Flat cloth diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justo said:
I bought some flanalette flat which I'll (try) and fold into a nappy. Never tried cloth but might be good for the just in case for nighttime rather than wasting disposables. No one knows I'm a DL so I'll have to wash in shower and hang in wardrobe.
Just bearn in mind without a dryer cloth takes a long time to dry, you may want to take them to a laundromat to dry them, because hanging them to dry will require you to have 3 X's more diapers available then you use to allow for proper drying.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
Just bearn in mind without a dryer cloth takes a long time to dry, you may want to take them to a laundromat to dry them, because hanging them to dry will require you to have 3 X's more diapers available then you use to allow for proper drying.

Emphasis on Long Time.

Tetra said:

If I can find a laundromat near me in South Australia, if not I'll use disposables or buy another cloth.

I don't plan on using cloth but it'll need a wash every 3-5 days anyway.

ever tried having a fan blowing on the laundry to speed up drying?

I've got a box fan in my room I will turn on and sit in front of after a shower after I've toweled off. A minute or two of that and I'm ready to get diapered and dressed with nothing sticking to me.

Justo said:
If I can find a laundromat near me in South Australia, if not I'll use disposables or buy another cloth.

I don't plan on using cloth but it'll need a wash every 3-5 days anyway.
Keep in mind that many/most laundromats don't allow washing of diapers. I'm sure people do it all the time, and I've used laundromats to prep brand-new adult cloth diapers, but if you're the type to go by the book...

Generally speaking, I would say that if you don't have access to private laundry facilities, your chances of success with cloth diapers are small.

Oh Lord, how is my lawyer going to get me off on "1st degree nappy washing with special circumstances"

dogboy said:
They're much harder to find in stores now, but the last time I was in Toys R Us, they had both the cloth diapers and plastic pants. But I can remember when you could buy them at your local grocery store or pharmacy. Ah...the good old days, though it was about 15 or 20 years ago.

I used to buy super baby pants at Walgreens untill leg holes got to small I remember the red leg marks.
Sadly I did not know they sold bigger kids ones until way later.
Used baby blankets as flats still do at times

Tetra said:
Oh Lord, how is my lawyer going to get me off on "1st degree nappy washing with special circumstances"

BAM! CONVICTED!!

(Guess who's got laundry duty in diaper-prison?)

I guess the other thing against washing cloth diapers at a laundromat--and, arguably, a more practical consideration than mere rules--would be the weight. A few days worth of wet baby cloth diapers can be quite heavy, especially if you do a wet pail, which is what my wife and I did when our kids were in cloth diapers. A similar number of wet adult cloth diapers would be...quite troublesome. If you're serious about taking adult cloth diapers to a laundromat, what you probably want to do is thoroughly rinse your diapers as soon as you take them off, hang them until they've mostly dried, and then take them to the laundromat. Because they'll dry faster, and also because they're less likely to be recognized as diapers these days, flat cloth diapers are probably the best choice for this kind of routine.

I wear for comfort and just in case,
I've only got one atm i guess i could use disposables and let the cloth air dry in my wardrobe for a few days.

Cottontail said:
Keep in mind that many/most laundromats don't allow washing of diapers.

That's surprising considering we haven't always had disposables. I would expect they'd have at least one machine there specifically FOR that, with recommendations to use hot water etc.

bambinod said:
That's surprising considering we haven't always had disposables. I would expect they'd have at least one machine there specifically FOR that, with recommendations to use hot water etc.
Yeah, I've wondered the same. It may be a more recent restriction. Germophobia is surely at an all-time high with parents these days, what with all the hand sanitizers and disinfectants in play. I don't consider myself a germophobe, and yet I suppose I'd probably avoid using a laundry machine if I knew that somebody else had just washed their child's poopy diapers in it. Of course, when we had babies in cloth diapers, and were washing those diapers in our own washing machine, we were victims of our own filth. Somehow that thought doesn't/didn't bother me as much.

The problem is we also used to have well built machines that could handle cloth diapers no problem. Now even the commercial washers are kind of cheaply made, and just don't hold up to heavy loads like that anymore. Hence why banning washing diapers is a more recent thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back