Incontinent Soon to be Camp Counselor looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzywop

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey everybody! So I'm going to be a camp counselor soon and I was wondering if any of you all have been a camp counselor while incontinent. I'm a bit nervous because I'm going to have to manage changes during the camp, there will be swimming and at the end of each session the camp goes out of town for for 4 days. So beside asking if any of you all have worn while being a camp counselor and how you dealt with it I'd also like suggestions for diapers to wear to camp and when traveling and how to go about changes. Any help would be much appreciated!:sweatdrop:

It would be tough to make any sort of recommendation without knowing anything about the type of incontinence you suffer from. In other words, what are your needs? Liquid protection, solids, both? How often do you void, how much? Fast, slow, day, night? Also, what kind of camp will this be? How mobile do you have to be? Will you be more of a chaperone around the facility or a guide on long overland hikes? Biking, sports? What's your activity level going to be like?

My guess is that since you are incontinent, you have a fairly good grasp on your daily/nightly protection requirements. I'm also going to guess that if you are going to be a camp counselor, it is because it is something that interests you along with the activities. Given, then, that the activities are of interest to you, you probably partake in them every so often and know what your protection needs are going to be while doing said activities.

So, are you then just asking about the generalities of dealing with incontinence in a setting that very well might lead to some form of exposure to either the management, fellow counselors, campers, or any combination of these? I'd like to provide some sort of insight, experience or idea to help you out. I just need some parameters.

Llayden said:
It would be tough to make any sort of recommendation without knowing anything about the type of incontinence you suffer from. In other words, what are your needs? Liquid protection, solids, both? How often do you void, how much? Fast, slow, day, night? Also, what kind of camp will this be? How mobile do you have to be? Will you be more of a chaperone around the facility or a guide on long overland hikes? Biking, sports? What's your activity level going to be like?

My guess is that since you are incontinent, you have a fairly good grasp on your daily/nightly protection requirements. I'm also going to guess that if you are going to be a camp counselor, it is because it is something that interests you along with the activities. Given, then, that the activities are of interest to you, you probably partake in them every so often and know what your protection needs are going to be while doing said activities.

So, are you then just asking about the generalities of dealing with incontinence in a setting that very well might lead to some form of exposure to either the management, fellow counselors, campers, or any combination of these? I'd like to provide some sort of insight, experience or idea to help you out. I just need some parameters.

I only suffer from urinary incontinence, and I was originally going to be a camp counselor for the music part of the camp, but my boss just let me know that I'm now going to be a general counselor which means I'll have to help out with sports like soccer, basketball, and swimming as well as the overnight part that happens at the end of each session that lasts several days. I guess my main question is should I go with the easy to move in pull-ups or fitted briefs which hold more and allow me to change while standing up?

You are definitely going to want tabbed diapers so you can change in any position your in fast ,since your "only" bladder IC you can skip the swim diaper .
And if this is part of your employment does your boss know your IC ?
It could be an asset for the camp in assisting any campers that are IC or bedweters feel better about themselves ,having a counselor that more reflects themselves and their special need . As a kid I never went to camp, as a Teen I went on several AYH trips , and they were some off the best times in my life .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
You are definitely going to want tabbed diapers so you can change in any position your in fast ,since your "only" bladder IC you can skip the swim diaper .
And if this is part of your employment does your boss know your IC ?
It could be an asset for the camp in assisting any campers that are IC or bedweters feel better about themselves ,having a counselor that more reflects themselves and their special need . As a kid I never went to camp, as a Teen I went on several AYH trips , and they were some off the best times in my life .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My boss doesn't know because I try to keep it on a need to know basis :/ I might talk about it with them because of what you said about possible IC/bed wetting campers (You're right about it possibly having a positive impact :)
Do you have any suggestions on tabbed diapers that are easy to move/run in? I usually wear Tranquility all thru the night but they're not good for running around in (at least for me.) Also do you have any advice on how I should talk to my boss about it? Should I ask if there are any special needs campers, or should I just bring up my condition?

izzywop said:
My boss doesn't know because I try to keep it on a need to know basis :/

This kind of job isn't one you can avoid bringing it up unfortunately. Also have you been a camp counselor prior to suffering from the problem, if so it gives you some ideas of where you can look for places to work in changes. Swimmings going to be an added difculty too especially depending on the output level, also changing. You're going to need a product that can last you at least 5-6 hours without being in danger of leaking.

