Thread: Act

Default Act

I just registered online to take the ACT in June. Can any members who have already taken it tell me, what it's like, and how I can prepare xD

I haven't taken it, so I wish I could be more help, but might there be a study guide on line. Also, do they sell, Act for Dummies? There seems to be Dummy books for almost everything. ACT is well know, so I would think there must be something available out there to help you.

OK, I went over to, and if you go to the book section and type in ACT test, a number of books come up which will prepare you for the test. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Peachy; 23-Apr-2009 at 22:35. Reason: merging double post - use "edit" button

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    OK, I went over to, and if you go to the book section and type in ACT test, a number of books come up which will prepare you for the test. I hope this helps.
    Thanks for your help dogboy *hugs*

I think I might purchase one of the help books, either from barnes and noble or on amazon.

I'm not gonna be much help...

My mother had to force me to take just the diagnostic test, which would tell me what to study... I ended up taking that the night before...

Took the ACT the next day...

I got a 32 out of 36 not counting writing.

My advice: Brush up on your algebra and geometry, and make sure you know that little bit of Trig. (Math is what killed me. I haven't taken those classes in three years!)

Edit: Thanks, secretdl26! And congrats to you! ^_^
    Last edited by Mesmerale; 23-Apr-2009 at 12:18.

I took the ACT last March and got 32 out of 36 (congrats to Mesmerale on the same score!)

While I did not study much, an ACT prep book helped a lot and I focused on the core pieces in the test:

For Math: Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry

For Reading: Focus on being able to find grammatical errors and being able to recognize parts of a story (characters, mood, tone, focus of the author, etc.)

For Writing: Don't worry too much about the essay, just pay attention to good grammar and make sure your essay has a clear focus and supports your overall message.

For Science: Be able to accurately interpret the data they give you to analyze, as the questions are worded very confusingly!

The best advice I can give you after taking the test is to not get stressed out, stay relaxed, and be confident in your answers.

Good luck!

I took it a few weeks ago. It's not that bad. All you can do is prepare from what they provide online. Otherwise, I noticed that unlike the SAT, they hand everyone the exact same test, right down to the writing section and every last question.

EDIT: On that note, I just got my score online. 29, putting me in the 94th percentile.

Quote Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
    TAKE THE PRACTICE TESTS! The more you take it, the better you do.
    To true. I knew just about everything on the act, but if I didn't prepair with the practice tests I would have failed. Reading would have been the worst for me, but practice tests helped with that. I can't read fast, so by taking the practice tests, I was able to find a way to absorbe enough of the information without spending all of my time reading the whole thing. It was very helpfull.