A sign of the times ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Yesterday the largest university & hospital network in the state has an online and print newsletter on new medical items and procedures as well as consumer directed articles on topics of better living , yesterday the new issue was dedicated to:

Is it time to finally start wearing adult diapers ??

I could only chuckle and think got that onesie and burned it along time ago ,my doctor looked at what I was reading and snarked " items in the article may be closer than they appear"(referencing the warning on car mirrors ).

It's such a controversial topic because Urologist feel like failures when drugs and surgery don't "cure" IC , so i asked does this mean they are going to try and train this out of new doctors and my doctor said "he'll yes" he has always had interns over the years , and frequently was the only voice of "reason" with new trainees ,so he's happy that this will be a normal part of there training breaking down the stigma on prescribing diapers , he has done it with his interns for years introducing scores of diaper wearing patients that are happy and living fulfilling lives who don't feel like there doctor or modern medicine failed them.
So with this becoming a normal formal part of training more future doctors will not be afraid of doing it ,instead of trying risky expensive procedures that usually fail and make the patient miserable longer, admitting to youself and the patient that in many cases modern medicine has nothing to offer better or more effective than a diaper is not failing the patient in anyway .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I wish doctors would get on bored with diapers. I get that a cure should be the first goal, but they need to do a better job understanding that MANY people can't be cured and don't get satisfactory results with meds and/or surgery. Diapers are a very effective management tool, especially with the high quality of diapers available these days. My urologist is all about "getting me out of diapers" but I've already told him that ship has sailed and that I have no interest in enduring any more of his "treatments" unless there's some breakthrough with a 100% success rate with no side effects. Till then I'll just wear a diaper, no be ashamed by it, and live a productive life.

Old style thinking is " Adult dignity at all and any cost " No matter the side effects of drug therapy, No matter the cost of many surgical procedures, no matter the frequent UTI's from catheters. Dignity uber alles.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

There is no money in prescribing diapers and unfortunately many doctors are more interested in that or their "hero/god" complex than the welfare of their patients.

HeronimusM said:
here in Europe they tend to try also with meds, and i'm not going to take it...

My impression is that, in the UK, diapers are seen as much less "medically acceptable" than in the US.

I think doctors here would only consider diapers acceptable for the severely disabled or elderly (>85yrs).

Partly that's because the NHS offers free drugs and treatments, whereas in the US the cost of surgery can be prohibitive. But I definitely think you'd be considered extremely odd if you said, "I've had enough of being prodded and poked and taking pills with side-effects that don't work. I'll stick with diapers."

I think, if someone got to that point here, the doctors would probably suggest surgery to bypass the normal exit points for waste, and give you drainage ports of some kind (like a stoma).

Still, it's always your body, and your choice.

Tetra said:
Yesterday the largest university & hospital network in the state has an online and print newsletter on new medical items and procedures as well as consumer directed articles on topics of better living , yesterday the new issue was dedicated to:

Is it time to finally start wearing adult diapers ??
Do you have a link to the article? Would love to read it!!

I remember not too long ago there was a study, and I want to say it was with the NHS, where they talked about how bad the failure rate was for most incontinence treatments. It may be that they're starting to see what actually works: Diapers.

HeronimusM said:
here in Europe they tend to try also with meds, and i'm not going to take it...

Trying with meds is the correct approach. The problem is doctors who can't accept people relying on diapers when meds fail them.

Any non-ABDL incontinent person would prefer a medical cure whether it's pills or surgery if A) it worked and B) it had tolerable or no side effects.

What happens though is doctors project their sense of diaper shame onto their patients and make us feel like crap if we've come to rely on diapers and have reached a level of acceptance with it. I just want to get on with my life. All the treatements failed me. I've accepted that I'll be in diapers forever, why can't my doctor?

But the vast majority of people can be very successfully treated or even cured. Diapers really don't make much sense as a first line treatment.

MassIncon said:
Trying with meds is the correct approach. The problem is doctors who can't accept people relying on diapers when meds fail them.

Any non-ABDL incontinent person would prefer a medical cure whether it's pills or surgery if A) it worked and B) it had tolerable or no side effects.

What happens though is doctors project their sense of diaper shame onto their patients and make us feel like crap if we've come to rely on diapers and have reached a level of acceptance with it. I just want to get on with my life. All the treatements failed me. I've accepted that I'll be in diapers forever, why can't my doctor?

But the vast majority of people can be very successfully treated or even cured. Diapers really don't make much sense as a first line treatment.

Diaper shame? Personally I havent seen that. Ive been in hospital a couple times in recent months and it seems diapers are the default option for neuro patients. The nurses prefer if patients wear them too rather than try to get up to go to the bathroom and especially at night.

mikesecret said:
Diaper shame? Personally I havent seen that. Ive been in hospital a couple times in recent months and it seems diapers are the default option for neuro patients. The nurses prefer if patients wear them too rather than try to get up to go to the bathroom and especially at night.

