Looking for advice on M4 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusP

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey guys, so apparently Abena is going to discontinue their plastic backed diapers soon. M4's have been my go to for nearly a decade, and due to a military injury, the V.A. have thankfully provided them for me. But now I think I need to think of a replacement. It has to be medical and plastic, for obvious reasons. So far I have thought of 24/7 and northshore.

I am 100% IC, so thinner diapers are a hassle. I.e. Molicare. I am leaning towards 24/7, because I like the higher rise, although northshore seemed to perform well for a mid rise. Are there any other plastic backed medical diapersnI am missing? I'm interested in betterdry, but afraid to ask, as the only U.S. site also sells crinklez.

I really don't get why Abena is dropping their plastic diapers. I have loved them for so long, and it seems a lot of other abdls do too. Anyhow, thanks for any advice!

I've never understood this trend of diaper companies doing this sort of thing when clearly the market doesn't want it. Doesn't ever make any sense to me. I also am in search of a replacement. I'm personally leaning towards ABU Simples, but obviously that's not going to work for you.

The 24/7 is a good diaper, it'll definitely function as an adequate replacement, the only reason I don't like them is I find the harder plastic to dig into my legs more which ends up being uncomfortable. The Northshores I wasn't as impressed with, personally, but YMMV.

BetterDry

Mauxx said:
I've never understood this trend of diaper companies doing this sort of thing when clearly the market doesn't want it. Doesn't ever make any sense to me. I also am in search of a replacement. I'm personally leaning towards ABU Simples, but obviously that's not going to work for you. .

Their primary market is institutions and they take the feedback from caregivers. Caregivers, while well intentioned don't know shit because they're not the end user of the product. They think of breathability and skin health. They don't care about the fact that "breathable" diapers allow the stink of urine to "breath" right through the diaper, and since they don't wear them they don't understand how the cloth style briefs stretch during normal activity.

On all the forums I've been on for IC issues, I've seen maybe 1% of the people express that they prefer cloth style diapers. It absolutely sucks that manufacturers ignore the end user.

I've written to a few companies trying to explain this but they never even write back.

Have you heard anything definite. The Abri-form plastic phase out has been rumored for a while but I'd not seen anything official lately.

XP also makes their A+ replacement for this that they started the first time Abena said they were going to discontinue this.

The other plastic ones I know of are the Tranquility ATN which I'm not overly fond of and the Wellness Briefs.

There are some thinner plastic ones still out there, too.

ABU's space/paws/simple line is very close in fit (and better in quality and capacity) to an xplus/4. They're more expensive of course, but the Simples can be had a bit cheaper than the other two. (they also look less ABDL in case you're concerned about being seen)

Yeah the rumors on this have been circulating for years, the PE backed is not longer a mainline product, just hope there is sufficient demand to keep the limited production/supply in place into the future.

Aleakyboomboom

I hope they never go to cloth backed. I tried north shore and was not fond of the stiffness of them.

You could try wellness

Well I hope this is not true, most of the Bena diapers with the exception of M4 and L4 have Dawn cloth like and that was years ago. I have not heard anything recently about them phasing out the last two lines of their plastic backed diapers but this would certainly not be good as M4's are my go to every day diaper, I hate the trend in this industry also because plastic backed work a lot better for me. But if this was true I guess I would have to switch to dry 24 seven because going with the abdl diapers it's completely unrealistic because they're so expensive. Tranquility ATMs or a lot thinner than I'd like. Unique wellness is great but they're sizing is for crap because with them I am in between sizes, but their superio diaper works fine for me.

I have been 24/7 for 21 years now and I too was I the military. I have been wearing rearz seduction for the last year exclusively. I get 8 to 12 hours out of each brief and have had few leaks. They are super comfy but swell like crazy and can squeeze you a bit sometimes. Also I live in Niagara Falls Ontario. So the rearz warehouse is only two or three hours away and shipping is free for me. They offer several other diapers also. I think I would like to find a cadpat print just for us veterans.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I was using confidry 24/7. They are a good high rise diaper, and are much more abdorbent than even the old abena.

I recently switched to betterdry too. They cost the same per diaper, and fit about the same too, but last longer and absorb even more.

Both are plain white diapers with a simlle wetness indicator. Both come in discreet packaging too.

Betterdry does have the Crinklz "twin" diaper, with the only difference being Crinklz has the ab prints. They also come in discreet shipping though. I buy both for when I'm feeling babyish or not.

