Plastic backed abena M4

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolyDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I see again that the plastic backed abena M/L4 days are numbered.

From several sites i see that they are being withdrawn. I've even emailed the manufacturers asking what are their reasons for this?
I personally can't stand cloth backed nappies and the plastic backed are becoming rarer and rarer.

I have however taken some steps to maintain my stock for as long as possible...

I have heard about Abena dropping M/L4s so many times by now that I don't give it too much credit anymore.

Firstly, as much as I enjoy how M4s fit on me, their quality has gone downhill a lot compared to a few years ago, and nowadays there are plenty equally as valid or better alternatives on the market, so even if they were to actually be discontinued it wouldn't feel as a tragedy to me.

Secondly, the owner of the place I usually get them from (Save Express) when I personally visited them last July told me they'd have been out of stock since mid-September and guess what, when I was back at their warehouse in late September M4s were still there, and they are still available today on their website with no apparent restriction on the amount you can buy.

What I've been told about the quality getting inconsistent is that, while in the past M4s used to have their own production line, now they share the machinery with other products, so the machines have to be readjusted every time they switch production, resulting in an imperfect calibration. I've also been told that Abena has been considering outsourcing them, as they already do with AbriLet boosters, which are now rebranded Lille boosters, half or 1/3rd of the thickness and absorbency of the old, real, AbriLet Maxis.

So... I don't know. In the past I used to stock up big time on M4s because I really liked them and they were the diaper I'd wear 90% of the time, nowadays I stick to buying a few cases at a time knowing that there'll be some disappointment compared to the quality of the previous batch, and keep some variety at hand. Betterdrys, Rearz, Molicare, ID Slips, there are so many valid alternatives out there without the issues that M4s started developing.

I still think the plastic-backed M4s are the best diaper ever. It's the fit more than anything.

quattrus said:
Secondly, the owner of the place I usually get them from (Save Express) when I personally visited them last July told me they'd have been out of stock since mid-September and guess what, when I was back at their warehouse in late September M4s were still there, and they are still available today on their website with no apparent restriction on the amount you can buy.

The official message on their website said that Abena were ceasing production on 15th September.

Last time Abena halted production, Save Express's stocks lasted for about 10+ weeks. I don't understand why any shop would restrict what people can buy... :-/

The quality issue is sad, M4’s were a lot of abdl’s first experience with a truly high quality diaper.

I usually go with dry 24/7’s nowadays though.

tiny said:
The official message on their website said that Abena were ceasing production on 15th September.

Yes, and when I asked Oliver about it his literal words were: "I had a customer asking me if I could hold some stock for him for later, I don't know if I will still have stock by the end of the day!"

I agree on the fit being amazing, there's no other diaper that fits me like a glove as M4s do, too bad now the plastic backing starts letting moisture through when the diaper is approaching its capacity and the tapes all seem to have this issue where a bit of the white tape sticks to the plastic of the diaper on 1st application, so having to retape means almost certainly ripping some plastic, even if not in vital spots...

quattrus said:
I agree on the fit being amazing, there's no other diaper that fits me like a glove as M4s do, too bad now the plastic backing starts letting moisture through when the diaper is approaching its capacity and the tapes all seem to have this issue where a bit of the white tape sticks to the plastic of the diaper on 1st application, so having to retape means almost certainly ripping some plastic, even if not in vital spots...

I've never had problems with my L4's "sweating" regardless of how wet they are. For ME the leak problem is in the back corners, just as the diaper starts moving out into the back wing. There, often the padding in between the shell and top sheet has gotten out of control and not cut cleanly and can get very close to the edge of the diaper - sometimes the shell cutting die actually cuts into padding, and that's a guaranteed leak if my diaper gets wet to that point.

As for your tape issue, I was wondering if anyone else was having that problem. I rarely need to move a tape on an L4, but when I go to change out in the morning I often find they try to rip the shell when I pull the blue tape away from the white tape. As you've noticed, the very root of the white tape isn't overlapping the blue one, and so it gets stuck down just on that back 1/8", but that can be enough to tear the shell of my diaper as I'm trying to remove it. Fortunately that's fairly high up in the front and at least I don't have wet sap balls bouncing all over the bathroom floor. But I do see the occasional ripped shell with exposed (dry) padding. Nowadays I'm careful when I remove those tapes, I pull back and when it stops, I slowly pull up or down so it releases slowly instead of in a sudden jerking motion. I could see this being a much bigger problem for those that need to remove tapes to use the toilet and then still have a solid diaper to tape back onto, or that lay on their side in bed and get the front padding wetter than I do.

