Which kind of plastic pants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Recently I started wearing cloth diapers - I've sewn myself some pocket diapers + soakers and I'm very happy with the result.

Buti now I'd like to try another version of cloth diapering - flat/prefold with plastic pants, however, taking a look at my reference ABDL shop (ABDLFactory) I see there are 4 posible materials:
  • PUL
  • Rubber
  • Vinyl
  • PVC

And the shop doesn't say anything other than "Good quality X material". Does anyone have a bit of reference on what are the general characteristics of each?

I have more preference on non-crinkly comfortable stuff, so now I'm more keen on taking the rubber ones, but I'm not sure... PUL is also comfortable (I have it in my pocket diapers), but I wonder how do they do to keep the sides stiched without letting it leak.

Vinyl and PVC are the same thing (PVC = Poly Vinyl Chloride). This has the best handle (feel) imo
Rubber was what was used before PVC, not many people around who were actually put in this in childhood
PUL is a new material and I don't know what its like!

PUL is a polyurethane that is laminated onto a nylon outer cover. It is very durable, and will hold up to machine washing for years. The pants are just stiched together really close so pee wont leak past the seams. I've had one pair for 5 years, and still no problems with it.

The gary activewear pul pants are my favorite, and are by far the most comfortable I've ever worn. I highly recommend them.

I myself prefer PUL as well. I got mine from Changing Times Diaper Co. I got 4 years out mine before the elastics wore out.
I've replaced them before CTDC runs out of them. He had them made by Kins in Canada. He supplied them the PUL matl
from a west coast supplier that has since quit handling the printed matl. They can buy from a east coast supplier but the
freight is to costly to have them made. He will still have them in white only.

I prefer vinyl plastic pants; snap-on ones in the daytime and pull-on ones for overnight. They are easy to put on/remove, generally don't leak, are easy to take care of, and last a long time and are inexpensive. I have 1 pair of PUL pants and they tend to leak every time I wear them. Rubber pants are very tight-fitting and don't leak, but they are not the easiest to change, especially if you are in a hurry.

chuck said:
I prefer vinyl plastic pants; snap-on ones in the daytime and pull-on ones for overnight. They are easy to put on/remove, generally don't leak, are easy to take care of, and last a long time and are inexpensive. I have 1 pair of PUL pants and they tend to leak every time I wear them. Rubber pants are very tight-fitting and don't leak, but they are not the easiest to change, especially if you are in a hurry.

I'd be willing to bet those are the sani-pant. While PUL, they are made with a horribly loose fit. They leak on me every time too.

If you get a good pair of gary pants, properly sized, then they will work every but as good as plastic or vinyl will.

Slomo said:
I'd be willing to bet those are the sani-pant. While PUL, they are made with a horribly loose fit. They leak on me every time too.

If you get a good pair of gary pants, properly sized, then they will work every but as good as plastic or vinyl will.

Thanks, Slomo. Actually, they are Fuubuu. I will definitely try a pair of Gary pants next time I need some, but for right now I will stay with my Haian plastic pants.

The Fuubuu or Nicediaper plastic baby pants aren't bad. Order a size larger since they run small. I like the transparent pull ups. Inexpensive prices and free shipping but slow.

I wore the vinyl plastic underpants for a number of years. Dogboy was the first that matter-of-factly steered me to the PUL version when I asked on this site about getting too warm in the crotch with vinyl plastic underpants and what did DLs do. I will never go back. I bought the GARY PULs and they fit perfectly and breathe very well. The GARY brand has the leg holes a bit facing forward which is nice. I am very comfortable in them and with my training underwear I can go 24 hours of wearing without severe warmth buildup. I think any BRAND of plastic underpants can be poor fitting and leak whether they are PUL or something else. The GARY brand just happens to fit me well. I have my PUL pant for over 5 years now and they are still doing well.

Haha....I was just getting ready to comment. PUL and vinyl are very different materials and have a different feel. I wear both depending on the situation. Vinyl have the old Gerber plastic pants feel and look more retro. I think they can hold pee smell in better. You can buy them with the high waist which will better cover a larger, cloth diaper. I typically wore them when I went to bed. I often wear PUL during the day as they are more comfortable and are less hot. PUL are more expensive, but you might try one of each and see which you like best. There's no doubt that the PUL will last longer and as was said, and you can wash them in the washing machine with detergent. You should never use soap on vinyl as it will make them stiff and crack. Eventually they will do that anyway from the oils on your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back