Porta Potty Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltaluv

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Yuck. I was attending a large outdoor festival today, and had the dubious privilege of changing in a porta potty. There were none of the larger handicapped-accessible porta potties available, and while there were permanent restrooms on the other side of the event, the lines were horrendous.

I managed, but it was cramped, difficult, and I was constantly afraid I'd drop something in a place that I wasn't willing to pick it up. I ended up stuffing the wet diaper in my bag, since I didn't care to be seen throwing a used diaper into one of the trash cans by the porta potties, and I'm not one to just throw stuff like that down into the porta potty where it's going to clog up the pumping truck.

I wished I'd had some hand sanitizer in my bag - I'm so used to being able to wash my hands after I change that I hadn't ever thought about needing it.

ltaluv said:
Yuck. I was attending a large outdoor festival today, and had the dubious privilege of changing in a porta potty. There were none of the larger handicapped-accessible porta potties available, and while there were permanent restrooms on the other side of the event, the lines were horrendous.

I managed, but it was cramped, difficult, and I was constantly afraid I'd drop something in a place that I wasn't willing to pick it up. I ended up stuffing the wet diaper in my bag, since I didn't care to be seen throwing a used diaper into one of the trash cans by the porta potties, and I'm not one to just throw stuff like that down into the porta potty where it's going to clog up the pumping truck.

I wished I'd had some hand sanitizer in my bag - I'm so used to being able to wash my hands after I change that I hadn't ever thought about needing it.

Been there, done that. The first time I ever attempted to change without leaning against something was in a nasty porta potty.

Holding everything without dropping my bag or clean diaper was the hardest part, but putting it on and getting a good fit without having a wall to lean against was a close second. Maybe next time I should walk to the other side of the event and wait in the long line for the family restroom, but I didn't want to endure the glares of the mothers with kids to change and the disabled people who don't think that I, as an apparently able-bodied person, should be taking up time in their restroom.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the looks I've gotten while using family restrooms.

I wear diapers to try to AVOID Port-a-Potties and long lines... so I really probably wouldn't change in one, but I don't change in public anyway.

I was out there from 5:30 AM to 9:30 PM on three days, so not changing at some point wasn't an option. :)

Some afternoons I was able to go use the family restrooms, but on the days that the festival was crowded all day it just wasn't practical. I survived the experience, but I'm not looking forward to repeating it.

I have not had that dubious pleasure of changing in a porta-potty yet. I know it's a matter of time. Does anyone have good advice on changing in horrendous places like that?

Practice at home either in a crowded bathroom, shower, or a closet. Do it many times until you are comfortable doing it fast. Carry extra supplies with you just in case. Eventually it will be just as easy as putting your shoes and socks on.

Well, I have been getting really good at changing standing up--since I'm doing my own changes it seems to be the best way to get a tight diaper. But I'm so used to using my butt to hold the diaper against the wall.

My method was this:

1. Pull down jeans.
2. Take clean diaper from backpack and Rick it under my chin.
3. Remove wet diaper, roll it up, and put it in backpack.
4. Put backpack on back.
5. Pull clean diaper between legs and hold it by squeezing legs together.
6. Put one upper tape in correct place - I just went with my best guess of where it should be.
7. Put second upper tape in place. Easy to get this one right.
8. Adjust first upper tape if necessary.
9. Put lower tapes in place.
10. Pull up jeans and tuck in shirt.

Port-a-potties are really one of my least favorite places to change for me, especially if its a messy change. Port-a-potty being right up there with bar bathroom, gas station bathroom or busy retail store bathroom. Haven't had the displeasure of a roadside/in car diaper change yet thankfully :p

I occasionally would get posted on construction sites and sometimes ended up taking double shifts, either because the overtime was worth it or the person to take over next shift bailed.
Downside of this is spending 8+ hours in one diaper(would usually be a double boosted M4, boosted ABU Simple or boosted Rears Seduction) isn't really possible for me, the port-a-potties are almost always absolutely disgusting and like stated above, there's basically little to no space to decently change.

Bright side being its usually at night and no one's around, no lines or people banging on the door to hurry up and since it was secluded I'd usually go a little overkill with padding up :biggrin:
Sometimes if the site is secluded enough I'd just leave my bag and belt right outside during the change. There was even one site that had those port-a-sinks right outside to wash my hands :thumbsup:
Like I said it was usually always night shifts and I have yet to be posted on a nicely lit up site so its usually very dark, thankfully I can set a flashlight on the roof and light up the port-a-potty enough to change.

And a friendly reminder, having hand sanitizer and one of those over the door hooks is awesome and makes finding a place for your diaper bag much easier if there's no clean place to set it.

PaddedDeist said:
I have not had that dubious pleasure of changing in a porta-potty yet. I know it's a matter of time. Does anyone have good advice on changing in horrendous places like that?

Don't touch the walls.

Memorizing where the tapes need to end up is also a must. You will kind of need to loosely hold your new diaper between your thighs first (hands free like). Without worrying about fit, just put the first tape where it's supposed to go. With the first one in place, adjust the diaper for a semi-correct fit and alignment. Tape one the second one, again not worring too much about fit, just where you know it will need to go. With two down, now you can adjust the diaper better, and tape on the last two.

ltaluv said:
My method was this:

1. Pull down jeans.
2. Take clean diaper from backpack and put it under my chin.
3. Remove wet diaper, roll it up, and put it in backpack.
4. Put backpack on back.
5. Pull clean diaper between legs and hold it by squeezing legs together.

10. Pull up jeans and tuck in shirt.

I have done it with cloth diapers and snap-on plastic pants too. Although it helps if you have a onesie or t-shirt to pin the clean diaper to, in an emergency I just lay the clean diaper in the unsnapped plastic pants, snap the top snap on each side, pull them up, finish snapping them and pull up my jeans and I am ready to go.

Changing my dirty diaper in a port-a-potty is difficult for a guy like me with cerebral palsy.
I had to do it at the Deerfield Fair in Deerfield, NH last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back