Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I have a certain t-shirt three different people have told me they like. I know it's just a normal human thing, and even I complimented a water-volleyball teammate on her colorful bathing suit yesterday, but... I just don't like getting that kind of attention I guess. I would rather be ignored by the general public for the most part, aside from the ''hello'' I expect from people serving me. (If someone like a cashier doesn't greet me, I actually tend to notice that and think my former boss had some nerve complaining about MY customer-service skills, when I at least tried to be polite.)

I'm like that too. It's part of my personality disorder. I don't wear anything with logos, words, or designs in public to avoid unneeded interactions. I dress as ugly plain as I can manage. But compliments confuse me because of my generally low self esteem. I almost think they are patronizing me or lying.

I sometimes find them awkward just because I don't really know how to respond. I DO wear a number of quite snarky t-shirts and don't mind when people appreciate the humor, but I'm more sensitive about comments on my body or my work, even if they are positive. What I do enjoy are the "unintentional compliments" -- when I voted in the last election, at a local high school, one of the staff asked me -- just out of the blue -- if this was the first Presidential election in which I was voting. Haha, I'm 35. ^^; That really made me smile, and I almost quipped to her that yep, it is, but I've got to get back to class before my hall pass expires. :laugh:

Also, current snarky t-shirt: "We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public." ^.^

I love it. I am a huge extrovert and love attention from friends and strangers alike. Nothing better than a little confidence boost once in a while.

I do like receiving compliments. However, sometimes receiving compliments solicits more attention than I can personally take. This attention can be good or even bad with sometimes insults following the compliments. To summarize, I like receiving compliments that are dead ended, not those that can solicit more attention to myself for potential insults down the line.

I don't dislike compliments, but I'm bad at accepting them XD I blush like mad and get embarrassed, but I thank the person anyway, and try to return the compliment if I can. The other day we were at the pool, and a girl complimented my swimsuit, and I told her I loved her hair (it was this really pretty dusty rose color) then again, I just really like making people feel good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nope, don't want, don't need. I have no tats, no metal, wear no logos and weekly buzz cut my own hair. When out I wear newish blue jeans, a dress shirt and running shoes. Totally nondescript for this anti-socialite.

Kenn said:
Nope, don't want, don't need. I have no tats, no metal, wear no logos and weekly buzz cut my own hair. When out I wear newish blue jeans, a dress shirt and running shoes. Totally nondescript for this anti-socialite.

I'm not as unusual as I thought I was then. You took the (additional) words right out of my mouth.

Tommycombs said:
I'm like that too. It's part of my personality disorder. I don't wear anything with logos, words, or designs in public to avoid unneeded interactions. I dress as ugly plain as I can manage. But compliments confuse me because of my generally low self esteem. I almost think they are patronizing me or lying.

Kenn said:

Well, despite not liking the additional attention, my favorite things to wear is stuff like cartoon character t-shirts. It's what my baby side wants and how I can just be myself.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Well, despite not liking the additional attention, my favorite things to wear is stuff like cartoon character t-shirts. It's what my baby side wants and how I can just be myself.

Same here. I like to wear anime and graphic t-shirts in public, and a lot of people gave very nice compliments especially whenever I wore my Dragon Ball Z T-Shirt.

A thought to consider about receiving compliments: Whether we may like to receive compliments or not, I think the simplest and best answer to a compliment we may receive is "Thank you." It acknowledges the compliment (which I believe is important to do) but it does not necessarily invite further interaction. It may be difficult to say "thank you" if we are embarrassed by compliments, but I invite you to try it; saying "thank you" gets a bit easier as you do it more. Just something to think about...

I'm a professional musician and a performing artist. There's little doubt we spend the hours practicing so we can get the applause, but I too tend to be a little uncomfortable receiving compliments. In my job, it's definitely nice to get complimented and I always say thank you. I think there's an element in my mind that thinks I don't especially deserve it, so I'm a little hesitant to receive the compliment, but it's nice getting them.

diaperbobby said:
A thought to consider about receiving compliments: Whether we may like to receive compliments or not, I think the simplest and best answer to a compliment we may receive is "Thank you." It acknowledges the compliment (which I believe is important to do) but it does not necessarily invite further interaction. It may be difficult to say "thank you" if we are embarrassed by compliments, but I invite you to try it; saying "thank you" gets a bit easier as you do it more. Just something to think about...

I always do at least say ''Thank you''. As someone with poor social skills and understanding, it is a bit of a rule for me to follow, to at least try to act polite. I say it when receiving my change from a cashier and when departing from a doctor or my therapist.

As an introvert I don't dislike all compliments, but I certainly don't like them either. As another poster mentioned, maybe it's that extra attention I don't care for. Most times it just seems to be dead end talk with no actual feedback for why I'm being complimented though.

Interestingly, I half like getting criticism. As long as it's constructive, open, honest, and fact backed that is. This gives me a chance to refine my views and opinions, and actually improve myself too. Though again, when it's dead end criticism filled with "because" or "I feel" kind of reasoning, then I hate that the most.

I'm not huge on them. The one that I hate most is "I'm proud of you" I don't know why, but I've always hated that.

ericlovesdaddies said:
I'm not huge on them. The one that I hate most is "I'm proud of you" I don't know why, but I've always hated that.

Because someone is in essence taking credit for what you are or what you do.

I'm mostly fine with being complimented on what I'm wearing(aside from the fact that I don't want to be complimented for something that really, I had nothing to do with - though with some shirts and designs and stuff, "I like your [whatever]" is a way for people to say, "hey, I'm a fan of [design] too!")

I'm not okay with receiving compliments about my personality or self, though. I have a bit of a fear of egotism and selfishness, and I'm worried that each compliment will go to my head.

For me, it depends on the compliment. When I've received effusive compliments for doing something that seemed like common sense or baseline within my skills, it feels weird. In those situations, sometimes it's disingenuous but more often it's a lack of understanding and I try to be graceful in acceptance.

I like it when people notice I've done something above and beyond, either in terms of skill or thoughtfulness. It's particularly nice if it's someone who knows me or the situation well enough to judge properly.

I've tried to be better at accepting that sometimes something trivial I do means more to someone else. It's a work in progress for me.

I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with compliments. For most compliments, I pretty much just immidietly become this mix of embarrassed and flattered simultaneously. So I guess you could say that I'm embattered. Part of me wants to curl up and slither away so I can just get out of the spotlight and away from this attention, but part of me also really loves it.

no... then again don't get many of them so that could be a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back