Something I do not understand about landing strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
So, with XPMedical's website being down when I acquire my monthly shipment of diapers, I decided to go with ABU this month, thinking that I enjoyed the Space last time I had them so they would be a good bet for the remainder of this month. I got some of the Preschools and some of the Simples. The Simple fits fine, as good as the Space.

But the Preschool. The Preschool hit me with a problem I haven't had since I tried Bambino. And it has been the bane of my existence for using any ABDL diaper, because they're all in love with them. The Landing Strip. I hate landing strips, I don't understand what use they really are, and they specifically screw me over when they're done like this. They advertise as XL size, they advertise as being bigger than the usual Abenas I use, but it's a lie. Sure, the wings go out longer, but for some god awful reason that I do not understand, the landing strip is the same size as the medium. Why even advertise a larger size, if your landing strip is the same size? It just leads to me being disappointed and angry when I get them.

Here is a picture of the Preschool with another diaper that I actually enjoyed with a landing strip, the Tykables.

size comparison.jpg

Note how much father out the Tykables goes. That Tykables fit like a dream, but the ABU, despite being basically the same size diaper, doesn't fit me barely at all. For whatever reason, their landing strip cuts off way earlier than it should. And it makes a liar out of ABU, and their products unusable for me. And sadly Tykables hasn't had stock in a while now, :/

the real truth about landing strips is that they make it easy to create a panel that you stick and restick to without tearing the plastic. In the old days, you would engineer the backing and tapes so they worked together and allowed replacement without tearing. But that's too hard to do now so... you get a landing strip. Pampers figured out how to do that way back in the 80's and most of the attends worked well too. Of course once attends was sold, the first thing they did was do away with that system. now attends tapes stick hard and you have to tear them off. I guess what I'm saying is that it is cheaper to do it with a taping panel. I hate them because they make the diaper too stiff in the waistline.

That's right. The tapes stick too hard to the shell of the diaper, so they add a harder permanent wide tape across the front for sticking them on to. This is the tape landing strip zone.

My biggest problem with this isn't the landing zone itself, it's the fact this zone forces the lower leg band tapes to be moved up towards the middle of the back panel. This "no lower tapes" design means it's impossible to get a snug fit around the legs. And that means premature leaks well before reaching any kind of actual capacity.

Of course you can get around this problem by wearing one size too small, but then that leads to a slew of other problems I'd rather not have to deal with. So, I just don't use brands which need a landing zone at all. To me they make the diaper nearly useless.

Take off is voluntary..landing is mandatory..hehe

ABU needs to start putting those stretch tabs on their SDK line I'm sure it would boost sales.

ArchtopK said:
the real truth about landing strips is that they make it easy to create a panel that you stick and restick to without tearing the plastic. In the old days, you would engineer the backing and tapes so they worked together and allowed replacement without tearing. But that's too hard to do now so... you get a landing strip. Pampers figured out how to do that way back in the 80's and most of the attends worked well too. Of course once attends was sold, the first thing they did was do away with that system. now attends tapes stick hard and you have to tear them off. I guess what I'm saying is that it is cheaper to do it with a taping panel. I hate them because they make the diaper too stiff in the waistline.

That makes a lot of sense. Too much sense really, heh. #StillNothingTopsAbena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back