Diaper Minister Kiddo by ABU Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Announced several months prior with its ABU2 announcements, Adult Baby Universe (ABU) has now released the Kiddo (V2) by ABU in collaboration with Diaper Minister, the French ABDL diaper company that had launched the original Kiddo diaper. The previous version had been a single-tape diaper with a unique print but had not been distributed outside of the EU and was extremely expensive to ship elsewhere. The new version of the Kiddo promises upgrades to bring it up to similar standards as ABU's other single-tape diapers.

The exact degree of difference between the Kiddo and the existing ABU two-tape diapers is a bit difficult to discern from official statements, but at the very least, it adds a back waistband and features the Kiddo print, which is a babyish print with a distinctive style from other products on the market.

I am reviewing the medium size Kiddo as provided in a pack for review in June 2017. The small size is listed as fitting waists of 23"-29", the medium size is listed as fitting waists of 28"-36", the large is listed as fitting waists of 36"-46", and the extra-large is listed as fitting waists of 46"-56".

Appearance, Size, and Features

Similar to other ABU products, the new Kiddo comes in transparent 10-packs with a product panel on one side of the bag. The Kiddo product panel features the image of a fox character wearing the diaper that has been used in most promotional images for the previous Kiddo diaper.

281-11-packfront.JPG

281-12-packside.JPG

Front and Back of Packaging, Respectively

The Kiddo print combines an all-over print of teal dots with central teal flowers and a landing zone that has images of cartoon owls in the center with stars and moons in green and blue. It's a fairly basic print, but one that I find to look convincingly like a modern baby print, which is an area where ABDL companies have often had difficulty. Given that the primary reason to have single tapes on diapers for adults is to better replicate baby diapers, I would expect it to matter more that such diapers have realistic prints, and I feel that the Kiddo print does this particularly well.

281-1-FrontFolded.JPG

281-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 10.3 cm (4.1 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.4 cm (1.3 in). There's a noticeable decrease in dry thickness when compared to my previous measurements of the SDK V2 and Cushies V2, which had been notable for being particularly thick and bulky, suggesting either a substantive difference in how the Kiddo is designed despite similar advertised capacity or a change in ABU single-tape diapers broadly.

281-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

I measured the dry mass of 3 diapers using a kitchen scale, and measured them at 548 g (1.21 lb), for a mass of 183 g (0.40 lb) per diaper.

281-13-DryMass3.JPG

Dry Mass of 3 Diapers Stacked

The Kiddo is a single-tape design using two wide tapes. The tapes have a blue tip without adhesive to pull on and measure 70 cm (2.75 in). ABU recently changed all of their products to use clear tapes instead of their previous white tapes in response to complaints about adhesion; these diapers launched using the new clear tapes.

281-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper is all white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. Due to the teal dotted all-over print, there's a clear color contrast between the inside and outside of the diaper when folded in ways that show both sides. The padding feels dense with a soft and fuzzy cotton texture. The diaper has standing leak guards. It features elastic waistbands in both the front and back. The Kiddo has a plastic-backed cover, with a softer feel and more flexibility to it than that used on other ABU products that I have reviewed.

281-5-outside.JPG

281-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 72.4 cm (28.5 in) in length, 63.0 cm (24.8 in) in width at the wings, 29.3 cm (11.5 in) in width at the center, and 21.0 cm (8.3 in) in width between the leak guards.

281-7-length.JPG

281-8-widthwing.JPG

281-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.

After 500 mL of water, I began feeling the water run down the front quickly when increments were added. At 800 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a puddle. At 1000 mL, the front and bottom of the diaper felt started feeling noticeably wetter against my skin. At 1200 mL, I felt mild wetness at the leg cuffs. At 1300 mL, I could no longer put my legs together. At 1500 mL, the diaper felt like I was sitting in a pool and as if water was being pushed out at the leg cuffs. I noticed a wet spot on my chair and stopped the test.

This result is in line with my prior review of the V2 SDKs/Cushies and supports the advertising claim that the Kiddo matches their capacity.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 10.7 cm (4.2 in), about 3.1x its original size. The tapes easily held throughout this test.

281-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 5 hours before beginning to leak at the leg. During my test, I had 4 or so light to moderate wettings, but did not flood it.

With a 36" waist, I am at the top of the listed size range for the medium Kiddo; ABU lists the top size of its medium diapers at 36" which is lower than most other medium diapers. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. This diaper seemed to fit my size, but single-tape diapers do tend to have a more idiosyncratic fit because the single tapes give less customization than double tapes.

I find single-tape diapers to have a both a looser feeling fit at the legs and a floppy top above the landing zone, but due to the relatively thin profile and the dual elastic waistbands, I found the top to be a lot less floppy than on other single-tape diapers. I came away feeling like the dual waistbands were a worthwhile addition versus ABU's other single-tape diapers. The wide clear tapes held well through all of my testing, never moving a bit through any of it.

The diaper has a typical crinkle, though it seemed softer and was softer when compared to a few other diapers that I had on hand.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received one pack of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https://www.abuniverse.com. They are available in 10, 40, and 80 packs, and available with added scent for an additional charge. Pricing for Kiddo is $34.99/10, $84.99/40, and $142.99/80. Prices include shipping.

At the case size, this works out to $1.78/diaper. This prices them about $0.10/diaper higher than ABU's other single-tape diapers, at a price point higher than non-ABDL diapers and in the lower half of ABDL diapers, more expensive than lower price, lower capacity "daytime" ABDL diapers but cheaper than very high-end, "super-premium" ABDL diapers. They're roughly in line with "premium" capacity non-ABDL diapers and priced typical relative to their tested capacity among ABDL diapers.

Compared to all diapers broadly, this is a solid single-tape diaper with typical capacity for price, a believable baby print, and the full array of premium features. If you like single-tape diapers, there are few options on the market, and ABU already makes most of them; for the most apples-to-apples comparison then, the Kiddo by ABU costs an extra 10 cents versus other ABU single-tape products while adding a front waistband, having a thinner profile, and having its own unique believable modern baby diaper print. I think this print and the extra waistband are appealing additions which make the new Kiddo worthwhile for ABDLs who prefer single-tape ABDL diapers.

Back