Black Friday in Diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolfEmperor

Contributor
I'll be working both Thanksgiving and Black Friday thanks to being back in a state without that pesky "Blue" law.

Don't foul. My mother also works Thanksgiving and if she isn't, the family usually goes to Cooperstown.

Working Black Friday means I will have a station that I must occupy at all times when I am on my shift. So naturally I'm thinking this might be my first official return to diapers.

Anyone else working or shopping on Black Friday who will be similarly attired?

The other day my mother was telling me about how on the news, they showed people who'd lined up for two days to get the iPhone X. Which finally made me pose a question that has lingered on my mind.

When people line up for Black Friday sales or whatever, what do they do about using the bathroom? If they leave the line, do they lose their spot? My mother said they probably bring someone to switch out with them. I said ''Do they wear diapers?'' and followed it up with ''That's what I would do''... which was the first time I'd really let on that I actually use them for their intended purpose.

I told a co-worker that's what I was going to do. Mind you I was "joking" naturally.

This all seems like it may be a good idea; until the fighting breaks out. I'll be watching the stupidity on the interwebs AFTER I do myself a favor and go to antique malls instead.

Entity said:
This all seems like it may be a good idea; until the fighting breaks out. I'll be watching the stupidity on the interwebs AFTER I do myself a favor and go to antique malls instead.

This is more or less my opinion of Black Friday: I avoid it. There's nothing I need so badly I'm going to stand in a line and get trampled for. (Having very little money helps in that too.)

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
This is more or less my opinion of Black Friday: I avoid it. There's nothing I need so badly I'm going to stand in a line and get trampled for. (Having very little money helps in that too.)

Amen on that!

I always spend Black Friday diapered. But I'm in waders in a pit in a muddy field hunting for ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year is the first year since 2012 I’m not working retail on Black Friday and I couldn’t be more thrilled. With that being said I am working at a company that’s open on Black Friday so I’ll still be working. Last year when I worked in a mall it was basically mandatory that I wore a diaper as for my whole shift my store was extremely busy line never slowed down and to make matters worse my store didn’t have a employee bathroom I waited in line almost 30 minutes to pee one year and then I got written up for taking a long break. That’s when I learned to wear and don’t care. This year I’m avoiding the mall like the plague, still wearing a diaper because now I really need them and the plan is to be fat and lazy until it’s time for work. Happy Thanksgiving :)

NateSean said:
I'll be working both Thanksgiving and Black Friday thanks to being back in a state without that pesky "Blue" law.

What's the "Blue" law, out of interest?

NateSean said:
Working Black Friday means I will have a station that I must occupy at all times when I am on my shift. So naturally I'm thinking this might be my first official return to diapers.

You can't be forced to occupy your station at all times -- there must be laws to stop employers forcing their staff into diapers. Of course -- if you want to be diapered, that's another matter! :)

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
The other day my mother was telling me about how on the news, they showed people who'd lined up for two days to get the iPhone X. Which finally made me pose a question that has lingered on my mind.

When people line up for Black Friday sales or whatever, what do they do about using the bathroom? If they leave the line, do they lose their spot? My mother said they probably bring someone to switch out with them. I said ''Do they wear diapers?'' and followed it up with ''That's what I would do''... which was the first time I'd really let on that I actually use them for their intended purpose.

I don't think diapers would be a good solution. Can you imagine standing in a queue for two days without changing your diaper...? People would need breathing apparatus to come near you! :p

I guess I'd better start thinking about getting some Christmas presents for everyone. When is Black Friday this year?

tiny said:

You can't be forced to occupy your station at all times -- there must be laws to stop employers forcing their staff into diapers. Of course -- if you want to be diapered, that's another matter! :)

I don't think diapers would be a good solution. Can you imagine standing in a queue for two days without changing your diaper...? People would need breathing apparatus to come near you! :p

I guess I'd better start thinking about getting some Christmas presents for everyone. When is Black Friday this year?

In the States Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, so November 24.

I think a ''Blue Law'' is a law mandating businesses be closed on certain days, particularly Sundays, usually stemming from religious intentions.

I do my best to avoid going out and engaging the world on Black Friday. It's not a principled avoidance like the anti-consumerism folks (more power to them if they feel that strongly) it's just that I don't like crowds much and that's a day where crowds of cranky people will be the norm rather than the exception. If I'm still 24/7 at that point, I'll be diapered but it won't have anything to do with the day. I'll likely be kicking back with a turkey sandwich and some games or Netlfix.

podmuse said:
This year is the first year since 2012 I’m not working retail on Black Friday and I couldn’t be more thrilled. With that being said I am working at a company that’s open on Black Friday so I’ll still be working. Last year when I worked in a mall it was basically mandatory that I wore a diaper as for my whole shift my store was extremely busy line never slowed down and to make matters worse my store didn’t have a employee bathroom I waited in line almost 30 minutes to pee one year and then I got written up for taking a long break. That’s when I learned to wear and don’t care. This year I’m avoiding the mall like the plague, still wearing a diaper because now I really need them and the plan is to be fat and lazy until it’s time for work. Happy Thanksgiving :)
No way in hell would I wait in line for 30 minutes for a toilet, and when I got there I might not even be able to go with people waiting for my stall.

