Pizza deal breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
What are the things about pizza that if not done right, tick you off?

Mine are:

• When they're miserly with the cheese! Oh, no! Nope, it should be very cheesy.
  • When they don't care about the crust! It should taste good enough to finish, instead of getting thrown away. I've been broke enough to know you don't waste food! For this reason, I like French bread, or very thin, crispy, firm crust, because there's not a lot of, "pizza bones," left, if any.

where to start????
the wrong type or amount of tomato base? i've stopped buying Asda's 'create your own' pizzas (including the ready-made ones :rolleyes:) as they started to put less tom' base on (they never admitted to using smaller ladles, but they looked smaller to me) and if you asked for 'plenty of tom' base', rather than give you the quarter-ladle's-worth that they're now lacking, they'll give you another full ladle, totally ruining the thing and charging you for an extra topping.

so, i moved onto Iceland's cheapo pizzas and added a topping or two as i saw fit; mainly more cheese and, crucialy, garlic butter. but now, i can't get garlic butter. everywhere nearby has just stopped stocking it. and yes, i have complained to all and sundry.
it's doing my fecking head in :wallbash:
i don't want garlic margarine (even though it's more parsley than garlic) and i don't want 'garlic butter' which is actually more parsley butter than it is garlic, i just want garlic butter!!!!! :cursing:
i'd make my own if my arms weren't buggered.

The Jersey boy must weigh in on pizza! Two things I don't like are burnt crust and too much oil. After that, it's stupid toppings. And pineapple pizza! What, are you crazy! (said in a New Jersey accent) Fortunately for me, living in Virginia, there's a real New York style Italian restaurant up the street from where I live and their pizza is awesome. The only added topping I get is mushrooms.

I generally hate frozen pizza. Seriously, no one has ever mistaken DiGiorno for delivery.

Yeah pizza needs to have the right amount of cheese (which is quite a lot) and I agree with the crusts, they need to be done right.

Pepperoni pizza is my favorite

And this will probably start a war but I feel I need to say it...pineapples don't belong on pizza ;)

I love pineapple on pizza. Too much creamy cheese ruins a pizza or when the bas is overly doughy

dogboy, dogboy, dogboy! New Jersey? I hear such good things about Jersey bar pie, or tavern style pizza! I assume you've had some. Do tell. Is it fantastic? Also, MotherFaith, I agree. There needs to be something to help the copious amounts of cheese to adhere to the crust, or else you're like, "Well, it was pizza! The toppings slid off, and now, it's a giant, fancy bloomin' breadstick!"

On the subject of pineapple, well, pork and being Messianic don't get along, so, no Hawaiian, but I like BBQ sauce, mozzarella, chicken, a bit of something like Colby or cheddar, because meat and dairy are fine by me, as long as the meat isn't unclean, and pineapple, but I think we need a new word, because it's just too weird to be called pizza. California style is weird sometimes, but good.

My favorite is spinach white, with proper mushrooms, or a real cheese, with plenty of garlic butter base, or turkey pepperoni.

Starrunner said:
No anchovies, ever! Why would anyone ruin a perfectly good pizza with anchovies?

And why do people support Pizza Pizza? It's not even pizza. It's more like cardboard with a few stale veggies and cheap pepperoni, and hardly any cheese.

I feel you on the cheese. To answer your question, Little Caesar's exists because their wings and cheese bread are good, and because poor people need pizza, too.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I generally hate frozen pizza. Seriously, no one has ever mistaken DiGiorno for delivery.

My friends and I are always saying this kimba!
My brother used to work at a certain chain that promotes $5 ready pizzas and their pizza is the grossest thing ever. I can't even call it pizza lol most chain pizza can't be called pizza really. But I'm a Jersey girl and Jersey is supposedly second in decent pizza to NY. From what I've been told. So I might just be picky and spoiled xD

Yes to what has been said, in most parts.

Pineapple on a Hawaiian, but it is touchy on any other kind.

IF I order vegetables I want vegetables, not two small diced pieces of vegetables.

Yes to meat and cheese grease, but not slimed with butter or oil.

and no diet food i.e. Chicken, artichokes, etc. The only arti-chockes is my Arteries being choked with sausage, peperoni and ham grease.

And while I am on Pepperoni I mean black pepper and meat not slim jims!

So I've had to make pizza before and I sympathize with everyone when they are made wrong. Personally, even if there is a mishap I'll still eat the pizza (unless its a really bad mishap.) Things that bother me but are not reasons I would throw away a pizza:
1) Pizza sauce is too much/little or too close to the edge of the crust.
2) Not enough or too much water in the pizza sauce (really important for handmade pizzas)
3) Too little of my favorite toppings, vise versa, too much of the toppings I don't like.
4) People who skimp on the cheese. I don't have a problem with people who put too much cheese, but you can put too much cheese on a pizza
5) All the toppings slide to one side or slide off all together.

The reasons I would throw away a pizza are as follows:
1) Undercooked dough, or too much dough it doesn't cook right.
2) Person who made pizza was not sanitary.
3) Person does not know how to make pizza sauce or properly space toppings/dress a pizza.
4) Too much corn mill on the bottom of pizza.
5) If pizza is burnt like it just came out of the fires of hell.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note, when I'm making pizza the things that bother me are when:
1) People order gluten free pizza crust but don't have a gluten allergy.
2) when vegetarians or vegans order a pizza and don't check if we have vegan friendly cheese, (which, technically, normal cheese isn't even vegetarian friendly.)
3) When people intentionally ask me to undercook or burn their pizzas.
4) when a family comes in and either divides the pizza into like 8 different sections with 16 topping combinations or orders half of the pizza to be everything and the other half is just cheese (because theirs always that one picky eater.)