Last edited:
A onesesie under your shirt keeps your brief pulled up babykins makes them

Tabbed diapers for start. Will you be swimming yourself, and/or need to leave the group in order to change your diaper? Of if anything else you can think of that might mean your needing diapers could somewhat affect your ability to do your job? If so, then your boss will need to know of this in advance.

I would also recommend you use good premium diapers that will last you a minimum 6-8 hours. Unless swimming or exercising, then go with a pullup that will last you an hour or so until you're done & can change again. Also note, if you do skip a swim diaper and spend even a minute out of the water, then be mentally prepared for leaking all over the place.

Well,

Ive been a camp counselor for a large scout camp way back!

I think you need to tell your boss about it aasap! These days they'd be hard pressed to then change or not hav you do this as that could be construed as an illegal act on several counts...they cant hold a disability (which is the classification I don't use but it is) against you unless is compromises your ability to do your job.

Now on to what you wear for protection.
If your limited to changes you'll need a good quality and thick diaper...say 24/7's
They will most likely show a bit, if someone knows what to look for, but wear a onesie over it, and it will not show much and most people will just think you wear an undershirt...

But, based on the camps I've been at, there are plenty of facilities that you can use...

As a camp counselor i always carried a backpack with lots of things in it, from first I'd kit, to medications...back then all the counselor handeled meds for the kids...

So, you may have a pack with you too, there are emergencies that you need to be prepared for, I'm sure you'll need a first aid kit, epi pens, topical creams for poison ivy/etc and keys plus books and guides for activities.

So, you should have enevrthing you need with, including your diapers too.

Talk to your boss...he can filll you in on what you'll need with, but even if they done require anything, I'd still bring a pack with first aid, Epi, sunblock, aloe, etc...better to have it and not no it, as to needing it and not having it...

Boy Scout motto, be prepared!

rennecfox said:
This kind of job isn't one you can avoid bringing it up unfortunately. Also have you been a camp counselor prior to suffering from the problem, if so it gives you some ideas of where you can look for places to work in changes. Swimmings going to be an added difculty too especially depending on the output level, also changing. You're going to need a product that can last you at least 5-6 hours without being in danger of leaking.

I was but it wasn't a full time summer position and it wasn't a camp where I needed to run around a lot :(

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
Tabbed diapers for start. Will you be swimming yourself, and/or need to leave the group in order to change your diaper? Of if anything else you can think of that might mean your needing diapers could somewhat affect your ability to do your job? If so, then your boss will need to know of this in advance.

I would also recommend you use good premium diapers that will last you a minimum 6-8 hours. Unless swimming or exercising, then go with a pullup that will last you an hour or so until you're done & can change again. Also note, if you do skip a swim diaper and spend even a minute out of the water, then be mentally prepared for leaking all over the place.

I don't think it will affect my ability to work, I'm just going to have to have a diaper prepared for every occasion (Sports/long road trips/sleep/etc)

People are suggesting good premium diapers, and I agree with them, but that doesn't mean you can toss away discretion. Try the Seni Quatro. It is almost as absorbent as the Dry 24/7 and is in many ways a superior diaper. It also happens to be much more discrete under clothing and, made with a cloth backing, makes less noise. The cloth backing also will help for summer use, as it will allow you to breathe.

Bigbabybret said:
Well,

Ive been a camp counselor for a large scout camp way back!

I think you need to tell your boss about it aasap! These days they'd be hard pressed to then change or not hav you do this as that could be construed as an illegal act on several counts...they cant hold a disability (which is the classification I don't use but it is) against you unless is compromises your ability to do your job.

Now on to what you wear for protection.
If your limited to changes you'll need a good quality and thick diaper...say 24/7's
They will most likely show a bit, if someone knows what to look for, but wear a onesie over it, and it will not show much and most people will just think you wear an undershirt...

But, based on the camps I've been at, there are plenty of facilities that you can use...

As a camp counselor i always carried a backpack with lots of things in it, from first I'd kit, to medications...back then all the counselor handeled meds for the kids...

So, you may have a pack with you too, there are emergencies that you need to be prepared for, I'm sure you'll need a first aid kit, epi pens, topical creams for poison ivy/etc and keys plus books and guides for activities.

So, you should have enevrthing you need with, including your diapers too.

