Questions about 24/7 wearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see how much money many people here spend on disposable diapers. I didn't try a lot of disposable brands but I decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to use cloth diapers and plastic pants. I've been diapered 24/7 now for a couple of months and I do a lot of laundry but I feel better about the expenditure. I also enjoy the AB aspect of folding and pinning on cloth diapers and wearing plastic pants... maybe it takes me back to my very remote babyhood when disposable diapers weren't available. Come to think of it, kitty litter wasn't available when I was a kid either, so my brother and I tore up newspaper into the cat box as one of our chores. We've certainly progressed a long way in that respect.

Fiddlemiller said:
I see how much money many people here spend on disposable diapers. I didn't try a lot of disposable brands but I decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to use cloth diapers and plastic pants. I've been diapered 24/7 now for a couple of months and I do a lot of laundry but I feel better about the expenditure. I also enjoy the AB aspect of folding and pinning on cloth diapers and wearing plastic pants... maybe it takes me back to my very remote babyhood when disposable diapers weren't available. Come to think of it, kitty litter wasn't available when I was a kid either, so my brother and I tore up newspaper into the cat box as one of our chores. We've certainly progressed a long way in that respect.

For the most part, cloth IS cheaper in the long run. It has a very high startup cost though, so be ready for that. Also, laundering cloth diapers takes a LOT of extra effort compared to disposables. They are also far more noticable/thicker than even a soaked disposable too. What really sucks is cloth isn't any more environmentally friendly than disposable too.

Just know that while they work great for some, they aren't for everybody, so weigh your options carefully.

what brand you wear
A mixture! Currently wearing a Bambino Bianco Ultrastretch, and my wardrobe also contains ABU Preschool, ABU LittlePawz, Abena M3, BetterDry/Crinklz, and cloth diapers.

how much you go through in a month
105-115 diapers a month, usually.

the average end of the month cost to refill your stock on diapers?
A touch over $200, although it can go up to about $250 depending on what diapers I buy and how much I decide to overstock.

What size/brand do you wear and how much it can hold?
I'm medium in most diapers. I use a bunch of different diapers for different things, so they can hold different amounts. However, I'm a tall, broad guy who consumes a lot of fluids. I'm also incontinent. As a result, I tend toward fairly thick diapers in my wardrobe. The thinnest are probably Abena M3s, and those are borderline uncomfortably thin/unabsorbent for me.

Is it best to wear a certain brand in the day and a different one at night?
I find that it generally is. The rationale behind this is pretty solid - during the day you can usually get away to change (I go through 3 to 4 diapers in 16 waking hours), but during the night you're asleep for 8 hours and therefore can't change during that time. You could simply wear a normal "thin" diaper and leak, but if you don't want to do that, it's better to get an "overnight" diaper which is a little thicker than your normal diapers.

Personally, I consider my M3s and Preschools to be day diapers, my LittlePawz, Biancos and cloth diapers to be night diapers, and my BetterDry/Crinklz to be somewhere in the middle.

what type of pants are best at hiding the bulge when you are in public?
It's more about what pants to avoid. In general, don't wear thin fabrics and you should be okay.

A more important concern is where the seams fall. On a lot of normal clothes, there's a thick, solid seam straight through the crotch. Those pants are designed for underwear, not diapers, so where they sit normally will cut into your diaper and could impair the function. In the front they'll be constantly squeezing it in the middle and could give you upper leg leaks; in the back they'll be pressing your diaper up against your butt, which leads to problems of its own if you go #2.

My recommendation is to get jean-look casual pants, or investigate aged care vendors, many of whom sell pants that have deeper crotches precisely for "personal care needs". It'll be a little less stylish, but I assume since you're diapered, having everyone see every line of your body is not a concern.

One tip: if you mess in public, and I don't think you should unless you're IC, but some will - be aware that messy diapers create a large, visible lump in the back of your pants, to the extent that you would have to tie a sweater over your but to hide it.

DonGlover said:
Any 24/7 wearers willing to share some math with me?
Like what brand you wear, how much you go through in a month and the average end of the month cost to refill your stock on diapers?

What size/brand do you wear and how much it can hold?
Is it best to wear a certain brand in the day and a different one at night? and what type of pants are best at hiding the bulge when you are in public?

While I dont 24/7 anymore and only wear often I do have my experiences to answer from when I did 24/7

For me my costs ranged around $80-115 depending on what I actually bought at the time, since ABU didnt have smalls at the time it made it much cheaper for me to refill and stock.
I mostly stuck with Northsores and Tru-Fits/Goodnites when I wore. Northsores were my House wear meaning unless im going out I was mostly wearing a Northshore but going out I would either go with a Goodnite or Trufit and wear a pair of skinny jeans, honestly no one really notices stuff anyways so I never really cared much though my hoodies did help since they tend to be a little large.

Although the snaps in the crotch would make diaper changes without unbelting a possibility, I wonder how easy that really would be, given how high good diapers tend to rise? (especially in the back)

I could certainly use the extra room down there though. For me the biggest problem is the crotch seam presses up on the crotch of my diaper. If I'm dry this tends to cause my "V" fold to turn into a deep "W", and when I wet it often all goes to one side, frequently leading to a leak on that side. It's also a problem if I'm already wet and my diaper has adopted a less changeable "V". It has to all go around the seam to one side or the other and down a pant leg a bit, and that leaves the other side with basically zero padding and so leaks immediately on that side. Sometimes I can keep a stable "W" when I'm dry and if my first wetting is enough it'll swell outward and go a bit more into a "U" that can't shift left or right and so stays in the middle despite the pant seam's best effort to move it to a side, but that's rather uncommon. Even then it's pressing up in the middle and closes off any channel so any additional wetting tends to flood forward rather than flow down to dryer padding in the back of the crotch area. So I'd like to see shorts with a lower inseam. (the girls have it so lucky in so many ways with dresses! Maybe it's time for a kilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back