That's my issue with Black Friday: it's a day when catering to people's greed becomes more important than the employees that have to serve them.
Trevor said:
I do my best to avoid going out and engaging the world on Black Friday. It's not a principled avoidance like the anti-consumerism folks (more power to them if they feel that strongly) it's just that I don't like crowds much and that's a day where crowds of cranky people will be the norm rather than the exception. If I'm still 24/7 at that point, I'll be diapered but it won't have anything to do with the day. I'll likely be kicking back with a turkey sandwich and some games or Netlfix.
If everything goes how I've planned it, I'll be at the YMCA that morning.

It's been years since I've specifically gone out on Black Friday to buy something. A handful of years ago I went with my aunt and mom to Kmart on Thanksgiving evening to look around, but that's about it I think.

tiny said:

State laws vary on what exactly is required. https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/wage-and-hour-laws/meal-and-break-laws/

Example for living in Iowa:
Iowa labor laws require employers to grant a meal period of at least thirty (30) minutes to employees under the age of sixteen (16) scheduled to work five (5) or more consecutive hours. Iowa Code 92.7; IA Div. of Labor Wage FAQs.

Iowa does not have any laws requiring an employer to provide a meal period or breaks to employees sixteen (16) years of age or older, thus the federal rule applies. The federal rule does not require an employer to provide either a meal (lunch) period or breaks. However, if an employer chooses to do so, breaks, usually of the type lasting less than twenty (20) minutes, must be paid. Meal or lunch periods (usually thirty (30) minutes or more) do not need to be paid, so long as the employee is free to do as they wish during the meal or lunch period.

So in that case, if you're over 16 they actually don't have to give you a break, but if they do and it's unpaid, they can't tell you what to do with that break time or make you multitask your work in with your break. Those are breaks for meals and just general downtime. There are additional laws specifically about bathroom breaks - those are federal and are the minimum a business must comply with, regardless of what state you're in. They can't deny you bathroom access.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2014-title29-vol5/xml/CFR-2014-title29-vol5-sec1910-141.xml
(search for "toilet")

title 29: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/29

It's a lot to dig through and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, BUT I did find that it guarantees "prompt access to toilet facilities", where "prompt" is "within 10 minutes travel". I assume this refers to the seat to sit on, not just getting in the door or entering the line. There are also specific requirements of toilets per worker. In a mall or any place that has more than 200 workers, the law requires "1 toilet seat and 1 urinal per 50 workers." If you're using toilets that are shared with the public, it would instead use the maximum building occupancy number. So a mall does have a specific minimum requirement for toilets. If they have a 1,200 person occupancy, (and this number must be on public display somewhere) then they require 24 toilets. (I don't know if 1:50 is the correct number for the occupancy, I'm assuming it is) In the event there was a big line, I would expect it to be less likely caused by too few toilets for the occupancy, and more likely a plumbing problem OR the building is over its occupancy. (which I bet happens on black Friday a lot of places) And that's where the law is being broken in your case. It actually has nothing to do with your break time or the number of toilets, they're probably being legal on those points. Technically the Fire Marshall is the one that enforces occupancy limits. (on the mall, not your employer) So that's the person you will need to plead your case to. (I bet you didn't see that coming!)

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I think a ''Blue Law'' is a law mandating businesses be closed on certain days, particularly Sundays, usually stemming from religious intentions.

tiny said:

You can read about Blue Laws here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

Similarly to what KimbaWolfNagihik said, Blue Laws restrict the types of businesses that can be opened on a particular day(s). In the US, this was usually a Sunday and is still practiced in some parts. Where I live, car dealerships can not sell cars on Sunday but most all other businesses can now be open.

In Massachusetts at least, stores can't be open on Thanksgiving. So a lot of Mass shoppers come to Vermont and (I imagine) New Hampshire to beat the crowd.

As to the break thin, I'm sure we'll get actual breaks. But crowd control is necessary to keep customers from rioting (which has happened before) so being at my assigned post during this time will require all of my caffeinated attention. And that caffeine will be in liquid form.

So I think Attends and a booster will be the ticket. And bag balm. Why shouldn't I treat myself?

NateSean said:
In Massachusetts at least, stores can't be open on Thanksgiving. So a lot of Mass shoppers come to Vermont and (I imagine) New Hampshire to beat the crowd.

I thought Thanksgiving was as big as Christmas in the US...? Do people go shopping on a big "family day" like that? Do people go shopping on Christmas Day too?

NateSean said:
As to the break thin, I'm sure we'll get actual breaks. But crowd control is necessary to keep customers from rioting (which has happened before) so being at my assigned post during this time will require all of my caffeinated attention. And that caffeine will be in liquid form.

Riots? Are the deals really that good? I saw a video of rioting a few years back, but surely shops have learnt from that and taken measures to make sure that no one gets hurt/upset...? It can't be good publicity. :-/

NateSean said:
So I think Attends and a booster will be the ticket. And bag balm. Why shouldn't I treat myself?