Talk to your boss...he can filll you in on what you'll need with, but even if they done require anything, I'd still bring a pack with first aid, Epi, sunblock, aloe, etc...better to have it and not no it, as to needing it and not having it...

Boy Scout motto, be prepared!

Were you incontinent when you were a counselor? And thanks for suggesting the backpack I'll be sure to establish myself as the apothecary of the group :) I'm unsure if I can run around in a confi dry 24/7 (I've never worn run but I'm told they're very thick, that being said they'll be perfect for the bus trips) Also I don't think finding time to change will be an issue accept for the out of town bus trips (It's looking like a few 90 min and 4 hr drives) I'll probably wear tabbed for field trips and road trips so I can change easily and quicker and wear pull-ups for sports so I can move easier.
Also I'll talk to my boss about it at training so they know what's up. Hell they may even get an incontinent/enuresis cabin going!

- - - Updated - - -

kerry said:
People are suggesting good premium diapers, and I agree with them, but that doesn't mean you can toss away discretion. Try the Seni Quatro. It is almost as absorbent as the Dry 24/7 and is in many ways a superior diaper. It also happens to be much more discrete under clothing and, made with a cloth backing, makes less noise. The cloth backing also will help for summer use, as it will allow you to breathe.

I'll look into those. Thanks for the suggestion! I will be outside and wearing a uniform so I'll take discretion+constant changes over absorbency (that being said i'm not opposed to discretion+absorbency :))

izzywop said:
I'll look into those. Thanks for the suggestion! I will be outside and wearing a uniform so I'll take discretion+constant changes over absorbency (that being said i'm not opposed to discretion+absorbency :))

Oh, you don't have to worry: the Seni is #2 in absorbency, only slightly trailing the 24/7. And the 24/7 is more leak-prone. :)

I'd also check out the Abena M4 AirPlus. They have excellent absorbency, are cool in the summer heat, and are very quiet with quiet tapes. Abena makes a pull on as well (the Abri-Flex), but I'm not a fan. Might want to try them just in case.

I also think talking to your camp leader is essential and carrying a backpack with your supplies and a first aid kit is brilliant. If you can learn extensive First Aid (the Boy Scout handbook is an excellent resource), you might even be able to help someone else out this summer!!

izzywop said:
Were you incontinent when you were a counselor? And thanks for suggesting the backpack I'll be sure to establish myself as the apothecary of the group :) I'm unsure if I can run around in a confi dry 24/7 (I've never worn run but I'm told they're very thick, that being said they'll be perfect for the bus trips) Also I don't think finding time to change will be an issue accept for the out of town bus trips (It's looking like a few 90 min and 4 hr drives) I'll probably wear tabbed for field trips and road trips so I can change easily and quicker and wear pull-ups for sports so I can move easier.
Also I'll talk to my boss about it at training so they know what's up. Hell they may even get an incontinent/enuresis cabin going!

- - - Updated - - -

Well,

Yes, I've been IC more or less since birth, had years where I could go without if bathroom was very near...but accidents still happened...

So, at camp I wasn't worried when swimming, or even if out of the water for a bit, as I'd make sure im empty before going out of the lake...

Back then didn't have 24/7's but wore fairly thick diapers, close the the thickness of a 27/7 maybe a bit thicker than a molicare...

I'd doubt the 24/7 will stop you from running or moving around they form to your body pretty good, and if wearing a onesie, work great as well...

I'd stay away from the pullups or alike, as they don't work well, and quite often one decent void will overcome them...

If you are IC then a tapped diaper is the only way to go!

izzywop said:
I'll probably wear tabbed for field trips and road trips so I can change easily and quicker and wear pull-ups for sports so I can move easier.

This is what I would suggest. I was a camp counselor for several summers years ago and, though I still suffered from urgency, I could make it to the bathroom most of the time back then. Now days if I'm active (sports or working near or on the water), I'll wear a pull-up, but any other situation and it's a premium diaper.

It occurs to me you have a perfect opportunity to educate young people about medical problems such as incontinence . You can tell people at the beginning about medical situations and how we don’t know what will happen in life and how it relates to you. You can teach the group that they should have respect for you and others with medical problems because they would want to be respected if they were in a similar situation. You must insist upon dealing with it correctly and with dignity but you obviously have to have a sense of humor.

If it were me, I would consult a number of clinical psychologists or therapists about how to make this unique situation into a ‘teachable moment’ for all to benefit from. None of us knows what life has in store for us. And it’s important and healthy to give someone the chance to learn and understand.

