Keto Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Little
I've never really been much for dieting...but then again who is? I don't engorge myself or anything, but i've been eating out a lot lately and put on a few.

Anyway, I like baby formula but the lack of calories kept me from making that fantasy a reality. baby formula expires after about a month of being open, so i couldnt really use it occasionally either. Finally, I thought I could use it to just shave off some calories.

Last month for a few days I tried having formula in place of 1 or 2 meals here and there and took some vitamins to make up for nutes the formula is kinda low on, and in the low iron formula i used, i wasn't anywhere near any OD levels of anything.
But i started having a severe case of brain fog. I couldnt concentrate, i constantly wanted to sleep, and i kept forgetting stuff. (like walking into the kitchen and forgetting why.) So i stopped.

I just heard that brain fog and sleepyness is a symptom of Keto Flu, which can happen if you suddenly change your diet. Right now i'm on the fence...I want my baba, but i'm worried that maybe i'm misdiagnosing it. Does anyone else have any better experience with dieting withdrawal symptoms? :sad:

That doesn't sound like the Keto flu thing specifically, but it does sound a little bit like you're not getting enough nutrients. You can get the same effect (brain fog, tiredness) from skipping lunch for a couple days, so what's probably happening is that the formula and the rest of your meals are a big enough loss compared to before that your body is not feeling like it's getting the energy it needs daily. I'd especially guess that you're a little low on protein there based on what you're describing.

If I might make a suggestion for healthier weight loss, consider adding in an extra 30 minutes of cardio exercise daily (can just be a brisk walk, or you can run, do jumping jacks, martial arts, bike, whatever), and then cut the portions of your meals very slightly. If you want a bottle, have that with a regular meal that has less total food in it so that you're getting a balanced diet with solid food and formula, but less food overall.

ArchieRoni said:
That doesn't sound like the Keto flu thing specifically, but it does sound a little bit like you're not getting enough nutrients. You can get the same effect (brain fog, tiredness) from skipping lunch for a couple days, so what's probably happening is that the formula and the rest of your meals are a big enough loss compared to before that your body is not feeling like it's getting the energy it needs daily. I'd especially guess that you're a little low on protein there based on what you're describing.

If I might make a suggestion for healthier weight loss, consider adding in an extra 30 minutes of cardio exercise daily (can just be a brisk walk, or you can run, do jumping jacks, martial arts, bike, whatever), and then cut the portions of your meals very slightly. If you want a bottle, have that with a regular meal that has less total food in it so that you're getting a balanced diet with solid food and formula, but less food overall.
I was thinking that too at first, but right before I stopped i didn't know if I was sick or what, so I waited for the fog to clear. I'd eat breakfast and lunch like normal. (Cereal, hotdogs, sandwiches, etc.) But after drinking a meal of formula the symptoms would suddenly start again.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

SleepyTyrant said:
I was thinking that too at first, but right before I stopped i didn't know if I was sick or what, so I waited for the fog to clear. I'd eat breakfast and lunch like normal. (Cereal, hotdogs, sandwiches, etc.) But after drinking a meal of formula the symptoms would suddenly start again.

Hmm. Well, props for empirical testing. What brand of formula are you using and what are the ingredients/nutrition info? You're probably getting beyond my expertise, and that of most people who aren't professionals in nutrition, but maybe there's something weird that one of us here can recognize as causing a problem.

Yeah, nothing jumps out at me, sorry about that. Could be that something in there among the various oils and such doesn't agree with you, but maybe somebody who knows more about this than I do can chime in.

I experienced some fairly severe brain fog recently after not eating very much for a few weeks (digestive issues). It got bad enough that I had a friend bring me to the ER, though they weren't able to diagnose the issue there (insert snarky comment about the quality of the local health care). So (as is so often the case) I've been self-diagnosing and experimenting... and in my case, the issue appears to be protein deficiency. When I eat high-protein foods, such as Greek yogurt, I feel noticeably better several hours later. I noticed that a single serving of the formula you linked includes 2.2g of protein, which is ~4% RDI. Certainly nowhere near enough to replace a meal, which should be closer to 33% RDI. That might be the culprit.

