How to stop diaper tabs from ripping plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Hey all,
So in my quest to find the perfect night time diaper. I have come across the molicare super plus (blue). The only real criticisms I have is the color (prefer white) and the tabs. I noticed that as soon as I place the tabs onto the plastic to fasten it sticks like a super glue no joke. I lightly pressed it onto the plastic to test and bam! I couldn't remove it without tearing through the plastic. It really frustrates me that I find nappies that the tabs keep coming off or ones that are so sticky they rip the plastic. I could let my criticism of the color go if only the tabs would be refastenable. But they seem superglued no matter how slowly I pull to readjust they are dead locked onto the plastic.
Anyone have any ideas? I wouldn't mind this being my night-time diaper if not for this issue.

Humm? you mean the tapes are doing their job?

Yes and that's great they don't come off but say i accidentally put it where I don't want it to. It's like I need to get it right first time and even if only super lightly pressing on it it still super glues itself otherwise the whole diaper is wasted as it doesn't fit correctly. What a waste.

I thought the super pluses had double tapes. Or did they get rid of those when they switched from purple to blue?

Vic92 said:
I thought the super pluses had double tapes. Or did they get rid of those when they switched from purple to blue?

You are absolutely right they do. They have blue and white my gosh how did I not see that?! cool I like that but will that stop them from ripping?

Most premium diapers have a laminated plastic landing zone for the tapes for exactly this reason. You might be able to proxy this by using clear scotch tape over the front of the diaper where the tapes are fastened.

RJDodger said:
Most premium diapers have a laminated plastic landing zone for the tapes for exactly this reason. You might be able to proxy this by using clear scotch tape over the front of the diaper where the tapes are fastened.

Thanks, yeah I have tried that without diapers like the cloth abena and the tabs work much better however I would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

SweetPrincess said:
Thanks, yeah I have tried that without diapers like the cloth abena and the tabs work much better however I would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

I don't think there's much else you can do then, tbh. Tapes need to be strong enough to stick, plastic needs to be thin enough to not be stiff and uncomfortable. Not a good combination for a margin of error. Only other advice would be to keep practicing until you can get a perfect fit everytime, or get diapers that have double tapes.

I had a similar problem with Abena and Northshore. I did the best fit I could laying down and then I followed up with some medical tape to tighten it. The kind of tape that you wrap around a piece of gauze. I am now going through some Seni Quatro cloth like with much better success. I know crinkly is better. Right after I ordered them Northshore started selling Molicare. I'm hoping to get some soon.

So I tried again and they do come off you just need to be really light, lighter pressing then any other diaper I have used. So that's good to know just need to practice a little I guess. Also good to know they do have double tabs I never knew diapers had those and have been wearing for over 3 years.
EDIT: So that's how the double tapes work! they come off and you can move them!

SweetPrincess said:
So that's how the double tapes work! they come off and you can move them!

huh.. it really took you a long time to figure that out. i figured it out instantly. i'd say it's best to learn how to place the tapes properly on the first try. in my experience, those second tapes aren't as strong as the first ones. you can even remove those tapes without ripping the plastic if you're careful

RJDodger said:

This is incorrect. All premium diapers use a double tape system. The ones which use a tape landing zone are mid to high grade diapers, but are not premium.

Get you some white duck tape and place that in the landing zone first. Problem solved!!

Alexia said:
huh.. it really took you a long time to figure that out. i figured it out instantly. i'd say it's best to learn how to place the tapes properly on the first try. in my experience, those second tapes aren't as strong as the first ones. you can even remove those tapes without ripping the plastic if you're careful

I find this to be about right as well. The second chance tapes can generally be relocated, but the first try ones cannot.

And each time your get a good fit, try to memorize where the tape ended up at. Place it in relation to any features on the diaper such as padding or elastic lines beneat, distance from the edges, prints, etc. The next time you go to diaper up just put the tapes in that same spot. You'll have a good fit every time.

Slomo said:
This is incorrect. All premium diapers use a double tape system. The ones which use a tape landing zone are mid to high grade diapers, but are not premium.

TIL almost nothing made by ABU, Rearz, Bambino, etc. are considered "premium."

RJDodger said:

All depends on who is doing the considering.

RJDodger said:

Yeah it's really sad isn't it. They have "flooded" our market with really good diapers, which is really good. But they could have done much better. At least there are still better diapers out there.

I personally don't like that old fashioned double tape system as the super sticky blue tab is pretty unforgiving if it winds up in a spot that doesn't work for you.

I like the idea of putting some packing tape on the front to act as a replacement taping panel and only using the white tapes but it is troublesome to do.

To make it easier to position tapes that bit firmer I lay down on my nappy and bring my knees up a bit with my legs spread before placing the bottom tapes... of course you shouldn't super tighten when like that as when you put your little leggies back down it might be too tight.

Otherwise you might have to accept the blue tapes as sacrificial and reposition only the white tapes... this means risking wrapping the plastic when nappy changing.

Trevor said:
All depends on who is doing the considering.

Not really. The claim of premium (meaning the best all around) can't go to everyone. This just depends on which diapers are the most reliable without leaking, last the longest without falling apart, and absorbing the most before leaking. Across the entire spectrum of those who wear adult diapers.

Don't get me wrong, they are all really good. And they may even have a premium performance for a select few. Just not premium for the majority in general.

Of course, this is changing all the time. I remember abena, or long ago even depends, once used to be premium diapers. Now they aren't even close.

Slomo said:
Not really. The claim of premium (meaning the best all around) can't go to everyone. This just depends on which diapers are the most reliable without leaking, last the longest without falling apart, and absorbing the most before leaking. Across the entire spectrum of those who wear adult diapers.

Don't get me wrong, they are all really good. And they may even have a premium performance for a select few. Just not premium for the majority in general.

Of course, this is changing all the time. I remember abena, or long ago even depends, once used to be premium diapers. Now they aren't even close.

The ABDL market has spoken pretty clearly as to what they consider premium and it's at odds with your opinion. You're welcome to it, of course. It just doesn't match what people find to be the best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back