Two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BracedDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
1. What is the easiest fold/way to use a flat cloth nappy? I tried a few but couldn't get it tight

2. I had a dream about putting in a Cath. It was (part of a 'need to go' dream) I've never dreamt about it or done it. What is it like? Can it do harm to try it?

Justo said:
1. What is the easiest fold/way to use a flat cloth nappy? I tried a few but couldn't get it tight

2. I had a dream about putting in a Cath. It was (part of a 'need to go' dream) I've never dreamt about it or done it. What is it like? Can it do harm to try it?

1. Probably the butterfly fold. Just twist the diaper in the middle to create an hour glass shape, then pin it on. It's not the most comfortable fold though, so do an image search online for cloth diaper folds to see other methods.

2. (thousands?) Of people self cath every day, so it isn't as big of a deal as it's made out to be. You need to stay as clean as you can with inserting it, as this is the most likely time to induce an infection. You can buy them online, either intermittent (single short use), or folley (has a balloon you inflate with water to keep it in long term).

Cor some it can be somewhat painful inserting it, even with plenty of lidocane lubricant. For most is burns a little inserting it, but the burning goes away within an hour. Once in, you have no need or feeling of peeing, and will constantly drip pee no matter what.

Most prefer to connect the catheter to a leg or belly bag, which keeps it a closed system and less likely to get an infection. However, with a constant drip always flushing the catheter out (by staying well hydrated), you can also just let the catheter drain right into a diaper. IF you are prone to infections anyways though, this is not recommended.

Not needing to ever pee is a very freeing sensation, as is being pleasantly surprised to find you diaper is wet with no recollection of having gone. You never wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee either, though you may wake up to a very soaked diaper and bed.

I self inserted a foley last summer. I almost chickened out about halfway through but did it. After a few hours I decided I wasn't having any real fun doing this so I took it out.

I can't comment on cloth diapers as I've never had any success with them. But I use catheters daily. So here goes.

Provided you use actual proper catheters (and not some random tube you found in a hardware store), and you take care with hygeine, they are safe to use.

First of all, you'll want to use intermittent (straight) catheters, not a foley. For a foley, you'll need one-to-one training with a medical professional otherwise you risk rupturing your urethra from incorrect use of the balloon. Start with a size 12 or 14 (10s are very thin and floppy and it makes insertion more difficult. A catheter that's too thick will just hurt).

Wash your hands first. Then wipe the urethral opening with an antibacterial wipe. Just once.

Lube won't usually be necessary; most of them are already lubed in the packet or they are made of a hydrophilic substance that acts as though it's lubed.

I don't know if you're male or female, but if you're male they are somewhat easier to insert, because it's much easier to find the urethral opening. If you're female you may want to use a small mirror so you can see what you're doing (though with practise you won't need it). They are not painful (though it might feel weird and uncomfortable to begin with, more so if it's cold).

When inserting, do not touch any part of the catheter that will go inside you. Some catheters come in a packet that's designed to let you hold it as you insert it. Some have a plastic sleeve around them. Those that don't - you just have to be super-careful.

Hold the funnel over the toilet or a bowl etc. When the flow stops, push the catheter in about 1cm/quarter-inch more, then pull out slowly, this will ensure the bladder is fully emptied. Pulling out is slightly less comfortable than going in, but it's still not painful.

Intermittent catheters should be used only once then disposed of (don't flush them).

It's not possible to attach a collection bag to an intermittent catheter; the weight of the bag will just pull the catheter out. You can (though it's not recommended) leave one in and have it drain into a diaper. However, it will work itself out if you are active and moving about. Bear in mind that the longer you leave it in, the greater the risk of infection AND the more pain when you pull it out.

Thanks for the detailed information downtide. I don't have incontinence or need one, just wondering what it's like. No idea why it came up in a dream, normally it's just looking for a toilet.

I've ordered a few samples of different types, hopefully I don't need to call and chat to them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm male btw

Apparently I can't order one without speaking to a continence nurse or urologist

For me the idea of any tube going up there freaks me out so much. I will never see how anyone does it. Last time I had surgery I requested a diaper because I hate catheters so much!

That's what I thought till I had that weird dream m

Justo said:
Apparently I can't order one without speaking to a continence nurse or urologist

Both catheters and diapers can be easily ordered through online companies. You do not need a prescription, nor do you need to talk to anyone.

Not sure why you think you need to, unless you're trying to order them through your health care provider.

I bought my foleys and the installation trays online. Some places want a prescription, but most don't care.

plus its easier and safer way to make you inco

I personally would rather wear diapers than use a catheter. BTW, Be careful of UTI's when using catheters.

