Question on bedwetting and absorbency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChentoWoBaba

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
for the first time i wore a diaper (s4 with regular tranquility booster) to sleep and before hand i did have some things to drink (not alchohol and i normally drink before i sleep). For sake of giving all the details yes my diaper was used once or twice before hand (one larger pee and one smaller one) the abena should hold this with a booster quite well. Well i woke up early with a small urge but went back to sleep, when i woke up again the urge was strong and i let it out and it leaked pretty good. Now it did not feel full (you know how an abena is full because it feels wet instead of dry), nor was my morning wiz a real flood but still a good one. I looked at myself in the mirror before bed and the pee stain or discoloration on the diaper was only on the bottom of the diaper between my legs but after it leaked i checked again and it was wet all the way up to the top of the back and top of the front. did me just laying down cause the liquid already inside of the diaper to squeeze around and i just leaked because of it not absoarbing fast enough or did i just expererience my first bedwetting in over 15 years. Is this normal for other non bedwetters to wet in their sleep if they are wearing because of your body knowing its secure in a diaper or is this something that can progress into nightime incontenince. Also any tips for leaking at the leg gathers right inbetween my legs, after multiple wettings it usually pools and inflates a part of the leg gathers (and i mean inflates it, you feel like a bubble almost).

You probably just peed in the diaper too much. An S4 doesn't have all that much padding or absorbency to begin with. Combine that with you going to bed wet to begin with, then waking and wetting it two more times, and yeah it was bound to leak.

If you intend to pee that much again, and don't want leaks, then you will just need to start using better diapers.

ChentoWoBaba said:
for the first time i wore a diaper

Hi! Looks like you're new here. Please introduce yourself here as we like to know more about our members than that wonderful padding we all like to wear. Thanks and welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice: one diaper one wet.

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

Your right, I here from people that they get 7 8 9 wetting from their diapers but I need never question how big the wetting are and how hard they do it, I don't push it out as hard as I can but I don't squirt and try to stem the flow, I just go. I really just like the ability wet or mess(not much messing since it's a job too) without clean up since clothes wetting/messing is to much clean up. Any other way to tell when a diaper is going to leak since I hate stopping mid flow since that so un natural. Also should I be worried about betweting or did I just overflow and think I must of used it up in my sleep

ChentoWoBaba said:
I looked at myself in the mirror before bed and the pee stain or discoloration on the diaper was only on the bottom of the diaper between my legs but after it leaked i checked again and it was wet all the way up to the top of the back and top of the front.

Oh yeah, that was definitely past your diaper's capacity!

Occasionally when I've wet a lot and it's not quite time to get up I will reach around and dip my hand in the back top to see where the "water line" has reached. (or sometimes you can feel the outside shell and tell where the water line is) If I find wet padding within 2" of the back top of my diaper's padding, I either hop up and change or I stop wetting till I get up. Any more you add past that puts you at serious risk of a leak out the back top. I've done that once, and it was quite a bad leak. Never again.

The wide padding in the back is like your diaper's "main storage". Once your crotch gets wet, everything else you add wicks into the padding and causes the wetness already in the back to spread out until it reaches the edge of the padding. Keep wetting and eventually you push it out the back top because it's the lowest (assuming you're laying on your back)

It takes a little time to get a good feel for how much you can wet your diaper without checking it. And it varies from diaper to diaper of course. I know I pause for thought before changing into my overnight diaper, "How much did I drink tonight? How much did I already pee?" Then I make a selection. Last night I know I was thinking, "I won't need anything too thick for tonight, but I I don't think a thin diaper will last me the night.. so how about something in *medium*..." --> 8 hrs later --> one mostly full confidry 24/7, wet to about that magic 2" point. win :)

ChentoWoBaba said:
Your right, I here from people that they get 7 8 9 wetting from their diapers but I need never question how big the wetting are and how hard they do it, I don't push it out as hard as I can but I don't squirt and try to stem the flow, I just go. I really just like the ability wet or mess(not much messing since it's a job too) without clean up since clothes wetting/messing is to much clean up. Any other way to tell when a diaper is going to leak since I hate stopping mid flow since that so un natural. Also should I be worried about betweting or did I just overflow and think I must of used it up in my sleep

The *average* adult will not need to pee untill their bladder is at least 75% full. The *average* full bladder is about 600 milliters (but can easily range from 400-800ml). So by the averages, one wetting can be expected to be roughly 400ml. A flooding would be about 600ml.

