switching to cloth during the night

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbullfiend

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
i am slowly switching to cloth diapers for night time use as i have found they contain my large wettings better than any disposable i have tried. during the day however i still use northshores with a booster and have good luck. its a learning curve on how to take care of them and what not. the only issue i seem to have even after hand washing my plastic pants is they still smell of stale urine. yuck. what gives? not strong enough soap? not enough heat in the water? i dunno...what do you do?

I rinse mine in the sink with warm water and then put in a few drops of mouthwash for the rinse. It cleans them and makes them smell great but it has to be alcohol free mouthwash they make for people with dentures that is safe on plastic.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

redbullfiend said:
i am slowly switching to cloth diapers for night time use as i have found they contain my large wettings better than any disposable i have tried. during the day however i still use northshores with a booster and have good luck. its a learning curve on how to take care of them and what not. the only issue i seem to have even after hand washing my plastic pants is they still smell of stale urine. yuck. what gives? not strong enough soap? not enough heat in the water? i dunno...what do you do?

I've just started popping my Gary plastic pants in the washer with my wet nappy. The ones I'm using at the mo have become very brittle so I thought what the hell. They have been In the wash now 4 times and they are still very brittle but are holding up well so far. :)

Febreze for laundry. It was off the market for a while, but it's been back for over a year.

I wash my Changing Times (Gary Mfg) vinyl pants with my diapers. Never a residual stink.

i have some gary pants as well the "tuffy" line. i was just worried about throwing them in the hot wash with the diapers. any longevity issues? < i know to hang dry>

redbullfiend said:
i have some gary pants as well the "tuffy" line. i was just worried about throwing them in the hot wash with the diapers. any longevity issues? < i know to hang dry>
No longevity issues here. Changing Times, where I buy my vinyl pants (again, by Gary), states that Tide, All, and other big-name detergents are fine for washing vinyl pants, but that chlorine bleach and fabric softeners should be avoided. I've had the 4mil pants last several years with semi-regular machine washing. But yeah, no drying. I usually just take 'em out of the wash, shake off what remaining droplets I can, and toss 'em right into the stash. I don't even bother hanging them up.

You could also wear PUL plastic pants. I put those in the washer and use Arm & Hammer with Oxi which leaves them smelling nice. I've also worn XL Goodnites and then put a cloth diaper over those. The Goodnites absorb most of the pee but what leaks out the cloth diaper gets. If you don't fit into Goodnites, you could wear a cheaper disposable and a cloth diaper over that and you will experience less smell.

I use Dreft detergent. It smells pretty and it destroys smells. They also have the laundry scent booster stuff.

I too recommend skipping plastic or vynal. Gary activewear PUL pants are superior in construction, durability, and longevity.

And all my incontunence relate clothing gets washed with dreft. It's made specifically to get out pee smell and stains, and leaves them smelling great.

I use PUL panties and just rinse them out when I take my shower. I have no problems with that method.

The only trouble with PUL, which is why I haven't gone that route, is the sizing. I have a stocky build that came with large thighs, and PUL pants just aren't sized for people like me. Inexplicably, while my 27" thighs land in the L or XL categories with most vinyl pants, they're nearly off the chart with most PUL pants. As an example, the Changing Times PUL pants in size 3XL (the largest) have a maximum thigh measurement of 27 inches, but a minimum waist measurement of 48 inches. My waist is just over 36 inches, so...that ain't gonna work! I'm mystified as to why PUL sizing is such a different animal.

Wish someone in the UK would stock them Gary PUL pants, I’ve read many great things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup exactly why i never bothered to try them. they also feel weird to me texture wise. plastic is best imo.

redbullfiend said:

Lang plastic pants, sold by Lifestyles Emporium, are made with a high grade medical plastic that can withstand the heat of a washing machine as well as a dryer. I fact, they are designed to be laundered. When new, they are a bit stiff but soften up nicely after a few cycles in the wash. These are my my favorite plastic pant - I LOVE them!

I also occasionally run my Gary plastic pants through the washing machine, but NEVER put them in the dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back