Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello everyone it has been a while
A lot has happened the last month or so
So around last month my appendix ruptured and I honestly thought it wasn't a big deal
But as usual things went to shit and even though I went to the hospital as fast as possible and went into surgery allowing very little time for it to get worse I went into septic shock for the second time in my life
Every time I think about it the only words which come to my mind are life totally screwed me over
The sepsis caused my blood flow to reduce and my upper extremities were getting no blood and I lost both my arms above the elbow
After around 20 plus surgeries multiple skin grafts I was barely awake to receive the shock of my life

I say all this with a strength but the initial first few weeks was full of me not being able to stop crying and feeling sorry for myself I honestly didn't care if I died right then and there
What was worse was to face my family who were in a worse emotional state than I was though they tried not to show it

Since then its been mostly getting through the pain the skin grafts were painfull beyond anything I have ever gone through my body is scarred everywhere
It was a miracle that I started to be able to walk with my old prosthetics without having to shorten them
A lady from an organization which helps younger amputees reached out to me and shared prosthetic information and agreed to help me as she too has had similar amputations a few years ago

A lot of my college plans were canceled and I hope to transfer to a university close to home as my doctors and physiotherapists are all here like
Because of how short my stumps are I have had to settle for body powered hook prosthetics not pretty at all but they would be the most functional for me
A lot of the bionic prosthetics required more of the stump to be there and remaining muscle for control
Either way I have been focusing on physiotherapy and trying not to go into a bad place mentally
I have been really depressed even before this with the increased incontinence but this has just hit me so hard
I have started walking again with the prosthetics and already started using the hook prosthetics since yesterday

I have been talking to a lot of you about my progress privately but as someone pointed out maybe it would be better to share it so I did
I have been using speech to text mostly and it has been great except using symbols and punctuation is annoying so sorry I avoid those since I might have had to speed hours trying to typed individual stuff
I do have a full time caregiver doing literally everything for me but I'm sure I can take over a small part of it when I become better with the prosthetics

I may not be able to reply to a lot of questions depending on how free I am since I have already started therapy for my arm prosthetics
Things might get a little more busy since I am also trying to start university but not sure of whether I will although it seems to be possible
I probably will have to change my major a little but I can't keep missing semester after semester

Anyway I thank this site for it's users who have virtualy been with me and hopefully I can comeback and get in touch with some of you again

Hi Mia,

I'm glad you are feeling strong enough to post about this to the site. The whole thing sucks, as we've talked about before, but you are the strongest young woman in the world; if anyone can handle this kind of blow, it will be you. I and a whole lot of others are pulling for you.

Kerry

Oh, god... *hugs* I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Suddenly my problems don't seem so bad. o.o;

Incidentally, I've done some work with prosthetics, from an academic perspective -- working on improving the algorithms for the motorized prosthetics that use muscular signals to predict intention. The science / technology still has a long way to go, but sometimes it can surprise you.

I'm sorry that I'm a little short on words but I honestly don't know what to say. I want you to know that I sincerely feel for you. If there is any way that I can help you beyond being another listening ear, please let me know. Take care as best you can.

~S

Hi Mia and yes, like others here, I am so, so very sorry this has happened to you. I know they are making some incredible headway on prosthetic arms and hands that can do a lot of things. All I can suggest is that you take one day at a time so that you don't become overwhelmed. I wish there was something I could do. Hugs.

My thoughts and well wishes go out to you. Hope you bounce back from this stronger than before.

I am so sorry to hear this :( you are a strong person and you can make it through this!

Thank you everyone for all the positive notes
Dealing with reality can be challenging
Maxx your second note to yourself is something I stryggled to keep up just to move on from the depressed stage to actually wanting to do better for yourself

Unfortunately I have come down with a flu but will be back into physiotherapy as soon as I can otherwise I will go crazy if I stay home unable to do anything for myself

Mia:

Like you need the flu on top of everything else. If I had a pipeline to God I'd be giving him a piece of my mind right about now...

It's actually not that bad but I have the same thought
But I probably over did physiotherapy and sort of met the limits of my stamina
I guess I have lost a lot of my strength and stamina after being idle for so long
Will have to slowly build that up

We've been chatting for a while so was aware of your recsent difficulties. it'a tough to get a grip and except your present defecepts. With patience and work you will get better. Between phisotherapymy guess you'll be back in the pool before you realize it. Get a good swim diaper and gor it. And start to read. So many good books to readand you have the time.College is certainly not out of the question for you. Set reasonable goals and go it. Stay strong. We're pulling for you.

Yes my neighbour had it recently too
Hell of a bother though
Everything feels clogged up and the coughing makes it harder to sleep
I swear my voice got deeper
But I feel a lot better so hopefully I won't have to deal with it much longer

There's never been a shortage of inspiration for me I have met a lot of people already who have had similar experiences and a few who are even younger than me who have the same amputations things change a lot emotionally when you spent time with people who deal with the same problems you have
The plumbing situation I guess is not common but not non existent

The moment my replies become less responsive just know I've started with physiotherapy and everything else

I don't mean to sound insensitive, I was wondering how you type with both arms amputated. Are you using prosthetics?

mayhem said:
I don't mean to sound insensitive, I was wondering how you type with both arms amputated. Are you using prosthetics?

She has some bad a$$ prostetics with pointed and shark hooks on them. Jab one of those in the side of a caretaker, and they type for her. Or, talk to text. Either one.

mayhem said:

She uses speak to text programs.

Wow, just wow, I'm so sorry, as bad as life can be sometimes, reading something like this makes you feel how much worse life can be. I can't even fathom going through what you've gone through :(

Wow, I don't even know what to say. I hope you're able to find ways to adjust to your new reality.

Also some stuff I should have said in the last post, you really are one of the strongest people I know, you've always been one of the most upbeat people on the forum and had an encouraging attitude. If life dealt you nothing but good fortune for the rest of your days, it would still not be enough for what you have had to deal with. You have endured a level of suffering very few would be able to handle and barely complained at all which shows your incredible determination, your attitude has shown your beautiful spirit. In less then 20 years you have endured more then some people have their whole life, if anyone can get through this it will be you.

My friend who works for a publishing company recommended this book Life Without Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back