Sapphyre said:
I experienced some fairly severe brain fog recently after not eating very much for a few weeks (digestive issues). It got bad enough that I had a friend bring me to the ER, though they weren't able to diagnose the issue there (insert snarky comment about the quality of the local health care). So (as is so often the case) I've been self-diagnosing and experimenting... and in my case, the issue appears to be protein deficiency. When I eat high-protein foods, such as Greek yogurt, I feel noticeably better several hours later. I noticed that a single serving of the formula you linked includes 2.2g of protein, which is ~4% RDI. Certainly nowhere near enough to replace a meal, which should be closer to 33% RDI. That might be the culprit.
I was drinking about 20-24oz at a time, and each serving size is 5oz; which still puts me below that 33%. So, maybe =s

SleepyTyrant said:
I was drinking about 20-24oz at a time, and each serving size is 5oz; which still puts me below that 33%. So, maybe =s

Oh, you were having 4-5 servings at once. That might be too much of some stuff. I'd look at vitamin A and some of the metals (like the copper) to see if you're having too much.

i looked every nutritional fact once i thought it might be a deficiency and bought vitamins that fell below the 50% on the daily requirements.(based it on having formula for 3 meals a day for the sake of making the numbers easy.) i also outlined everything that went over; unfortunately i didnt save the file. =/

copper for example has a daily req of 900mcg, and becomes unsafe around 10,000mcg. 2 bottles of 24oz (most of the time i only drank 20), gets me close to 900 and i never had more than 2 in a day.

vitamin A's reccomended amount is 3000ui and becomes unsafe around 10,000ui, with me getting 2880iu from 2 bottles of 24oz.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/vitamins-minerals-how-much-should-you-take#1

Last edited:
Not he keto flu, that deals with the transition into a ketogenic state where one switches their body's primary energy source from carbs to fats (essentially) and is not just a blanket term for diet change. You're simply experiencing a calorie deficit. Baby food isn't meant to be a primary food source for adults, silly - eat like an big person!

If you want to lose weight, then be smart about it. Raise testosterone levels via weight training and make sure you've earned your carbs! You don't get to eat lil debbies just because they're in the house.

Be safe SleepyTyrant :) if you want to talk about diet or excessive I'd love to, it's basically my life!

Wittle said:
Not he keto flu, that deals with the transition into a ketogenic state where one switches their body's primary energy source from carbs to fats (essentially) and is not just a blanket term for diet change. You're simply experiencing a calorie deficit. Baby food isn't meant to be a primary food source for adults, silly - eat like an big person!

If you want to lose weight, then be smart about it. Raise testosterone levels via weight training and make sure you've earned your carbs! You don't get to eat lil debbies just because they're in the house.

Be safe SleepyTyrant :) if you want to talk about diet or excessive I'd love to, it's basically my life!

drank another 8oz bottle of the stuff last week, and had severe brain fog from that as well.
so, it cant be keto flu or a deficiency; it's completely reactionary, and i believe it may be causing brain inflammation. when i'm all foggy i feel like i have sinus pressure but i can breathe fine. definitely throwing it away.

one article i read on brain fog said that inflammation can be caused by safflower oil, and the formula does have "high oleic safflower oil" as an ingredient...so maybe that's the cause?

SleepyTyrant said:
drank another 8oz bottle of the stuff last week, and had severe brain fog from that as well.
so, it cant be keto flu or a deficiency; it's completely reactionary, and i believe it may be causing brain inflammation. when i'm all foggy i feel like i have sinus pressure but i can breathe fine. definitely throwing it away.

one article i read on brain fog said that inflammation can be caused by safflower oil, and the formula does have "high oleic safflower oil" as an ingredient...so maybe that's the cause?

Hmm it's possible, I'm not sure though. It's possible you could have an allergy to something in it as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back