m4 cancelled- new replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aleakyboomboom said:
Here is how I think it works, Abena no longer produces the plasticbacked as a mainline product, I've not got a single pack of L4 that was not manufactured in 2015, however I am guessing Abena will do a production run every now and again to replenish stock of the plasticbacked nappies for the distributors that demand and have committed to sell them.
Save Express tells us that production has now stopped, ye but how long was it running for anyway? 24-48 hours? enough time to produce enough supply for their now limited non mainstream suppliers.
By Save express announcing this they'll see a boom in demand, and $$$. SE have done this at least twice in the past, making me question their business ethics.

Huh? Save Express only did this once in the past (as far as I know), when Abena THEMSELVES insisted that they were ceasing production of the plastic-backed products. It's not like SE were making anything up.

Also, Save Express's prices are reasonable. They didn't ramp up the price of the PE Abri-Forms when they became scarce, or when they went into production again. And I don't think it would help SE to spread false rumours. People use diapers in a vaguely consistent manner. Bulk buying saves money. If people panic buy in large volumes... it just means it's going to take longer for them to run out and place another order. So I can't see any reason why SE might make up rumours. I can see why Abena might, but not a retailer.

When the PE-backed Abenas were previously stopped, I bought a year's supply from Save Express for no more than it would have cost to buy them locally. I actually saved money by buying a couple of cases. When they came back on the market, I bought another few cases. I haven't been ripped off. The information SE provided about Abena's production helped me ensure that I had a supply of the PE M4s, and to get them at a good price.

When Abena stopped officially producing plastic-backed diapers, and all the UK retailers switched to the rubbish cloth-likes, Save Express was a lifeline for me. They were the first company in the EU (that I'm aware of) who managed to source a supply of the plastic-backed Abenas.

tiny said:
If I had more business nous, and Brexit wasn't hanging over our heads, I'd approach Abena to see if I could buy their PE-backed machine and produce them under licence.

I doubt there is a single "PE-backed machine" no doubt the equipment will be the same, but the press, and cutting/temperature settings changed to whatever material/design they are working, perhaps there are small tooling changes to make also, but it will be using existing plant.
And there I suppose is the issue, they have to take a production line off, make these changes, then change back. all takes time.

tiny said:
If I had more business nous, and Brexit wasn't hanging over our heads, I'd approach Abena to see if I could buy their PE-backed machine and produce them under licence.

Well, somehow I was under the impression that that had already happened back when the PE-backed Abenas were discontinued for the first time. Sadly, I can't quote any sources, because the forum in which the discussion took place back then no longer exists (at least not in the same form), but as far as I remember... when Abena pulled the PE-backed diapers, a company in either Spain or Portugal bought the assembly line and started producing the PE-backed M/L4s under licence. But it might have also been the case that this spanish/portugese company actually was a subsidiary of Abena.

Astatine said:
Well, somehow I was under the impression that that had already happened back when the PE-backed Abenas were discontinued for the first time. Sadly, I can't quote any sources, because the forum in which the discussion took place back then no longer exists (at least not in the same form), but as far as I remember... when Abena pulled the PE-backed diapers, a company in either Spain or Portugal bought the assembly line and started producing the PE-backed M/L4s under licence. But it might have also been the case that this spanish/portugese company actually was a subsidiary of Abena.

Clearly thats incorrect, as Abena have produced PE backed nappies Made in Denmark this year.

DPRLuv85 said:
It seems as though in the US they will NOT be discontinued. This comes from The Diaper Fairy. If you're not familiar with the Diaper Fairy, they are a brick and mortar store that sells ABDL diapers in NY. They seem to have the inside scoop. Anyway, here's the link to their Tweet on the matter...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDiaperFairy/status/911194546301784064
Beat me to it, I was about to post this tweet. I'm happy they are going to keep producing my preferred Diaper, but I'm still going to be on the hunt for a new diaper that can match their price-to-performance ratio that's as comfortable for me to wear. At this point, I'm just tired of waiting for the pin to drop. I'm starting to think the yearly scares are specifically to drum up a fear based run to sell off remaining stock, and drive off regular users so they can quit having the "it sells well" excuse to keep producing. Which just sounds ludicrous for an actual business, but I've stopped expecting logic and reason from non-ABDL related diaper companies. Sadly.

aleakyboomboom said:
Clearly thats incorrect, as Abena have produced PE backed nappies Made in Denmark this year.

Couldn't tell, haven't used them in years. However, upon digging I found a thread in a german community* from 2 years ago which contains both versions of the story. But the Denmark-version clearly is the right one. One of the posts also explains that the production was unofficial (i. e. Abena really wanted to focus on cloth backed products, didn't advertise the PE ones etc) and the only way for retailes to obtain PE Abenas was by ordering them by container load directly from Abena. If that's the case and Abena shuts down the production for good then there is no way that the US market will still be supplied in the future (maybe US retailers still have one last shipment coming in). So, enjoy it while you still can :smile1:

On a larger scale this makes absolutely sense for Abena. They produce medical products first and foremost and old school plastic-backed diapers are nothing more than a niche product for them. Even if it generates them a tiny bit of revenue that's next to nothing compared to the vast mountains of money they make with their cloth backed products via european healthcare systems.