Slomo said:
Both catheters and diapers can be easily ordered through online companies. You do not need a prescription, nor do you need to talk to anyone.

Not sure why you think you need to, unless you're trying to order them through your health care provider.

I contacted a website for samples and they said I need to speak to a CN or urologist to get the right cath.

Justo said:
I contacted a website for samples and they said I need to speak to a CN or urologist to get the right cath.

Skip samples. Most everyone is going to be absolutely fine with a 12 fr (french) size. It's on the smaller end of sizes, and is the most common for a reason. The other sizes are more of a comfort factor.

As mentioned before, for just a once and go then dispose type of situation you will want intermittent catheters. For intending to have it in anything longer than a couple of minutes, you will need folley type catheters. A 5cc balloon filled with 2-3cc is more than enough to keep it in comfortably.

Slomo said:
Skip samples. Most everyone is going to be absolutely fine with a 12 fr (french) size. It's on the smaller end of sizes, and is the most common for a reason. The other sizes are more of a comfort factor.

As mentioned before, for just a once and go then dispose type of situation you will want intermittent catheters. For intending to have it in anything longer than a couple of minutes, you will need folley type catheters. A 5cc balloon filled with 2-3cc is more than enough to keep it in comfortably.

I've heard you need proper training for a Foley, I'll be trying a intermittent Cath for now. I thought samples would be a good free way to try a few.

Justo said:
I've heard you need proper training for a Foley, I'll be trying a intermittent Cath for now. I thought samples would be a good free way to try a few.

Nope. Inserting a folley or intermittent catheter is done the exact same way (hopefully clean and inserted completely). The only difference is with a folley you then inflate a balloon (holefully not while it is still in your urethra).

And an intermittent catheter is not going to give you the experience of being incontinent. This is because they are only in for a minute before being taken out again. You will pee longer and more than that when sitting on the toilet with a bowell movement. And you don't want to try and leave and intermittent cath in either. It will migrate out, and that will complicate things.

However, for someone new to catheters, training on proper and clean insertion technique is warranted regardless of the type used. The insertion itself (for any catheter) is where you have the highest risk for problems and infections. Unfortunately I recognize this isn't likely for you since you don't truly need them in the first place. So yeah, youtube is probably the next best place for that.

Since you did express interest in catheters to simulate incontinence, this means you will need a folley. Just make sure you buy a full insertion kit along with the catheter(s). This will need to include a syringe and sterile water, on top of the tray, gloves, and lubricant.

I don't want to experience incontinence just using a cath to see what it's like.

Justo said:
I don't want to experience incontinence just using a cath to see what it's like.

Ah, I see. Well catheters on their own are no joy. They require being really clean with inserting them, and at best will burn a little too. At worst they can be always a little painful, or cause a little bleeding too. Or at least that's my experience.

If you're prone to infections, catheters are a good way to get one too. The only real reason to use one is for the effect of uncontrolled or temporary and immediate peeing they give. Though I have heard of some who get aroused by having one inserted, that has not ever been my case.

OK, I'll elaborate since this has gone on. Yes, I thought about intermittent catheters. I answered one of those ubiquitous free sample ads but you have to realize, that they are in the business of bilking insurance and/or medicare rather than really caring about the customers. These are the ones that are going to absolutely insist on your prescription first.

As stated, you don't have to dig far onto medical supplies websites before you'll find someone who will sell you one outright. Won't run more than a few dollars (you'll probably pay more in shipping than the catheter).

Anyhow, why did I do it? I was getting into a bit of a fantasy. I write a lot of stories about diapers. I had gotten to a point where a couple of high school students had to wear just a diaper all day at school. Someone asked how it could get worse for the pair so I thought about a catheter. After a while the whole idea got me curious. I did a lot of research and watched a lot of youtube videos on catheter insertion.

Anyhow, I ordered up my cath, a leg bag, and some tubing. I also ordered an insertion tray. After reviewing my training I took a shower and got everything nice and clean. I laid out everyhting on an underpad on the bed and set to work. I used the swab sticks to clean the tip of the penis. Then I put on the sterile gloves, lubed up the catheter and set to insert it. Took a few seconds to get up the nerve and then I started. At first it was no big thing but after getting a few inches in I began to chicken out, but I kept at it. A few seconds later and I was rewarded with a run of gold fluid down the catheter. I inflated the balloon, attached the leg bag and set about to experience it.

My intent was to spend the better part of the day with it in but after an hour I decided that I wasn't really having any fun, so I went back and deflated the balloon and removed it.

Of course, if you're going to do this, make sure you follow all the precautions that you can learn online. Be prepared to seek medical attention (and fess up to your escapades) if something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back