Slomo said:
I was using confidry 24/7. They are a good high rise diaper, and are much more abdorbent than even the old abena.

I recently switched to betterdry too. They cost the same per diaper, and fit about the same too, but last longer and absorb even more.

Both are plain white diapers with a simlle wetness indicator. Both come in discreet packaging too.

Betterdry does have the Crinklz "twin" diaper, with the only difference being Crinklz has the ab prints. They also come in discreet shipping though. I buy both for when I'm feeling babyish or not.

I tried to give Dry24/7 another chance last night...I have 4 or 5 of them from a case from last year. Bed was soaked this morning. I just don't get it. It's weird because, on paper, they should be much better than Abena M or L 4, but I only rarely have small leaks with Abean. With Dry 24/7, I consistently end up losing probably 20% or more into my mattress. I wet very heavily at night, and probably very close to even the best diapers' capacity, but only the Confidry diapers leak so badly.

I love the BetterDry diapers, but I'm skeptical about their long term availability. I'd feel so much better if a mainstream US distributor picked them up, like XP or something.

Comfycare.net told me that Thrust Vector was playing games with pricing and may not be carrying them long term. I guess they buy a shipping container at a time and Thrust Vector keeps messing with the price.

They're the only diaper I've ever used that gives me pretty much 100% confidence in all situations.

MassIncon said:
I tried to give Dry24/7 another chance last night...I have 4 or 5 of them from a case from last year. Bed was soaked this morning. I just don't get it. It's weird because, on paper, they should be much better than Abena M or L 4, but I only rarely have small leaks with Abean. With Dry 24/7, I consistently end up losing probably 20% or more into my mattress. I wet very heavily at night, and probably very close to even the best diapers' capacity, but only the Confidry diapers leak so badly.

I love the BetterDry diapers, but I'm skeptical about their long term availability. I'd feel so much better if a mainstream US distributor picked them up, like XP or something.

Comfycare.net told me that Thrust Vector was playing games with pricing and may not be carrying them long term. I guess they buy a shipping container at a time and Thrust Vector keeps messing with the price.

They're the only diaper I've ever used that gives me pretty much 100% confidence in all situations.

Well, if I were to hazard a guess, and this is just from my personal experience, it's probably the wicking. The Dry 24/7 capacity is second to none, but I've noticed the wicking is just a little slower than the Abena. My urinary tendencies are wildly inconsistent, but I have noticed that on the occasion I have a very fast/heavy void the 24/7 can kind of get a bit overwhelmed. A couple of years ago I started sleeping with an AbriLet Maxi Booster(or occasionally a converted baby diaper if I'm running low) every night and that prettymuch took care of it, but yeah, that is a thing I noticed.

OP here again. I just recieved and tested 24\7 and northshore mediums. The 24\7 fit much better, and just felt more secure with the waistband and higher rise. Also, the 24\7 held 5.3 lbs of pee vs 3.1 lbs for the northshore. Also, I woke up this morning with a totally saturated northshore, and a wet bed. The 24\7 holds throughout the night. So I guess that is my answer. I ruled out betterdry because it is too new and dont know how long it will be around.

MarcusP said:
OP here again. I just recieved and tested 24\7 and northshore mediums. The 24\7 fit much better, and just felt more secure with the waistband and higher rise. Also, the 24\7 held 5.3 lbs of pee vs 3.1 lbs for the northshore. Also, I woke up this morning with a totally saturated northshore, and a wet bed. The 24\7 holds throughout the night. So I guess that is my answer. I ruled out betterdry because it is too new and dont know how long it will be around.
Glad to hear it's working out for you man, here's to many dry beds in the future, ^__^

MassIncon said:
I tried to give Dry24/7 another chance last night...I have 4 or 5 of them from a case from last year. Bed was soaked this morning

You're just going to have to lower your intake before bed or go with thicker diapers. I would rate 247 as 'high capacity' only in the "medical diapers' category. Try a case of ABU Simple those rate "medium/high capacity" in the "abdl diaper" category, which is significantly better.

Has anyone tried Abena’s level 4 cloth backed? For nighttime, I’m wondering if the cloth backed with a snug plastic pant (which I currently wear) would have similar functionality, fit and sensation as the M4?

The cloth like abena tend to stretch.

INCONTAL said:
The cloth like abena tend to stretch.

With movement and all I can see where stretching would be an issue during the day. But at night with a plastic pant, would it still be a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back