What is the least expensive diaper you would still consider "good"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K622

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Hello everyone,

Looking to build up my stash of diapers. Would love to get some Rearz Safari but I simply can't afford to get a decent amount of them. This got me wondering. What is the cheapest diaper you would consider to be decent? I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just something that will work. Ideally looking for something well under $2 each including US shipping. Thanks everyone!

Tranquility ATN, or Abena M4 if you can get Plastic Backed. ABU Preschools are good, but only quantifiably cheap if you get them in bulk.

I'm not sure about the absolute cheapest, but on Amazon right now you can get a case of Norhtshore Supremes shipped to you for $82.99 (that's $1.38 per diaper total cost), and they're close to as absorbent as you're gonna get, for any price. They are all white, so if you want to dress them up you could get some of that patterned tape and still keep it well below $1.50 each :)

I think the wellness superio are really good and cheap unfortunately no longer available in Australia but if you can find them I think worth it. Tena Slip maxis also good but the new version not quite as good sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NorthShore supreme (available either plastic or cloth backed) are very good for the money.

ABU diapers are under the $2 per piece when bought in a case.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don't look at it as price per diaper, look at it as price per day.

Cheaper diapers need to be changed more often, which drives up their cost. In many cases, a more expendive premium diaper will last 2, 3 or even 4 times as long, thereby lowering their individual/overall cost in comparison. Lower and cheaper than even cheap diapers too.

Try betterdry for example. They break down to $1.60 each, and will last 16+ hours. Compare that to say ATN which costs about $1.00 each but only lasts 2-3 hours each. Multiply that by about 6 changes for the same 16 hours and you'll spend $6.00. Compared to $1.60 for just that one betterdry diaper.

So if you want a cheap diaper, go premium.

There's not going to be any agreement on "good". Lat year I spent some time trying to find a replacement for my daily wear - something that was inexpensive but checked a few boxes. Plastic shell, four tapes, good standing leak guards. I ended up going with TotalDry Plus. They've got issues, but for under a buck a diaper, they're a good deal. (I wear preschool plastic now though, more expensive but hey I'm worth it ;) )

Looking at all the options suggested, Totaldry Plus seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Attends Poly Briefs are an inexpensive and decent diaper. Nothing compared to a high end diaper but for getting the job done when needed, they aren't bad.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

K622 said:
Looking at all the options suggested, Totaldry Plus seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Well I guess that depends on if you'll be using them 24/7 or not. Totaldry "might" last up to 6 hours if you're well hydrated, probably not though. Even confidry will last 8+, which closer on average you'd end up changing, paying for, almost twice as much.

On the other hand, if you only intend to wear for a few hours at a time, then confidry would be a waste. It's all a balance of needs and performance.

My only other suggestion to you, would be don't buy more than a single bag at first. IF they turn out to not work for you after all, you'll be upset for having bought a whole case.

Generally I don't wear the same diaper for more than 4 hours at a time during the day. Because of this it seems like a waste for me to get a diaper that can last 8+ hours. Your suggestion about buying a small amount at first is a good idea, I will start out with buying a sample before I commit to a whole pack.

The Drylife nappies are great, and very reasonably priced, I get them from Nappies R Us,you can pick them up for £10 for 15, I got 45 nappies for just under £30 if you buy in bulk they get cheaper.
They hold quite a lot, great tapes and plastic backing, for me they are my go to nappy at the moment.

First, do not buy any store brand diapers (depends, assurance, etc) because they're all terrible. I use Tena classic briefs that I get from EBay. You can get a case of 100 for $35 for mediums and $45 for large. They can hold about 2 wettings/1 flooding, use velcro tapes, but contain no leak guards. Other Tena products available are about the price you're looking for, just look up tena diapers on eBay and try some products.

Tranquility ATN are decent from my experience for a cheap diaper. I've had some clumping issue with them but their still good for their price.

Of the plastic backed diapers I have tried, I would say that the Tranquaility ATNs are my "budget premium" diaper.

I wear the Depend protection with tabs (plastic) when I have no intention of wetting, the ATN when I want something thicker and think i may wet it during the day, and the M4 when I intend to wear all day and wet it too.

I think of Goodnites as my good inexpensive diaper pants.

Last edited:
zaps said:
Of the plastic backed diapers I have tried, I would say that the Tranquaility ATNs are my "budget premium" diaper.

I wear the Depend protection with tabs (plastic) when I have no intention of wetting, the ATN when I want something thicker and think i may wet it during the day, and the M4 when I intend to wear all day and wet it too.

Why is that? You know ATN is far more expensive than a good premium diaper. Right?

Slomo said:
Why is that? You know ATN is far more expensive than a good premium diaper. Right?

Which good premium diapers are you talking about? We usually use Tranquility ATN as a 24/7 diaper, because they cost roughly 70 cents each. The cheapest Bambinos, ABU's, etc... are going to cost you upwards of $1 each. I usually let my baby girl use Bambinos at night, but we use Tranquility ATN's to cut down on cost. They also perform well for the price.

DaddyVincent said:
Which good premium diapers are you talking about? We usually use Tranquility ATN as a 24/7 diaper, because they cost roughly 70 cents each. The cheapest Bambinos, ABU's, etc... are going to cost you upwards of $1 each. I usually let my baby girl use Bambinos at night, but we use Tranquility ATN's to cut down on cost. They also perform well for the price.

And yet ATN diapers need to be changed a maximum of every three hours. So in just 9 hours you've spent $2.10.

Confidry, Northshore, and Betterdry are all similarly priced around $1.60 each, and will last about that same 9 hours with just the one diaper.

Ergo, you spend less with a premium diaper than you do with ATN. (*assuming you stay similarly well hydrated with any of these diapers of course).

Like I've said many times now. Quit looking at it as a price per diaper, look at it as a cost per day. You'll be surprised how much money you waste when you don't. (As well as nedlessly change more often, and get more leaks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back