*I'm not sure whether the site in question falls under ADISC-appropriate content, so if somebody wants a link -> PM

Astatine said:
Couldn't tell, haven't used them in years. However, upon digging I found a thread in a german community* from 2 years ago which contains both versions of the story. But the Denmark-version clearly is the right one. One of the posts also explains that the production was unofficial (i. e. Abena really wanted to focus on cloth backed products, didn't advertise the PE ones etc) and the only way for retailes to obtain PE Abenas was by ordering them by container load directly from Abena. If that's the case and Abena shuts down the production for good then there is no way that the US market will still be supplied in the future (maybe US retailers still have one last shipment coming in). So, enjoy it while you still can :smile1:

On a larger scale this makes absolutely sense for Abena. They produce medical products first and foremost and old school plastic-backed diapers are nothing more than a niche product for them. Even if it generates them a tiny bit of revenue that's next to nothing compared to the vast mountains of money they make with their cloth backed products via european healthcare systems.

*I'm not sure whether the site in question falls under ADISC-appropriate content, so if somebody wants a link -> PM

The point is, clearly the PE range is not mainsteam product, yes we know this, so its not something they manufacture on a weekly/daily basis, the point is they still do manufacture batches, and although I've no doubt that they shutdown production at the end of each batch, this does in no way mean production will not be restarted to replenish stock of certain customers.

Save Express is taking the piss claiming this, while other US based suppliers claim its not a problem.

We at NorthShore expect to have the plastic-back Abena briefs available in the US for many months, if not longer.

If PE Abena disappears from the market, my new go to diaper will be Tenas new Active Fit Ultima. IMO comparable in absorption, also nice smooth plastic and good tapes.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

DPRLuv85 said:
It seems as though in the US they will NOT be discontinued. This comes from The Diaper Fairy. If you're not familiar with the Diaper Fairy, they are a brick and mortar store that sells ABDL diapers in NY. They seem to have the inside scoop. Anyway, here's the link to their Tweet on the matter...

Fantastic news. I use these as my "cheaper quality alternative" when I don't feel like dropping for a case of abu.

DPRLuv85 said:

DPRLuv85 is correct.

Contrary to what some people may have heard, the Abri-Form (plastic backed) M4's are NOT being discontinued, at least NOT in North America. After contacting Abena customer service, a Abena rep from California assured me there are no plans to discontinue them saying, and I quote, "We are not discontinuing our M4. This product sells well and is a customer favorite."

dlguy4life said:
DPRLuv85 is correct.

Contrary to what some people may have heard, the Abri-Form (plastic backed) M4's are NOT being discontinued, at least NOT in North America. After contacting Abena customer service, a Abena rep from California assured me there are no plans to discontinue them saying, and I quote, "We are not discontinuing our M4. This product sells well and is a customer favorite."

Well, this is just about the best news ever.

dlguy4life said:
DPRLuv85 is correct.

How exactly did you contact them? Did you make a international Phone call to Abena HQ? I placed a email to Abena and have not heard back from them in weeks! So unless its a supplier that is speculating I want to hear it from the company themselves. Any supplier who is a ADISC member can only speculate unless proof from Abena is posted here for ALL to see... Will wait for response from Abena or proof from a ADISC Member who can copy and paste the statement DIRECTLY from Abena...

xpluswearer said:
How exactly did you contact them? Did you make a international Phone call to Abena HQ? I placed a email to Abena and have not heard back from them in weeks! So unless its a supplier that is speculating I want to hear it from the company themselves. Any supplier who is a ADISC member can only speculate unless proof from Abena is posted here for ALL to see... Will wait for response from Abena or proof from a ADISC Member who can copy and paste the statement DIRECTLY from Abena...

LOL Well that was fast Abena !! Someone from the company must have read this and returned my email okay folks here is what the email said in toto:
As of right now we have no plans to discontinue either product.

We are happy with the products we have available and the M4 and L4’s are great sellers.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Karina Padilla

Customer Service Representative

ABENA NORTH AMERICA, INC.

600 Corporate Pointe, Suite 1100

Culver City, CA 90230

takes egg off face LOL

Good.

xpluswearer said:
LOL Well that was fast Abena !! Someone from the company must have read this and returned my email okay folks here is what the email said in toto:
As of right now we have no plans to discontinue either product.

We are happy with the products we have available and the M4 and L4’s are great sellers.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Karina Padilla

Customer Service Representative

ABENA NORTH AMERICA, INC.

600 Corporate Pointe, Suite 1100

Culver City, CA 90230

takes egg off face LOL

Thank god.

That being said, when M4's dissappeared from the UK I went to plain white MyDiapers from SaveExpress.de

Amazon is advertising plastic backed M4s. I know because I just bought some.

dogboy said:
Amazon is advertising plastic backed M4s. I know because I just bought some.

They're still available on Save Express, who have the message saying that production stopped on 15 September. Last time Abena tried to stop production it took a few months for Save Express to run out of stock.

It sounds like the plastic-backed diapers are safe in the US for now, but I wonder what's going to happen in Europe when the current stocks run dry. Will they sort something out as before, or are Abena really going to restrict them to the US?!

RearzM4Announcement.png

Apparently the saga continues, Rearz put this on my twitter feed this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back