In between diaper sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in between medium and large. Got large this time, it is a bit big, but less tight then the mediums. It's like an inch too big, as it is very so slightly lose on my leg at the lower part, leaked poo a few times because of it.

Slomo said:
Don't forget, diapers are not supposed to fit like underwear. They are intended to fit like a diaper. That means they should extend up to your waist line (near your belly button).

If it feels like you're "swimming" or engulfed in a diaper, then that's probably because you're used to low rise, hip hugging, underwear. Give it time, and wear the size you need for a proper fitting. You'll get used to it sokner or later.

The biggest problem I have with fit is that the diapers are bulging with air in the front. Kind of in the area where a man needs more space.

How do I avoid this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photogirl said:
The biggest problem I have with fit is that the diapers are bulging with air in the front. Kind of in the area where a man needs more space.

You'll get that bulge in the front if you tape the lower tapes up a bit higher than necessary. (and it can be made a little worse by also taping the upper tapes a bit too high)

If moving the lowers up is going to cause a fit/leak problem, look for smaller diapers. A lot of diapers don't have enough sizes in between to get a good fit if you just need to move a 1/2 a size so you may need to try other brands that fit in between the sizes in the ones you wear currently.

photogirl said:

How do I avoid this problem?

Place the tapes so the are horizontally across. Like bambinod said, having them angled up or down will create that pocket of air.

I just switched from mediums to larges and I love the difference, it's like switching from underwear that had tapes to wearing an actual diaper

I've been using SDK smalls for a while but finally received a box of mediums today. It's almost too big as I'm in the lowest end of the fit side, but feels more comfortable and less prone to leaking. At first when I tried to fit in it the internal leak guards were not fully in contact but I pulled it up a little more like you see in the pullup commercials and it seems to be fitting much better. If I gain an inch or two (which I need to because I'm like a twig) then these will fit perfectly.

pampers4U said:
I just switched from mediums to larges and I love the difference, it's like switching from underwear that had tapes to wearing an actual diaper

Now you know why I'm always so perplex when someone says they love using baby diapers or goodnites, or pulkuos are the best, or that they can fit into a medium in spit of having a 36 in waist, or whatever

It's like do they not know there is so much better out there, or are they purposely in denial about it.....

Slomo said:
Now you know why I'm always so perplex when someone says they love using baby diapers or goodnites, or pulkuos are the best, or that they can fit into a medium in spit of having a 36 in waist, or whatever

It's like do they not know there is so much better out there, or are they purposely in denial about it.....
Yes def, I think a lot of it has to do with people really not knowing how to diaper themselves either, its not as easy as laying down pulling up the front panel and tapping it tight.
What I have learned is that the best way to put one on is standing up, you first fluff the diaper up then fold it in half, you then bring it up to you folded in half and land it so that the very top of the diaper is about 1/2" bellow your navel, you then flatten the back wings out and lean against the wall to hold it in place, you then bring the front back up but don't go supper tight between your legs, tape the bottoms on first then the tops, the leak guards will be snug all the way around front to back, the coverage area will be great, belly button to small of your back.
With mediums I would have to jam the diaper tight against me leak guard so when I would tape it it would already kinda be stretched out, yes the tapes fit but because it was stretched out I would sacrifice the design of the diaper and have leaks before all the padding was wet, I would blame it as poor wicking but really it was because everything was stretched and it was designed to function like that.

I ran into this problem with the ABU Simples. I thought the mediums fit good, then I realized that the rise in front was not adequate and that I could get drip leaks if I was on my side. Went up a size on the Simples and it was like taking a huge trash bag a tying it around my waist. Massive and billowy.

I then tried the Confidrys and was like "wow, these things ride up high". Then I realized that is how they should fit, and man what a difference. The Tykables were the same way. The Size 1's fit like underwear and were really tight, but the size 2's ride up high and fit/protect perfectly.

So how high should a diaper come up? Where should the tapes land on the diaper? How do I know if a diaper is too small or just not the right brand of diaper for me? Where should I actually be measuring on my body for size charts for diapers? (I am a lady and my hips are larger than my waist.)

photogirl said:
So how high should a diaper come up? Where should the tapes land on the diaper? How do I know if a diaper is too small or just not the right brand of diaper for me? Where should I actually be measuring on my body for size charts for diapers? (I am a lady and my hips are larger than my waist.)