I don’t know if that means much in your reality but just came to mind.

Hi izzywop! Have you thought about learning how to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles using guided exercises? These were developed during the Han dynasty in China over 1,000 years ago, and were rediscovered by an injured surgeon who changed careers in the early 1940s and became a gynecologist. Dr. Kegel (pronounced Kay' gle, rhymes with bagel) found that simply talking about which muscles to exercise didn't work, as there are four different sets of muscles women often contract but only one will relieve urinary incontinence from sneezing, laughing, coughing, lifting, etc. So he invented a medical device that women could squeeze against, and that would indicate how hard they were squeezing. Since his introduction of his perineometer in 1947, and his publication that 85% of women who used his device while exercising regained continence, many similar devices have come on the market - some can be bought without a prescription by mail order. Have you tried pelvic floor exercises guided by a perineometer? If so, did they work for you?

ProudPaddedBro said:
I'd also check out the Abena M4 AirPlus. They have excellent absorbency, are cool in the summer heat, and are very quiet with quiet tapes. Abena makes a pull on as well (the Abri-Flex), but I'm not a fan. Might want to try them just in case.

I also think talking to your camp leader is essential and carrying a backpack with your supplies and a first aid kit is brilliant. If you can learn extensive First Aid (the Boy Scout handbook is an excellent resource), you might even be able to help someone else out this summer!!

I will be sure to look into those too :) thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bigbabybret said:
Well,

Yes, I've been IC more or less since birth, had years where I could go without if bathroom was very near...but accidents still happened...

So, at camp I wasn't worried when swimming, or even if out of the water for a bit, as I'd make sure im empty before going out of the lake...

Back then didn't have 24/7's but wore fairly thick diapers, close the the thickness of a 27/7 maybe a bit thicker than a molicare...

I'd doubt the 24/7 will stop you from running or moving around they form to your body pretty good, and if wearing a onesie, work great as well...

I'd stay away from the pullups or alike, as they don't work well, and quite often one decent void will overcome them...

If you are IC then a tapped diaper is the only way to go!

I'm reading this after getting back home after leaking in a pull-up :( I guess plastic back tabbed is the only way to go

- - - Updated - - -

toejamer said:
It occurs to me you have a perfect opportunity to educate young people about medical problems such as incontinence . You can tell people at the beginning about medical situations and how we don’t know what will happen in life and how it relates to you. You can teach the group that they should have respect for you and others with medical problems because they would want to be respected if they were in a similar situation. You must insist upon dealing with it correctly and with dignity but you obviously have to have a sense of humor.

If it were me, I would consult a number of clinical psychologists or therapists about how to make this unique situation into a ‘teachable moment’ for all to benefit from. None of us knows what life has in store for us. And it’s important and healthy to give someone the chance to learn and understand.

I don’t know if that means much in your reality but just came to mind.

I'm going to bring it up at training in a couple days :)

Yep!

I myself have never had a pull-up handle any ic much at all...

I hate leaks they suck despite embarrassmen...

As for the air (cloth backed) diapers, i find the tapes don't hold well, and unless your wearing a onesie, the backing tends to wear/be damp when any sort of friction is applied to the cover...where as the plastic seems to slide over clothing much better, also why i like the titanium body suits from preventa wear (slippery fabric)

One way or another diapers are hot, but should absorb any sweat and if using some corn starch baby powder (don't use talc its bad for you) I've never felt drier or cooler in a fabric back diaper at least when wearing a onesie.

Before my accident a few years ago, i used to camp/hike/bike/etc, and always wearing a onesie, without a nice tight onesie any diaper tends to break up and become uncomfortable to useless!

Onesies will be your friend, i quite often just wore onesie and shorts at camp, still do if its hot...

Diaper, onesie, swim trunks is my favorite in fact for summer, the string tying type of swim trunks (some look more. Like shorts ) but nylon is a bit noisy for cover up, and string tightens up to keep them up...and the "wife beater" type of onesie is all I'd have on...plenty cool! And lots of people will wear just that, a Tank top and shorts...doesn't look outa place a bit.

Now, not sure if you want to teach or have an ic cabin, it tends to make kids uncomfortable to picked on...

When i was in Boy Scouts as a kid, the troupe leaders knew, but the general kids didn't...

I hope you have a great time, i know it was fun for me all those years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back