6.68 per day. All so I can "use more of the diaper". No thanks, that's more of a waste to me than not using every inch of the diaper. Less reliable too.

LittleICme said:
I sleep on my back and my nighttime diaper is always wet in front and back in the morning. That extra padding in back is for those laying down.

And for those who don’t have male genitalia. I’ve never had this problem myself, but like suggested I’d guess laying down would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back