Questions on possible IBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neet

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
For the past 4 years I've been following my gluten free diet very vigilantly so that my celiac disease doesn't make my life any harder than it has to. But as of the past few months it seems that something else is up with my stomach. I've narrowed my symptoms down to IBS, and I've got a doctors appointment lined up at the end of this month.

It seems that any time my anxiety begins to act up, along with eating red meats and dairy, I begin cramping and having frequent bm's after. While it might just be the DL in me talking, I've been thinking that wearing diapers could possibly help me out quite a bit. I've had issues with some bowel leakage, enough to warrant a change of clothes, and some close calls with urgent bm's (sorry if that's TMI). And I imagine wearing diapers could offer some piece of mind to calm my anxiety. Is this common practice for some? Do many of you do this to manage IBS? While I'm still uncertain what the underlying cause is, would any of you recommend this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anxiety in itself is a major trigger for IBS. If wearing a diaper helps to calm you down, then that alone would be a good enough reason. Add in they can actually save you from an unexpected bm, then that's another good reason to wear them.

Just because you like weating a diaper doesn't diminish your need for them. That would be like saying it's a guilty pleasure wearing shoes just because you like shoes.

Agreed with Slomo.

Win-win in my opinion but you'll likely be changing very very often depending on the type of IBS you have. Haven't done it yet because of the anxiety of being caught, but I've considered doing the same since twice now at work I was hit by a sudden extremely urgent need to use the restroom but being unable to stop what I was doing.

I also suspect having IBS but don't have health insurance nor can afford medical care so I'm sort of on my own. It's triggered by different things for different people but what personally triggers mine is stress, anxiety, and a change in diet / frequency of eating. Excessive sugar and sodium seems to be a trigger in my case. I don't know of any medications that have helped with the discomfort as of yet so if anyone has any suggestions please I'd love to know. Pepto and ibuprofen hasn't done a thing. Eating a more rounded diet, trying to keep calm, and getting plenty of rest is my way of dealing with it; perhaps it can help you too?

Thanks for the replies!
One of my accidents was at work sadly enough. I work in a grocery store so once I'm on register, I'll probably be stuck on there for a while. But I'll definitely wait till my appointment before I buy any diapers.

Meats and dairy can definetly hit ibs-d hard.

@Marka, amazing post! Not sure how to endorse/like a reply, but I appreciate your comment! I had a scare today so I'll be heading to my local pharmacy tomorrow.

Another question to add to this, they have a few attends styles (wasteband style for example) and Tranquility ATN's would those be good for BM protection?

The leg guards on the ATN's aren't as high as most AB/DL diapers but I'd say they'd be enough for most emergency diaper messing situations. In saying that I wouldn't be in a hurry to sit down in it or anything unless it's a firm/ish load but a diarrhea messing is gonna be bad news in almost any diaper if you have to sit down if it's a big one.

When my IBD was at its worst before I had surgery I had no chance of leaving the house without a nappy on. I had nearly daily accidents resulting in me completely emptying my severely ulcerated colon into my nappies. I never leaked once thanks to the quality of the old style Attends.
Wanting to wear nappies can be fun, needing to was not.

IBS is caused gluten intolerance

One thing I don't think I have heard mentioned is lactose intolerance I don't have this but apparently it can cause really bad accidents in people who consume quite a bit of dairy. As for me recently I have been put on Metformin for early diabetes and I am now dealing with being a bit more gassy and more potential for bowel accidents. I also work at a grocery store at a register in the front end but as a bagger, I wear diapers every day for urinary Ic but now with the potential to have the other kind of accident I am starting to look into wearing tranquility ATN diapers. I am also recently changing how I eat to combat my early diabetes also, low-carb high-fat more fiber in my diet also in combination with metformin could lead to a few more possible messy accidents. Although luckily for me I have not had any accidents like this out in public or at work except for being wet. Like others have said it's about how much you eat and timing and stuff like that and I'm noticing it's like that with the drugs and with what I eat and how that affects me. So it looks as though I will have to find a decently absorbent diaper for my urinary issues but fin enough that can deal with a potential bowel accident. Right now my go to diaper on a daily basis is the Bena M4 but I feel as though it's kind of a waste of a diaper if I have a power accident in that before I'm wet so if you and her diaper is more of a necessity going forward I've heard that depends are back using plastic again but I have not found any yet, the tranquility ATMs that I have tried medium being slightly smaller than I would like in large being too large I have not found a thinner plastic that diaper that suits my needs. It seems like tranquility is definitely a step up from depends absorbency wise but with that it seems like I'm in between sizes, similar to what I have found with unique wellness. Has anyone else had experience with taking metformin and its side effects? Well here's hoping that I find a decent enough thinner diaper for my current needs and also to not having any bowel accidents in public as they suck really bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back