I consider the top tapes to be the "belt line" tapes. Measure around where your belt goes for them.

The lower tapes are the problem. They will need to cover more distance because your hips get wider below your belt. ALSO the wing in the front is having to curve out and around to meet the tapes, so it will lose a few inches there also. THIS is why most adult diapers are sized wrong. They measure what the top tapes will fit, and then they call that the top end of the range. There's simply NO chance of the lowers even reaching the front at that point.

So you have to know how "honest" the numbers they publish are. If you have a 38" waist, you're going to need around 42-44" around the lowers. So someone with a 36" waist thinks "oh this diaper says it fits up to 38, it'll be close but it should fit with a bit to spare". And no. Not even close.

Length seems to be something of a matter of preference. Considering how far the top tapes are from the top of most diapers, usually around 1-2.5") that places the top of my diapers usually between my belt line and belly button.

I prefer the padding to get to my beltline if possible. Some diapers that's a problem because they have so much "dead plastic" on the front end. Sometimes I cut some of that off. (tena slip maxi plastic for example) But that shortens the diaper which leaves less of a gutter down below. Works okay for day, not so well for night.

ProudPaddedBro said:
I ran into this problem with the ABU Simples. I thought the mediums fit good, then I realized that the rise in front was not adequate and that I could get drip leaks if I was on my side. Went up a size on the Simples and it was like taking a huge trash bag a tying it around my waist. Massive and billowy.

I then tried the Confidrys and was like "wow, these things ride up high". Then I realized that is how they should fit, and man what a difference. The Tykables were the same way. The Size 1's fit like underwear and were really tight, but the size 2's ride up high and fit/protect perfectly.
^This^ yes, I had my moment when I realized that I've been "doing it wrong" all this time

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
I consider the top tapes to be the "belt line" tapes. Measure around where your belt goes for them.

The lower tapes are the problem. They will need to cover more distance because your hips get wider below your belt. ALSO the wing in the front is having to curve out and around to meet the tapes, so it will lose a few inches there also. THIS is why most adult diapers are sized wrong. They measure what the top tapes will fit, and then they call that the top end of the range. There's simply NO chance of the lowers even reaching the front at that point.

So you have to know how "honest" the numbers they publish are. If you have a 38" waist, you're going to need around 42-44" around the lowers. So someone with a 36" waist thinks "oh this diaper says it fits up to 38, it'll be close but it should fit with a bit to spare". And no. Not even close.

Length seems to be something of a matter of preference. Considering how far the top tapes are from the top of most diapers, usually around 1-2.5") that places the top of my diapers usually between my belt line and belly button.

I prefer the padding to get to my beltline if possible. Some diapers that's a problem because they have so much "dead plastic" on the front end. Sometimes I cut some of that off. (tena slip maxi plastic for example) But that shortens the diaper which leaves less of a gutter down below. Works okay for day, not so well for night.

You wear your pants like a nerd :D

pampers4U said:
You wear your pants like a nerd :D

You mean with my belt around my beltline? Well I'm not about to do like some of the latest generation that have their pants so low that 1/2 of their boxers are showing...

It's probably worth adding that while a properly fitted diaper does extend up to the waist line, most everyone is still going to be wearing their pants only up to their belt line. This is also the reason why onesies or extra long shirts come up as a necessity so often too.

Most of the diapers I wear seem to extend well above the waistline in the back, usually at least a few inches. And some diapers seem to be quite high-rise in the back.

bambinod said:
Most of the diapers I wear seem to extend well above the waistline in the back, usually at least a few inches. And some diapers seem to be quite high-rise in the back.

Waist line, or hips/belt line? If they are really extending a few inches above your waist line, then they are also extending half way up your back. This is a clear indication you're wearing one or two sizes too big.

Fits right and presto both have a diaper is size regular. I tried presto in regular and the fit was very good. You may have a hard time finding them in that size in a plastic backed.

I am right between a medium and a large too! As I was just saying in another thread, if I wear a medium, I get a wedgie, but a large gives me a lot of sag even when dry. As an IC person, I really have no choice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back