Betterdry is undisputedly the most absorbent diaper out there, and can easily hold 3000-4000ml under real world conditions (maybe even 5000, no joke). No other diaper can even come close to this in spite of their lab tested claims. This is the ONLY diaper I know of which can hold 9 or so actual wettings.

Others who say they can wet an abean, molicare, or such, 9+ times is really just saying they can do a smaller controlled release of pee in their diaper that many times. Well yeah, if I only pee 1ml per "wetting", then my betterdry can contain up to 5000 wettings. This is why the term wetting is just to subjective to be a valid form of measurement.

And as others said, you just exceeded the maximum capacity of the diaper you were using. You will need better diapers next time. An actual premium diaper does great in keeping pee away from your skin for a good long while. It will swell up pretty big and start to actually feel wet before it leaks too. This is one good way to know you will need to change soon.

Another way I often use is to pinch the lower backside of my diaper. If it is still solid or mostly solid, then it is dry and doesn't need changing. If it is noticably squishy, then I should change soon or the risk of leaks will become too high for my own comfort.

I personally think that most "diaper capacity" ratings are fiction. Worse than the "MPG" ratings on cars at the lot. Either due to outright off-the-cuff numbers to questionable testing practices and assumptions.
- no diaper, in practical use, will ever get all of its padding wet. Guys will get more out of their diaper while standing thank gals when pointed up, getting all of the front and crotch wet, with only a small amount up the back before leaking out the legs
- overnight while laying on your back, the upper front of your diaper is going to stay dry, though you may be able to make full use of the back along with the crotch
So any test that soaks all of the padding I will already call BS on, and that's before we even start to consider press-out.

Then there's the reality that an "absolutely soaked" diaper will spring leaks all over the place regardless of what you do. Sit down, walk, lay down, just stand still, it doesn't matter. ALL of the "soak tests" I've seen online were all about "lets pour water all over this diaper in a bathtub and carefully pick up this blob and try to weigh it as quickly as possible while water is still pouring out/off of it in streams".

I wouldn't trust a betterdry to capture more than 2L (2,000mL) without leaking significantly. You might be able to get 3,000-3,500mL or so loosely held long enough to not pour out onto the floor, but there's no chance you could sit on that without losing several cups to the chair. Just think about the volume you're talking about - 5,000mL is two and a half 2L containers. Granted there's not a lot of overhead in the plastic shell and activated sap, but I just don't think you can get the volume of a betterdry to that size even if you fully saturate it.

I think if we're going to seriously discuss diaper capacity we're going to need to come up with a specific method of measuring it.

And really, I can't think of a better group of people than here to be coming up with this.

bambinod said:
I personally think that most "diaper capacity" ratings are fiction. Worse than the "MPG" ratings on cars at the lot. Either due to outright off-the-cuff numbers to questionable testing practices and assumptions.
- no diaper, in practical use, will ever get all of its padding wet. Guys will get more out of their diaper while standing thank gals when pointed up, getting all of the front and crotch wet, with only a small amount up the back before leaking out the legs
- overnight while laying on your back, the upper front of your diaper is going to stay dry, though you may be able to make full use of the back along with the crotch
So any test that soaks all of the padding I will already call BS on, and that's before we even start to consider press-out.

