Having Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessStef

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Lately I have been having a hard time controlling my bladder. If I don't go to the bathroom right as I feel I have to go I'll leak, or have an accident which happened for the first time this morning and I just don't understand it. Is becoming incontinent late in life possible for someone? Hearing advise/feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

This looks like urge incontinences. Best course of action is to see a doctor as the cause is important to detect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an appointment with gynecologist on the 21st of this month. Is there anyway for them to fix it?

PrincessStef said:
I have an appointment with gynecologist on the 21st of this month. Is there anyway for them to fix it?

Yes. There are kegel exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles and there are also some medicines they can prescribe.

It’s unfortunate but totally possible. I never really had bladder issues until I turned 22. Anyway it started with the same symptoms as you and I got scared and since I’m a guy went to a urologist. It first was a uti and took meds to treat that but my urge symptoms persisted. I got diagnosed with OAB and I won’t try meds yet because my symptoms are now so sporadic I think I’m getting better. But in public for peace of mind I stay in a diaper or pull up.

podmuse said:
It’s unfortunate but totally possible. I never really had bladder issues until I turned 22. Anyway it started with the same symptoms as you and I got scared and since I’m a guy went to a urologist. It first was a uti and took meds to treat that but my urge symptoms persisted. I got diagnosed with OAB and I won’t try meds yet because my symptoms are now so sporadic I think I’m getting better. But in public for peace of mind I stay in a diaper or pull up.

Yeah thats what I'm doing now. Which I don't mind, but I don't like medication because it can mess with your liver or any organ it has to go through.

PrincessStef, suffering from a clvstybg dribble as well as OAB, i was given medication but they had no effects and the side effects were too much for me. I now have a diagnostic if «*total incontinente*» and my diapers are paid by Zhu health care. However it is important to go through the process, reason can be various and it could be a more serious problem. In any case if you need diaper/pull-up use them, as you early do, and learn be ok with them. You are not alone! Wishing you all the best!

joelvc said:
PrincessStef, suffering from a clvstybg dribble as well as OAB, i was given medication but they had no effects and the side effects were too much for me. I now have a diagnostic if «*total incontinente*» and my diapers are paid by Zhu health care. However it is important to go through the process, reason can be various and it could be a more serious problem. In any case if you need diaper/pull-up use them, as you early do, and learn be ok with them. You are not alone! Wishing you all the best!

Thank you so much. And I need to find a better diaper/pull-up. Have some but the tabs rip off easily.

Developing incontinence is possible at any age. With urge incontinence, it can be due to bladder or urethral irritation, infection, muscle or nerve issues, or unknown reasons.

Kegel exercises are most people's first advice, which may or may not apply in the case of urgency - that's something your doctor will help you decide. In cases of stress incontinence they're often very useful, but can be less so in urgency depending on the cause.

If it's a urinary tract infection (UTI), naturally they'll treat it with antibiotics, and the symptoms will normally clear up. Some people find that symptoms remain after the infection is treated, which generally means that the infection triggered an underlying problem.

Nerve and muscle problems can be caused by things as diverse as overactive bladder (OAB), ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), multiple sclerosis, and spinal injuries. There can be lots of different causes, some serious, some less so; this is why it's so important to see a doctor and get a diagnosis. Be sure your doctor knows any other symptoms you're having, as some doctors can be quick to assume it's OAB and give you medications without doing a full workup, and they may miss something important. You often need to be your own advocate and ask lots of questions about the symptoms you're having.

Medications can include things to relax the bladder and things to reduce bladder irritation. Many get relief from the medications, but some don't, and some have side effects that make it difficult to take the medication.

Other things you can do include lifestyle changes and bladder training programs. For instance, your doctor may recommend that you cut out caffeine, spicy foods, and various other things that can be bladder irritants. He or she may suggest that you work on a timed voiding schedule, where you go to the restroom on a schedule - perhaps once an hour to start, and gradually increase the time between trips.

ltaluv said:
Developing incontinence is possible at any age. With urge incontinence, it can be due to bladder or urethral irritation, infection, muscle or nerve issues, or unknown reasons.

Kegel exercises are most people's first advice, which may or may not apply in the case of urgency - that's something your doctor will help you decide. In cases of stress incontinence they're often very useful, but can be less so in urgency depending on the cause.

If it's a urinary tract infection (UTI), naturally they'll treat it with antibiotics, and the symptoms will normally clear up. Some people find that symptoms remain after the infection is treated, which generally means that the infection triggered an underlying problem.

Nerve and muscle problems can be caused by things as diverse as overactive bladder (OAB), ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), multiple sclerosis, and spinal injuries. There can be lots of different causes, some serious, some less so; this is why it's so important to see a doctor and get a diagnosis. Be sure your doctor knows any other symptoms you're having, as some doctors can be quick to assume it's OAB and give you medications without doing a full workup, and they may miss something important. You often need to be your own advocate and ask lots of questions about the symptoms you're having.

Medications can include things to relax the bladder and things to reduce bladder irritation. Many get relief from the medications, but some don't, and some have side effects that make it difficult to take the medication.

Other things you can do include lifestyle changes and bladder training programs. For instance, your doctor may recommend that you cut out caffeine, spicy foods, and various other things that can be bladder irritants. He or she may suggest that you work on a timed voiding schedule, where you go to the restroom on a schedule - perhaps once an hour to start, and gradually increase the time between trips.

All very good advice. However, have you ever tried going to the bathroom every hour, on the hour? And for every single day, for days on end?

I tried it. I set a reoccuring alarm. And every hour I tried to go to the bathroom before my urges would hit. But you know what, that doesn't work. Life is full of meetings, car trips, bathroomms too far away, and tasks that require attention and concentration for more than just an hour. And then there's overnight too. Uuugh, talk about interrupted sleep- if any.

I also tried it for every two hours too. And realistically speaking, this isn't any more realistic either. You can't expect any person to just drop what they are doing to go do something else. Not every hour, not every two. And sometimes, not even four hours. Sorry, but thinking it's ok to suggest that is just unrealistic and wrong.

The same for neding to change a diaper too. Less than every four hours is not obtainable in the long run. Hence why timed wetting or "just change more often" doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back