Bedwetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnifex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am wondering if bedwetting is considered to be a form of incontinence since it is called nocturnal enuresis

Bedwetting that occurs when the person is asleep is definitely a form of incontinence.

Agreed bedwetting is definitely incontinence, it can also lead to day time issues as well in some cases depending on the underlying cause.

My medical notes state I am enuretic and incontinent so obviously some of the medical profession see bedweting as a separate issue.

Actually AOB can come, like in my case, from neurological reasons, and is in this case a brain-bladder communication problem. Even the urge IC, that I also have, is a lack of sensitivity, so also a brain issue, so I guess we need to look at another differentiator between IC and bed wetting,

Mine is due to diabetic related nerve problems.

Mine is due to "OAB". My IC started with bedwetting and progressed to intense daytime urgency and eventually uncontrollably daytime flood accidents where my bladder just spasms and contracts so hard it's not possible to hold it back.

I consider any involuntary loss of urine to be incontinence. So I'd say that for someone who only wets at night when asleep then yes, that is a form on incontinence.

MassIncon said:
Mine is due to "OAB". My IC started with bedwetting and progressed to intense daytime urgency and eventually uncontrollably daytime flood accidents where my bladder just spasms and contracts so hard it's not possible to hold it back.

I consider any involuntary loss of urine to be incontinence. So I'd say that for someone who only wets at night when asleep then yes, that is a form on incontinence.
Mine started the same way, though slightly different, since I first experienced small spurts of urine in my trousers, slowly that progressed to stronger urgencies and hence really wet pants as a result. Bedwetting came later, could be because my subconcious is accustomed to me wearing protection I don't really know, fact is I wake up wet

Sendt fra min BTV-W09 med Tapatalk

NotTheAversgeMan if you have Spasms during the day then you have them at night as well like I do. I would assume this is not bedwetting but 24 hours OAB. Do you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, bedwetting is incontinence, but don't worry. It's not such a big deal as everyone thinks it is. I've a lot of conversations with my father now after I have learned that he is IT and he just learnt how to live with, he learnt how to deal with it and it's not such a big problem for him anymore. Life is still full of surprises and great things that can be achieved by you. I know I may be going too much into motivational speech, but as I pretty much know what you are going through I just say that in case you was feeling saddened or depressed. It's not a reason to feel depressed at all! Don't feel embarrassed by other people knowing about it, why should they care in the first place? And if they laugh at you, it's not your fault, it's theirs for being ignorant. Keep well.

Bedwetting is not worth stressing over. It just is not a big deal. I wet the bed so what.

Enuresis is the medical term for (urinary) incontinence. Nocturnal Enuresis = Night-time incontinence. Diurnal Enuresis = Daytime incontinence. Therefore bedwetting (nocturnal enuresis) is incontinence in exactly the same way as diurnal enuresis is. It makes absolutely no difference whether one is asleep or awake, it is still incontinence. Having said that, it is not incontinence if one deliberately urinates, day or night.

ST50 said:
Bedwetting is not worth stressing over. It just is not a big deal. I wet the bed so what.

I agree. It's the least of my concerns now. I wear a good diaper to bed and it's a non issue.

When it started though it was hard to deal with. It fell into perspective though when I started wetting my pants uncontrollably all the time. Even that, full urinary IC isn't the end of the world. We humans can adapt to anything. Wearing diapers in my 30s wasn't something I ever expected to be the norm for me, but now that it is, it really isn't the end of the world.

It was certainly my experience that it is considered to be incontinence.

MassIncon said:
I agree. It's the least of my concerns now. I wear a good diaper to bed and it's a non issue.

When it started though it was hard to deal with. It fell into perspective though when I started wetting my pants uncontrollably all the time. Even that, full urinary IC isn't the end of the world. We humans can adapt to anything. Wearing diapers in my 30s wasn't something I ever expected to be the norm for me, but now that it is, it really isn't the end of the world.
You have the right attitude.

MassIncon, I fully agree that incontinence is not the end of the world. I'm 75 years old and have been dealing with bladder-control issues since I was 14. I've managed to live a very nearly normal personal and professional life despite incontinence. I simply had to be well organized and consistent in my management of the issue.

ST50 said:
My medical notes state I am enuretic and incontinent so obviously some of the medical profession see bedweting as a separate issue.

Bedwetting is just the result of nocturnal enuresis if your diaper leaks or if you don't wear a diaper to bed.

So if you still wet the bed at night but only 1 - 3 times per year are you still "incontinent"? I do not wet the bed since I wear training underwear and PUL underpants. It holds everything in so no wet sheets / pajamas (when I wear them but not often). The amount that escapes also never over whelms my training underwear / plastic underpants. I would tell folks I still have some nighttime accidents about 1 - 3 times per year and that is why I wear protection. Maybe most adults still have this several times per year wetting but just decide to not wear protection due to stigma and just change their sheets when it happens?

JOCKMAN said:
So if you still wet the bed at night but only 1 - 3 times per year are you still "incontinent"? I do not wet the bed since I wear training underwear and PUL underpants. It holds everything in so no wet sheets / pajamas (when I wear them but not often). The amount that escapes also never over whelms my training underwear / plastic underpants. I would tell folks I still have some nighttime accidents about 1 - 3 times per year and that is why I wear protection. Maybe most adults still have this several times per year wetting but just decide to not wear protection due to stigma and just change their sheets when it happens?

I guess I'd call that occasional bouts of incontinence. I don't think that would compel me to wear diapers all the time or even every night. I'd certainly use a mattress protector but I do anyway because even if I'm not wearing 24/7, it's just better to know that rare diapered leak won't mean anything more than needing to do laundry.

Despite liking diapers, I don't have accidents, awake or asleep. My dad had a random bedwetting incident years ago. He immediately added pad just in case but it hasn't recurred. I think I'd have heard about other bedwetting, so it seems rare to non-existent in my family.

I have a plastic mattress protector but mostly because that is what I had when I was growing up until age 11 and I enjoy this memory / security. Wearing at night is 99% of the time for the security / comfort I have of my training underwear and PULs. However, on one of my recent travels I woke up about 2:45 AM and was a bit damp in the front section of my training underwear. Due to exact location and a very slight odor, I knew it was not sweat. So I was glad I wore protection for even this one time (that happens about up to 3 times per year).

Unfortunately I had only brought one pair of trainers so changing out into regular underwear and then keeping on my plastic underpants could have been a possible leak nightmare waiting to happen if I had another small accident a few hours later. As I have done in the past, I just let go for the remainder until I felt the sensation of having to use the bathroom subside. I typically do this standing up next to the bed and the typical "puddle" forms in my crotch area. Since the back of my training underwear was still dry I just laid back down and within a minute or two I was soaked in the back and front but the puddle was completely gone. I then am able to sleep quite well until 6 AM when I get up to get ready for work. The reassurance of this protection is my foundation for wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back