Then there's the reality that an "absolutely soaked" diaper will spring leaks all over the place regardless of what you do. Sit down, walk, lay down, just stand still, it doesn't matter. ALL of the "soak tests" I've seen online were all about "lets pour water all over this diaper in a bathtub and carefully pick up this blob and try to weigh it as quickly as possible while water is still pouring out/off of it in streams".

I wouldn't trust a betterdry to capture more than 2L (2,000mL) without leaking significantly. You might be able to get 3,000-3,500mL or so loosely held long enough to not pour out onto the floor, but there's no chance you could sit on that without losing several cups to the chair. Just think about the volume you're talking about - 5,000mL is two and a half 2L containers. Granted there's not a lot of overhead in the plastic shell and activated sap, but I just don't think you can get the volume of a betterdry to that size even if you fully saturate it.

I think if we're going to seriously discuss diaper capacity we're going to need to come up with a specific method of measuring it.

And really, I can't think of a better group of people than here to be coming up with this.

I vote for the method xpmedical uses. While it IS still a form of lab testing, it's probably the closest we can get to real world conditions.

bambinod said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to top the method used in this forum’s Articles / Diaper Reviews section:

“To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.”

I wouldn’t think lying down would express/move that much liquid around your diaper due to the SAP crystals.

As a bedwetter (without my nappies) for sure if your diaper is full it’s full and gonna leak.

Slomo said:
I vote for the method xpmedical uses. While it IS still a form of lab testing, it's probably the closest we can get to real world conditions.

What method is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Argent said:
I wouldn’t think lying down would express/move that much liquid around your diaper due to the SAP crystals.

As a bedwetter (without my nappies) for sure if your diaper is full it’s full and gonna leak.

I was referring more to the combined efforts of gravity and wicking, that in most diapers does a good job of using the padding up close to and hopefully including the padding at the far back of your diaper.

AFAIK the confidy247 are some of the best wicking higher capacity diapers I wear. MOST higher capacity diapers have enough SAP to capture wetness in its tracks as it tries to move through the padding, and creates a distinct "water line" in the back, where one spot in the padding is clearly damp, and even just one inch farther back it's totally dry. Confidry don't do that, there's a good 4-5" transition area in the back. Here I thought the back 5" of my padding was dry this morning, but when I changed I found that it was wet all the way to the back of the padding, to a slight degree.

Most nights I end up with a wet patch in my sheet as I wet heavily and my nappies rarely cope but at least it is better than laying in a large puddle

Slomo said:
Betterdry is undisputedly the most absorbent diaper out there, and can easily hold 3000-4000ml under real world conditions (maybe even 5000, no joke). No other diaper can even come close to this in spite of their lab tested claims.

The Super Boompa is rated higher than BetterDry, and probably absorbs more in practise.

WBxx said:
I think you'd be hard pressed to top the method used in this forum’s Articles / Diaper Reviews section:

“To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.”

Yeah, but YOU tested them out. As did other users make the other reviews. I guarantee you a diaper fits me differently than on you, so what might give you a good seal might not work for me. I also guarantee you almost nobody will pee 100ml at a time in 30 second increments

This is the point I made about xpmedical's testing. You need to remove the human element in order to make it the same for everyone. And at the same time do your best to meet actual real-world conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
What method is that?

https://www.xpmedical.com/adult-diaper-testing-methods

Their testing isn't perfect, but I've got to say it's at least a neutral means of testing that's very quantative and fair, while also reproducable the exact same way for every type of diaper out there.

- - - Updated - - -

tiny said:
The Super Boompa is rated higher than BetterDry, and probably absorbs more in practise.

And how did each diaper get tested? Are you SURE you're comparing the exact same testing methods for both diapers? Probably not- and hence the problem here.

Ps, while I have not personally tested super boompa (not available in the US), I was only able to test betterdry via my own use. They absolutely do excell- for me. I don't doubt super boompa works for you though, and have to admit they look pretty capable. Hopefully I'll be able to try them some day, without paying an exorbitant price).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back