Sure! Why not?! Sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a day -- you deserve it!

Wait... er... what's "bag balm"?! Are we talking... er...? What?!

tiny said:
I thought Thanksgiving was as big as Christmas in the US...? Do people go shopping on a big "family day" like that? Do people go shopping on Christmas Day too?

Thanksgiving is VASTLY overshadowed by Christmas. Right now, Christmas stuff is on store shelves, and Christmas commercials are starting to come on TV.

I think a lot of stores used to be closed on Thanksgiving, and opened up early on Black Friday, but now a good number start their sales on Thanksgiving evening.

Most stores stay closed on Christmas. The only one I can readily recall being open is Walgreens (a drug-store chain). Pretty sure movie theaters are open, and Chinese restaurants.

We Americans and our crazy traditions!!!

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Thanksgiving is VASTLY overshadowed by Christmas. Right now, Christmas stuff is on store shelves, and Christmas commercials are starting to come on TV.

Right. So... if a family member living in another country wanted to visit for "the big annual yearly get-together with all the aunts and uncles and everyone", they'd come at Christmas rather than Thanksgiving?

Christmas is crazy here too. On Christmas Eve, most shops close early, but everyone forgets! So we all scramble to buy enough food and alcohol to last us and our extended family and friends for the next few days. There's panic-buying; empty shelves! It's madness!

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Most stores stay closed on Christmas. The only one I can readily recall being open is Walgreens (a drug-store chain). Pretty sure movie theaters are open, and Chinese restaurants.

We Americans and our crazy traditions!!!

Ha ha! Oh -- it's fascinating. :) We've recently been celebrating a terrorist who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament by detonating Chinese fireworks, so crazy traditions are pretty universal, I think! :-D

I was absolutely baffled when I looked at the Wikipedia entry for the "Blue laws" and found so many restrictions on selling cars on certain days of the week. Why cars?! Why not... houses, or... televisions...? That's a bit random! :p

And how come Chinese restaurants are open? I understand many Chinese might not celebrate Christmas, but... who are their customers? Is it mostly Chinese people? Or single people living alone? Or do whole families order Chinese takeaways instead of having roast turkey for their Christmas dinner?

Back in the 1980s when I was little, everywhere in the UK shut on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I remember how incredibly strange it was when petrol stations started opening on Christmas Day. I couldn't quite believe that they'd managed to find people who were willing to work for non-vital services on Christmas Day!

Now every petrol station seems to be open on Christmas Day, and everywhere is open on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. Quite a few pub chains are open for pre-booked Christmas Day Dinners, too... and I can't help thinking how easy and convenient that would be... But... I just couldn't bring myself to buy any goods or services on Christmas Day. I'm sure they're raking it in in overtime wages (triple time?!) but, as a staunch atheist, it's nice to keep Christmas special. :)

tiny said:
Right. So... if a family member living in another country wanted to visit for "the big annual yearly get-together with all the aunts and uncles and everyone", they'd come at Christmas rather than Thanksgiving?

Christmas is crazy here too. On Christmas Eve, most shops close early, but everyone forgets! So we all scramble to buy enough food and alcohol to last us and our extended family and friends for the next few days. There's panic-buying; empty shelves! It's madness!

Ha ha! Oh -- it's fascinating. :) We've recently been celebrating a terrorist who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament by detonating Chinese fireworks, so crazy traditions are pretty universal, I think! :-D

I was absolutely baffled when I looked at the Wikipedia entry for the "Blue laws" and found so many restrictions on selling cars on certain days of the week. Why cars?! Why not... houses, or... televisions...? That's a bit random! :p

And how come Chinese restaurants are open? I understand many Chinese might not celebrate Christmas, but... who are their customers? Is it mostly Chinese people? Or single people living alone? Or do whole families order Chinese takeaways instead of having roast turkey for their Christmas dinner?

Back in the 1980s when I was little, everywhere in the UK shut on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I remember how incredibly strange it was when petrol stations started opening on Christmas Day. I couldn't quite believe that they'd managed to find people who were willing to work for non-vital services on Christmas Day!

Now every petrol station seems to be open on Christmas Day, and everywhere is open on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. Quite a few pub chains are open for pre-booked Christmas Day Dinners, too... and I can't help thinking how easy and convenient that would be... But... I just couldn't bring myself to buy any goods or services on Christmas Day. I'm sure they're raking it in in overtime wages (triple time?!) but, as a staunch atheist, it's nice to keep Christmas special. :)

Well, both Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to involve the family getting together for a big meal - and really, the dinner is the main tradition of Thanksgiving.

As for eating Chinese food on Christmas Day... it's a Jewish stereotype that, according to Wikipedia, has a factual basis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cuisine_in_Jewish_culture_in_the_United_States Although I've told my parents that we should just start a new tradition and eat at the local Chinese buffet on Christmas, because we don't want my aunt coming into the house and possibly bringing her bedbugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back