Everyone has their perfect pizza, but apart from sanitation and food safety, I wouldn't throw away a pizza. I'd just ask for salad dressing or garlic butter for dipping the pizza bones in. The thick, or too much, dough thing is a food safety issue.

Jazzorau said:
As a side note, when I'm making pizza the things that bother me are when:
1) People order gluten free pizza crust but don't have a gluten allergy.
2) when vegetarians or vegans order a pizza and don't check if we have vegan friendly cheese, (which, technically, normal cheese isn't even vegetarian friendly.)
3) When people intentionally ask me to undercook or burn their pizzas.
4) when a family comes in and either divides the pizza into like 8 different sections with 16 topping combinations or orders half of the pizza to be everything and the other half is just cheese (because theirs always that one picky eater.)

I get you here.

1. Eliminating gluten can really help with weight loss. You don't need to be allergic to be sensitive to it, but, gawd, making that kind of crust is an asspain.

2. There are lacto-vegetarians. They "do," milk. Then there're ovo-lacto-vegetarians. They do eggs and milk. Vegans don't do animal products at all. Still, take responsibility for your own special diets!

3. Well done and burnt are 2 different things, people!

4. That's not a pizza! If you want a patchwork quilt, sew it yourself!

I admit my family has done the half thing but not with every topping. Like putting pepperoni on one half and sausage on the other. seperating it into more than half seems quite a bit ridiculous.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
I get you here.

1. Eliminating gluten can really help with weight loss. You don't need to be allergic to be sensitive to it, but, gawd, making that kind of crust is an asspain.

2. There are lacto-vegetarians. They "do," milk. Then there're ovo-lacto-vegetarians. They do eggs and milk. Vegans don't do animal products at all. Still, take responsibility for your own special diets!

3. Well done and burnt are 2 different things, people!

4. That's not a pizza! If you want a patchwork quilt, sew it yourself!

When I work in restaurants I'll cater to whatever someone asks me to do, so I hope I don't come across as indignant.

And I'm familiar with the different Vegetarian-type diets (i'm a pescetarian) but thank you for elaborating. But my concern is that people don't understand the cheese making process, specifically when they add rennet to make it separate into whey and curds. Rennet comes from a cows stomach and a cow has to die for cheese to be produced. There are plant based synthetic rennets that can be made into vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian and vegan friendly cheeses. Which vegan friendly cheese taste really different (most people call it bad) from regular cheeses because of no animal product what-so-ever.

Actually, one of the better pizzas I made had two sauces and two toppings and they cut it up into fourths. It was good because they didn't go overboard with the toppings but got a nice variety.

As a side note, my Theatre teacher was a vegan (who would cheat by eating pizza (and I think I saw him wear wool once or twice, which i'm not against because sheep need to be sheered so they don't overheat under their wool) however I digress,) and I always try to respect the dietary and taste palettes of other people.

Of course you don't come off as indignant. I was trying to sound goofy and silly and share your misery, because we all know gluten free dough is sticky as heck. And people should pick a balanced fraction, and not go crazy with too many sections. Get another pizza.

I'm not that into pizza. It fills a need if you're desperately hungry. Just expensive cheese-on-toast, innit?

A good combo is ham, mushroom, olives, capsicum, etc., on a stonebaked base made with olive oil. The base is the most important part.

I think I was scarred for life when Pizza Hut started doing garlic crusts, and I saw a guy using a massive aerosol can full of chemicals to spray in the garlic! Bleurgh! Total deal-breaker!

And I really don't like the "fusion pizza", like the Thai curry pizza, or the Chicken balti, or whatever... with curry sauce instead of tomato. Too wrong!

Oh... and I'll never order a seafood pizza again, and have to look at all those weird things with eyes on stalks, and cockles and limpets and god knows what! Pineapple seems tame when you have that to contend with!

Starrunner said:
No anchovies, ever! Why would anyone ruin a perfectly good pizza with anchovies?

And why do people support Pizza Pizza? It's not even pizza. It's more like cardboard with a few stale veggies and cheap pepperoni, and hardly any cheese.

Each person person likes their own type of pizza I tend to love anchovies.
Being a person that has little sense of smell my sense of taste is way off.
I like the taste of salmon too strong also.
I can't stand cardboard crust like pizza ranch.
Alas my favorite cast was Shakey's Pizza which there aren't any anymore as I know of.

foxkits said:
Each person person likes their own type of pizza I tend to love anchovies.
Being a person that has little sense of smell my sense of taste is way off.
I like the taste of salmon too strong also.
I can't stand cardboard crust like pizza ranch.
Alas my favorite cast was Shakey's Pizza which there aren't any anymore as I know of.

I remember going to Shakey's, it was a fun place to go for pizza. I just checked to see if there are any around. They are mostly So-Cal, but there is one in Auburn AL.

The worst is too little cheese, then too few topping. do not want just a few items scattered around. I make my own pizza with home made dough and have layers of toppings. Need to use a large pizza knife to cut it, a little pizza wheel does not work well. Also have a large pizza stone for baking in the oven.

I got to Philly once a year and spend half of my time eating pizza from the mom and papa shops there. I'm a picky eater, but I can't pass up a cheese pizza I come home missing two things. My mom and the pizza I left behind in the fridge. The pie needs to be 1/2 cheese, a 1/4th sauce, and a 1/4th crust. The sauce should be lightly tangy and zesty. The crust flexible so I can bend it and the cheese needs to be all over the place as I pull it from it's place out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back