Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will I be going to hell?

Default Will I be going to hell?

Time for a question of a theological nature. First of, I'm a convinced atheist. That being said, I find theology to be a very interesting subject nonetheless.

So, recently I've been thinking a bit about the concept of the Christian hell. More specifically about who (assuming that hell is a real place and that Christianity is right) would end up there, and most specifically of all if I would.

If I had at some point been brought into Christianity and had then denied God's existence it's probably not that hard to answer. I'd be taking the elevator downstairs when my time comes. However, I've never been a part of any church and haven't even been baptized.

I've heard it said many times that the unbaptized children go to Limbo rather than heaven or hell. And that from there on they need to find God to go on into heaven. I can't remember in what context I've heard that though, so anybody able to back that up would be welcome to do so.

If that is indeed correct, would it apply to me? I mean, I'm not a child. I'm (supposedly) an adult by now and one could argue that since I've had the chance to find and accept God in the time I've had on earth, I would go to hell, baptized or not.

What is Christianity's (I realize there might be several answers since there isn't not one universal form of Christianity) view on unbaptized heathens in general? What becomes of them?

Butterfly Mage

I can give you my two-cent's worth.

As a Wiccan, I don't actually believe in Hell. Even if there is such a place, it would be a place of your own making and it would not be forever, only for learning whatever spiritual lesson you are destined to learn. But, no, i think there is no Hell in the Christian sense of the word.

The Goddess and God love you whether you worship them or not. The measure of one's spiritual journey isn't how hard you can pray, but whether you used your life's experiences to learn what you are destined to learn, and whether you lived a life of kindness, gratitude, and love. The Rede states simply, "An it harm none, do as thou wilt."

In this life you may be an athiest. Maybe it's your destiny in this life to learn what it is like to not have deep spiritual connections with the universe. Maybe in your next life you'll be a monk or a shaman or a parish priest.

If you screw up this life, the karmic debt carries into your next life, but that's not the same as spending an eternity in hell. (considering that I'm an aabuse survivor and my dad was a monster, I'm guessing that I was not kind in a prior life.)

Anyway, that's my theological opinion.

I myself am an atheist as well, but I think the most common answer you'd get is: You can only go to hell once you've reached the "age of reason", which is different depending on the religion. So, if you're a baby and don't get baptized it's not your fault because you didn't know the consequences. But, one you've reached that magical age, it's bow down or burn! So in your case, I say I'll see you in hell for one awesome party. Why is it that all the coolest people end up in hell?

That is, of course, if you believe that you must be baptized to go to heaven. There are some versions of Christianity that don't hold to baptism.

It's all so convoluted isn't it?

DominatingMommy

I promised myself that I would not discuss politics or religion...and now I'm gonna break that promise.

Please do not think that I am trying to push my beliefs on you because I'm very much and live and let die kind of person. That being said, I am a Christian. I worship at a Southern Baptist church. If you'd like to know more about that, check it out at sbc.net Do I believe every single detail that they claim? No.

So, in my opinion, baptism doesn't get you anywhere. That's just an act of worship and "obedience". Do I believe there is a Hell? Absolutely. Do I believe that "good" people go there? Absolutely. I believe the only way to not go to Hell is to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Am I going to tell you that you're going to Hell? No way. Only God has the ability to judge people.

Probably not the answer that you are looking for, but that's the only way I know how to describe it.

Getting baptized or going to church on a regular basis does not make you a good christian just as walking into a garage doesn't make you a car. Those are some really stupid misconceptions about religion I think that nearly everyone belives since they are most likely misinformed about what they hear/know.

I have not been baptized and I don't go to church. I do believe in god and everything however I don't think you have to follow everyone else like your in a flock of sheep. Not to mention most people only go to church to feel good about themselves and do a "I am holier then thou!!" stance.

However if you don't belive in god, etc I do think you can or will go to hell. I don't mean that in a condemning way since that's surely not my area to judge. That's between you and god if he's real at all (not that I really doubt it at all).

As for what hell is like I am willing to bet it's different with each person. My version is just being in a bright medical white room with square foot tiles with enough lite you can see pretty damn far but you won't go blind. There are no doors and there's nothing but you.

Quote Originally Posted by DominatingMommy View Post
    Am I going to tell you that you're going to Hell? No way. Only God has the ability to judge people.
    This is something I do not understand. Why not warn them constantly?

If I believed that hell is an eternal place where you are tortured unmercifully for the rest of existence, I'dd be damned sure that I'd be telling anybody that I cared about, about it. We're talking eternity here!

You see, if someone I knew was suffering immeasurably in hell, I couldn't enjoy myself in heaven. Just thinking of a good person suffering like that for not bowing down to a so-called "superior" being, I can't fathom. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    We're talking eternity here!
    That's the part I really hate about religion... eternity/forever. No matter how good heaven is I just do see myself staying in one place forever. I also don't think god would let people be "Tortured" or whatever for ever either.

the thing I am most unsure of is how long it all last's after your dead and if it ever gets boring.

DominatingMommy

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    This is something I do not understand. Why not warn them constantly?

If I believed that hell is an eternal place where you are tortured unmercifully for the rest of existence, I'dd be damned sure that I'd be telling anybody that I cared about, about it. We're talking eternity here!

You see, if someone I knew was suffering immeasurably in hell, I couldn't enjoy myself in heaven. Just thinking of a good person suffering like that for not bowing down to a so-called "superior" being, I can't fathom. Sorry.
    I never said that I believe that Hell is a place where torture happens. In my opinion, Hell is being separated from God.

I just refuse to take that "you going to Hell and I'm not" stance with people. I'm certainly not "holier than thou".

On other quetion pops to my head too. What happens to people who never hear about Christianity? Are they doomed to hell? Because if they are, God's a mean tyrant. If they aren't, why the hell (pun intended) would you want to teach someone about christ? If that person rejects christianity due to your ineptitude at teaching, they're fried forever.

I never said that I believe that Hell is a place where torture happens. In my opinion, Hell is being separated from God.
    If that's so, and it not unpleasant in any way, it sounds like an awesome place, sign me up!

If it is unpleasant, it sounds like torture to me.

I don't believe in a heaven or a hell, but if I did, I'd go with what the wiccan up there said. ^^ It's a hell of your own making and all that jazz.

Growing up as a catholic here in this liberal country, I was told that everyone gets to go to heaven, and we all fight on the same side of the Good Versus Evil War. But the Catholics were the ones running into the battle with the biggest guns, so to speak.

You could believe that, or you could believe the Baptist version: Everyone goes to hell except for the people who belong to the same religious sect of whomever is preaching at that particular moment.