Abena had a very solid reputation for years , that has been tarnished and incrementally lost everytime the were not going to make it any more comes up , i think its safe to say with the problems with quality they have lost a majority of medical users and if they do get rid of plastic another chunk will go in the ABDL community and whats left will not support the continued sale of that line

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

They’re my current favourite so I’ll be sad to see them go. I’ve had a few issues with the tapes too but otherwise good

Abena plastic-backed diapers are good. But in my opinion, ComfiDry 24/7 and BetterDry are better.

M4's are my favorite for now. Mite have to try them Comfidry. I don't undo the tapes on them4's i just stand up and let it drop to the floor.

I have a case in my kitchen from before they outsourced and cheapened them , they used to be my travel diaper until they went head to head in a test against Northshore,Northshore proved superior in my need , it was able to be overwet in the front without collapse well wicking to the rear , that's the basic test all diapers get from IC males that are confined to wheelchairs everything else about a diaper is "negotiable" as long as it can pass that test ,because in the real world that is "normal" working conditions , it would be really helpfull if places that tested diapers would add that to its testing methods or better yet make a dedicated diaper designed to be high performance in those conditions( a guy can dream cant he)

I know there are plenty of alternatives out there but i find they vary so much in their fit. They fit my body shape better than other nappies. I like the plastic they use too, smooth not rough.

The perfect size for me is the 24/7 medium. Shame they are so expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Inconinmiss said:
Abena plastic-backed diapers are good. But in my opinion, ComfiDry 24/7 and BetterDry are better.

I agree about the 24/7, they are a lovely nappy, slightly bigger too which i like. I'm not that keen on the betterdry, whilst i like them dry, when wet they bulge at the front on me.

I contacted Abena and their response is pasted below.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear you’re not happy with the new product range. The reason for the change is that the PE products are not breathable as such, therefore we have discontinued this range as Abena promote good skin health, user comfort and breathable incontinence products.

Kind regards,

Xxxxxx Xxxxx

Customer Services Team Manager

Abena UK Ltd

Reactions: tiny
Yeah! Breathable to the point that they leak and smell and also sags more than the PE backed ones.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

woolybobs said:
We are sorry to hear you’re not happy with the new product range. The reason for the change is that the PE products are not breathable as such, therefore we have discontinued this range as Abena promote good skin health, user comfort and breathable incontinence products.

Seems to me they are just making excuses for cutting their manufacturing costs, and trying to doublespeak you into believing they're doing it four your benefit and not theirs. A light squirt of talc down my left and right hips after diapering up in the morning is all I need to keep my sensitive skin breathable under plastic wings.

OK I emailed North shore, They told me as far as they know. The PE ones are not discontinuing in the States. But to contact abena myself to be sure. I just called them in another hour they will be open. Ill update soon as i find out.

Just got off the phone with abena USA. No plans to stop production for the next year. If you all in the USA want to keep them around please call too. He did tell me they are a good seller. That is why no plans to stop yet,
(844) 223-6248

https://www.facebook.com/abenanorthamerica/

I really think that the reason Abena is discontinuing the manufacturing of PE backed Diapers in the UK is because of the NHS. I heard a few years ago that there was a law passed that if the NHS was going to provide diapers to an incontinent person, that the only diapers that would be covered had to be breathable. So I think that throughout the UK the primary channel for sales of PE backed diapers is private sale, as they are not provided by the NHS for people. Someone from across the pond please correct me if I am wrong.

quattrus said:
Yes, and when I asked Oliver about it his literal words were: "I had a customer asking me if I could hold some stock for him for later, I don't know if I will still have stock by the end of the day!"

I experienced the same problem with their tapes several years ago. This is why I no longer buy the Abena products.

I dont want "progress" we havevdone just fine with pe for years , they might get mevto believe it, if non pe was introduded withing weekS of pe, But we are talking many years with PE doing the doing the job .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back