I'm not talking about hospital stays (I've never stayed overnight in one), but more about like your go-to urologist for incon.
it's varying degrees. My urologist just seems to project the fact that he'd be ashamed of wearing diapers onto me, so I should be too. It's subtle...But I get comments like "so you're sill wearing the diapers then [sigh]"...He's been more direct earlier on with "I wish you'd stop wearing the diapers, it's counterproductive to the treatment"...He can't seem to understand that I can't piss my pants in front of my clients while giving them a presentation on investment banking services while waiting for his ineffective treatment to work.

I've heard much worse stories from other people on other boards.

mikesecret said:

Ha, you haven't been to many urologists or nurses have you?

I've been through more than a few dozen surgeries in the past 20 years. Each visit diapered. While it is getting better, diaper shaming is still very real.

Over the last yr, I've been back and forth with wearing . At first I tried and liked, then I wore full time for a week or two at a time. As I try to get myself adjusted to being in a diaper full time, I am hopeful the stigma begins to lessen.

I'm getting sick of my urologist and feel like what he has done has helped very little. I would like to see adult briefs become more main stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenn said:
There is no money in prescribing diapers and unfortunately many doctors are more interested in that or their "hero/god" complex than the welfare of their patients.

This needs a like button!

You guys should come to my Urologist he is a fantastic doc , who's been with me the last 18 years, he i beleive is polish and has a russian accent ,but is very easy to talk with and understand , i have kinda gotten used to our after appointments chats the completely off the record stuff , he is very sensitive about his speech and often asks me how hes doing with english , and i told him i didnt have a problem with it 18 years ago or today , i have had "hospitalist" Dr's who i have thrown out of my room because i couldnt understand them ,if I can't tell you are asking a question or giving me information . My doc does zero diaper shaming he even has free samples at his office if you need or want them.

Now THAT's a good urologist. Mine gave me a vasectomy 40 years ago and other than hitting a nerve with the sedative needle (not his fault) all was fine. The problem came decades later when I had kidney stones and he did not believe me because there was no blood. I have now collected about 30-40 kidney stones, and only had evidence of blood (on the stone itself) once.

Last edited:
Finding a good urologist can be near impossible. I've dealt with bladder control issues all my life. Gone to diapers because they work more reliably and better than any medication I've tried. Still...

About a decade ago I had problems with testosterone production in my body, was dealing with it via endocrinologist. Had allergy issues with a couple methods of replacement testosterone before being put on injections once every couple weeks. A year into it, I start having testicular pain. Serious pain. It makes my cluster headaches seem mild. Can barely walk, hard to work, etc.

Go to a urologist recommended by the endocrinologist. First thing, he sees the diaper and swears we have to get me out of them. "No, I'm here to see you for this horrendous testicular pain."

His words, no joke, were "The pain is insignificant, getting you out of diapers is the important thing."

Let's run an NFL linebacker into your boys and see how insignificant the pain is. Never went to a second appointment with that idiot. Diaper shaming is VERY real.

Diaper shaming goes way back, From toilet training, so that's where the stigma of being diaper free comes from. Doctors are people who correct things in the body, and in society, in general, diapers are wrong. I can understand when some people just absolutely want out of diapers. Parents, kids, most people in general see diapers as infantile. They are frowned upon because of that social stigma.

Good doctors will tell you the success rate and gives your chances of it. If it's a lots chance, they should say something, not put people on the cutting board, not putting people on drugs that have a domino effect of other side effects that result in another drug. If it doesn't work, they should take them off. It's hard enough to live with incontinence, people don't need more conditions.

On the other hand doctors need to make money, so they will sell you the chance to be continent. They will usually point you in the direction that pays them the most. They will shame the diapers you're wearing and hope it will get them money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

their is still a stigma in the USA and other places that only babies and the elderly wear diapers
it's slowly changing ( no pun intended ) but it's still got a ways to go

wetatnight said:
their is still a stigma in the USA and other places that only babies and the elderly wear diapers
it's slowly changing ( no pun intended ) but it's still got a ways to go
That's true , if only we could teach the ignorant and the stupid, because in reality there are far more diaper users in the middle than both babies & elderly combined ,people dont just get aged and frail and a magic cosmic switch gets thrown and they become IC .it just shows person's ignorance that diaper stigma or shaming goes on to begin with , it's a medical condition with an associated physical component ,diabetics don't get taken to task over glucometers ( i dont say syringes because in most cases they assume its drug use/abuse even that is almost stigma free compared to wearing diapers ) people with COPD dont get grief for oxygen concentrators ,so the way people are "potty trained" creates lifelong bias, yet its only recently that people are getting a clue that the training mantra is bad .Doctors are suposed to be the best and brightest of us ,so the ones that diaper shame should have there license revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back