High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryPotter

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Today I was in Ikea and they had a bar stool that looked and felt like a high chair. With a couple of modifications I think it could be done. I live in the Uk but it's not on their website but here's the link to the US one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70357015/
The photo dose not do it justice. Has anyone seen it or tried to make a high chair?

In all honesty, several of the other​ chairs listed on that page strike me as better candidates. But I see what you mean. :)

The photo is terrible. Its like a bucket seat which hugs you.

Plenty of barstools will work; the problem is in attaching any sort of tray. I know; I've tried!

What's required is a barstool that's largely wood; then you have to add 'L' arms to the sides and base. The 'plastic bucket' you found at Ikea won't work because there's no easy way to attach arms, and without arms, there's no support for a tray.

Once you've made and attached the 'L' arms, the top of the 'L' needs hardware that will allow a tray to slide on and off when you're sitting in the highchair. The easiest thing to do is 'rob' hardware from an existing highchair.

The real problem is the tray. Most plastic 'baby' highchair trays won't work because you have to move the screws outbound past the sides to accommodate your barstool's extra width; you're effectively stuck having a wooden tray made. If you have woodworking tools or are otherwise handy with wood, this may be a project you'll want to tackle yourself. The three or four wood craftsmen I've approached regarding my request with raised eyebrows. I told the last one I wanted the tray for a highchair I was making for an elderly relative. His reply: "Yeah, right." He told me he had other projects lined up and wasn't interested in helping me. I don't have the time or tools to do it myself, or I'd try.

Good luck!

Another thing that would make the tray are trays meant for people in wheel chairs. They curve the inside curve done and are not unreasonable in price.

HarryPotter said:
Today I was in Ikea and they had a bar stool that looked and felt like a high chair. With a couple of modifications I think it could be done. I live in the Uk but it's not on their website but here's the link to the US one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70357015/
The photo dose not do it justice. Has anyone seen it or tried to make a high chair?

hey i found this one matching the name and photo on Ikea UK's website
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?k=FANBYN%20bar%20stool%20with%20backrest

Well babies I still use my GRACO NEET SEATS I have two in use every day and baby is very happy and comfy in them.

bn3baby

DSCN5776 (444x640).jpgDSCN5772 - Copy (401x640).jpg

Unfortunately, Graco hasn't made Neat Seats for some years now. I wish I could find one, but I'm not sure I'd fit beneath the lap bar.

I got my neat seats off Kijiji and they do show up in second hand shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back