Any gearheads amongst us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosie82

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Just curious if there are any other mechanics out there thst are also littles.

As for me, I work on planes for the money and my trucks for fun.

How about y'all??

Moosie

I have a project car that I'm eternally working on. The plan is to start taking it to HPDE track days a few times a year, I also go to SEMA every year (I'm a Vegas local) and I try and perform most of my own car maintenance. I find working on cars to be very cathartic and to be a nice change of pace from my day job.

I used to be. Even swapped out an engine in my backyard once (without a proper lift too). Sadly, my physical health no longer affords me that ability. It's almost too difficult for me to change the oil anymore.

I'm into electro and a few into cars. Worked in energetic sector and before as a train pilot. Now I'm without any fix job...

Been a gearhead all my life. Cars, motorcycles just about anything with an engine and even stuff without (bicycles). Followed drag racing for about 20 years and even had a bracket car for a couple. Now mostly into motorcycles, my lifelong passion. I was going to say I've been into mechanical stuff since I was out of diapers but................................

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there that is in diapers on iccasion while working around heavy equipment..

I had a couple of cars I raced on the quarter mile track, back in the day. Sadly, those days are gone for me.

Slowly turning a '31 Chevy into a resto-rod in my garage right now. Was going to take it original, but engine block was cracked in six places, head was cracked in a dozen, and spare head that came with it was cracked in eighteen.

Now have a 350 to go in it, trans from 88 Camaro, and just got Ford 9 inch rear a couple weeks ago.

Working on getting an 87 f-250 back into running order.. previous owner (and subsequently my work supervisor) kinda let it go when he started hsving problems with it.. now I'm brushing up on 6.9 idi diesel engines.. it's a bit differently paced than my daily job.. mainly more compact..

Currently own 11 vehicles (all in running condition, thank you). Own two automotive related businesses. Spend hours wrenching and dreaming on Craigslist. I'd say I qualify!

Nice.. I kinda envy you..

Moosie82 said:
Nice.. I kinda envy you..

If you saw my insurance and maintenance bills you might reconsider :sad: I really hate it when I have to have that discussion with my accountant every year.

Necessary evil.. mostly evil though...

ik been een gearhead, but not so much, nowadays. getting injured at work put paid to that, but the old ways are still called upon, now and then, and probably more to come as my car ages.

my car failed it's annual, official inspection (MOT) undertaken by the same dweeb who'd failed it a few years back; yep, the usual bloke doesn't fail it and i don't mean that the usual bloke is dodgy, more like it's other one who is [thinking that he'll get some work out of it].

aside from failing the emmissions (standard failing fayre by the dodgy, since who can verify it?), he failed it on one bush on the back axle:
2017_0929a0434 Standard e-mail view.jpg

it's the one on the right of the pic; totally goosed, ain't it? :rolleyes:
anyway, i replaced all of them, along with making up some new brake lines (no fail on the corrosion, there), freeing up the brake regulator (no fail, again) and a fraying handbrake cable (okay, i'll let him off with that one as it couldn't be seen until off the caliper). oh, and i tended to the rust as best i could, given the time restraint for a free re-test. normally, it would've been a day and half's work, but it took me nine days.
and it did set my mind to replacing the rear axle bearings and seals, as the seals are aged (anyone with tips on easily removing torsion bars on french cars? i've watched the vids on youtube, but they all seem to be edited and give the impression of an easy job, which is contrary to what everybody says and my own previous experience with an AX).

ProudPaddedBro said:
If you saw my insurance and maintenance bills you might reconsider :sad: I really hate it when I have to have that discussion with my accountant every year.
Insurance doesn't really hit me all that much My big one is My fuel bill. I have like 30 something vehicles Spread across 3 counties Most of which don't run or don't have titles (parts if you will) but i have about 11 that run and of those 11 the most fuel efficient one only gets 9-12 MPG. That and I have a bad habit of saying f*** it And driving halfway across the country on a whim. Last time I was home I decided I wanted some good Mexican food so I drove from Kentucky to Texas. Im very irresponsible with gas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi I'm a mechanic I actually work on plant machinery excavators, loaders n stuff like that. I work on cars for fun when I've some free time, big into subarus at the mo. Like the fact they use a different style engine than every other make (at least in the uk) closest there is is the flat 6 that Porsche make but as far as I'm aware there the only company that now make a 4 pot boxer engine. Then there's my other side that likes to wear nappies and dress up as a toddler boy. I have some shortalls short rompers and shorts n t shirts all with poppers at the crotch hehe

I consider myself more of a car RACING person, than simply being a car person. I would rather watch a dirt track racer drive their way from the back of the field in a short heat race, than to spend all day walking around a park or fairgrounds, merely admiring some over-chromed, over-polished show car.

I'm not all that mechanically inclined. The closest I get to that might be adding a squirt of fuel additive/ cleaner to my gas tank. As far as working on my car, I figure that's what they have factory trained technicians for.

Serial tinkerer here... cars, electronics, computers, software, DIY... although I'm now "over" DIY and into DIY-Avoidance / just pay someone rather than ruin your weekend...

UK based so hello to Ade and Blueboy :thumbsup: don't know about AX's but do know the pain of unexpected MOT failure!

Two "project" cars, three sheds, no time and no money! Built a few cars over the years, been racing (tech support) in some stupid places. Unfortunately I'm not going to post any of it here as I really want to keep things separate.

Reckon that nappies under overalls are the solution for extended spannering sessions in a cold workshop :D

One thing I was fortunate to experience being a life long gearhead and working in a car dealership, I was awarded a trip to Dallas last year to Texas Motor Speedway where I got to drive a genuine Nascar race car for 10 laps then go for a ride in the instructors race car for another 10 laps. I was able to hit top speed of 150mph (our cars were governed) and the instructors car went 180. If people are interested, PM me and I'll give you a link to the video, it was a blast!

RubberJin said:
UK based so hello to Ade and Blueboy :thumbsup: don't know about AX's but do know the pain of unexpected MOT failure!
Reckon that nappies under overalls are the solution for extended spannering sessions in a cold workshop :D

If you send yourself and a pristine Land Rover Defender 110 in a crate to this side of the pond I have a feeling we'll be REALLY good friends !!!

- - - Updated - - -

BuffedBaby said:
One thing I was fortunate to experience being a life long gearhead and working in a car dealership, I was awarded a trip to Dallas last year to Texas Motor Speedway where I got to drive a genuine Nascar race car for 10 laps then go for a ride in the instructors race car for another 10 laps. I was able to hit top speed of 150mph (our cars were governed) and the instructors car went 180. If people are interested, PM me and I'll give you a link to the video, it was a blast!

That's awesome! I got to take my Z06 Corvette around TMS back in 2010, it was an awesome experience. Only issue was they wouldn't let us go over 150 as well. Needless to say I may or may not have hit 165+ on I-35W on my way home that afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back