Hot weather & Nappies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinPeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi all, I'm just wondering if any Diaper Lovers have an issue with hot weather, to cut to the chase I hate hot weather, in my opinion it just isn't comfortable at all, yet so many people seem to love it.

The problem is I really want to wear a Nappy as Nappies are my ultimate escape from my depression etc, it is like I really strongly need them.

I'm just wondering if any of you get too hot whilst wearing, for some reason I am sweating so severely it is unbelievable, but I really need a nice comforting Nappy as I only get to wear 1 per day as it is and I spend all the rest of the time waiting and waiting to put one on and just feel comfy.

I am just ranting about the horrible hot weather here guys, I guess I'll only know until I put one on tonight but the other night I had to take my Nappy off in the middle of the night and I was just gutted :(

My depression is so bad lately that putting a Nappy on is only what helps me, it is like I really need the comforting feeling a Nappy gives me that I can't explain.

So yeah, I am extremely sorry if this Thread appears as stupid and unnecessary, I am just wondering what you guys do in horrible, hot weather, do you just simply put up with the heat and enjoy the comfort of a Nappy? Or do you decide to just not wear until it is cool enough of a night time?

I am sweating so badly but I am not severely overweight, as far as I know I am not diabetic (sweating severely is a symptom of diabetes????) I had blood tests in the past and I was not diagnosed as diabetic but to be really honest, the rate that I swear just isn't normal.

Maybe it is because of alcohol, most likely. I drink loads of water, like too much water, my most latest discovery is that you actually need "electrolyte" drinks to hydrate the body instead of plain water.

I don't know guys, I just really need a Nappy :(

Try investing in an air conditioner, especially if this for night time issues. Even if not padded, I hate a hot room when trying to sleep. An A/C will make it better for you.

wear cloth backed ones?

Last edited:
They make a portable air conditioner that looks like a tower speaker. It has a hose with a plastic rectangle at the end. The rectangle is adjustable and goes in your window sill. The water drains through the tube and out your window. The air conditioner is relatively light and you can move it around the house. Just plug it in and vent it through a nearby window. I think they cost several hundred dollars, maybe around $250. or $300.

My house has central air so I can wear during the day if I want, but it is more uncomfortable during the summer, especially if one goes outside. I often go bicycling in the early morning. I wear a cloth diaper and then wear my black bike shorts over the diaper. I'll wet my diaper and it doesn't show on the black shorts. The shorts are loose fitting, at least the outer shell is. The inner shell is tight. That way I can wear a diaper out in public, fly through the woods and enjoy the whole experience. When I get back, I take my shower and start me day, usually not diapered.

You just have to find some ways that work for you. I live in Virginia and it gets darn hot in the summer, sometimes up to 100 f.

dogboy said:
They make a portable air conditioner that looks like a tower speaker. It has a hose with a plastic rectangle at the end. The rectangle is adjustable and goes in your window sill. The water drains through the tube and out your window. The air conditioner is relatively light and you can move it around the house. Just plug it in and vent it through a nearby window. I think they cost several hundred dollars, maybe around $250. or $300.

My house has central air so I can wear during the day if I want, but it is more uncomfortable during the summer, especially if one goes outside. I often go bicycling in the early morning. I wear a cloth diaper and then wear my black bike shorts over the diaper. I'll wet my diaper and it doesn't show on the black shorts. The shorts are loose fitting, at least the outer shell is. The inner shell is tight. That way I can wear a diaper out in public, fly through the woods and enjoy the whole experience. When I get back, I take my shower and start me day, usually not diapered.

You just have to find some ways that work for you. I live in Virginia and it gets darn hot in the summer, sometimes up to 100 f.

I have one of those for the Den room window downstairs.

dogboy said:

Oh buddy. You should try Louisiana lol. It sucks. Especially when the mosquitoes (our state bird!) come out to play. I tend to keep my diaper wearing activities indoors basically from April to September.

As a side note, I'm somewhat thinking of getting a summer home in Canada later in life. :chin:

Prior to being IC I generally found that yeah, it was a lot more stressful being diapered in summer.

Since IC, of course, I just have to deal with it.

You also get used to it after a year or two, but only after you've been wearing 24/7.

I moved from Michigan to Florida to get away from the extreme cold. Unfortunately that mean my blood was pretty thick and I wasn't used to the heat and humidity. The first two years I sweat horribly during the summer, but eventually my body adapted and my sweating slowed down. I no longer sweat down there unless I'm out in 100 degree weather for an hour plus.

it's also not necessary to AC the entire house. Just get a small window unit and install in a bedroom window and close the door at night. That's what I did before I had central air.

I had a huge AC unit in the living room and moved the other smaller one into the bedroom and turned it on. Turned the main one in the LR off and closed the door and went to bed.

Woke up around 1am to the room FREEZING cold, had to crank the AC unit way down.

FYI those tower units work fine for portable heat, but they have an impossible job when trying to cool, they have to dump the heat somewhere. Unlike a window unit, all they can do is dump the heat out the back. And being low efficiency like any AC unit is, they generate a lot of their own heat. So you quickly end up warming the room up. They may spot-cool a small area, but the rest of the room will get significantly warmer. It's like trying to bail out the boat by bailing the water from one end of the boat to the other, while adding a hole in the boat.

I'm not a great fan of scorching temps either so in summer I make compromises about nappy choices. My preference both indoors and out is for plastic backed premiums, inside a support panty, with full cut waterproof pants over the top. I don't mind the bulk, I never have leak worries and the plastic pants help keep smells in when messy. As the weather warms up I abandon the plastic pants and switch to hybrid plastic / fabric-style nappies such as the iD slip, Kolibri Comslip or Tena, all of which have their pros and cons for different situations. I would not switch to a fully fabric-style nappy or any lower absorbency than these though. I change more often both due to the increased likelihood of leaks and faster ammonia formation, and sometimes pre-damp the nappy if my urine output is going to be unavoidably low and concentrated, to help keep it fresh.

At first, having got used to the security of plastic pants and the early warning they give of leg leaks, and nothing less than a Molicare or M4 inside, doing a wee in public wearing just the hybrid was terrifying. Having gained confidence and an accurate measure of the limits of these particular nappies, I can go once or twice in close company of others without too much worry, after which it's usually time for a change anyway. Messes are noticeably smellier without the plastic pants and I dare not sit in them unless firm and not too large. A few have come very close to soiling my shorts having filled the leg gathers, but so far there have not actually been any disasters so I am happy to continue with the hybrids.

At home, when the A/C is on, I sometimes stick with the hybrids but use a full night nappy to ensure a relaxing, worry-free sleep.

MartinPeters said:
I drink loads of water, like too much water, my most latest discovery is that you actually need "electrolyte" drinks to hydrate the body instead of plain water.
you don't need those faddy drinks, just increase your use of normal table salt (i know what the government says, but look at all the bollocks they've spouted over the years, just so they can make profit from us.
a normal british diet will do you fine. hell, even those cheap-n-nasty donner kebabs are healthier than owt the government sells.)
and what they don't tell you is that the 'famed' mediterranean that they're always going on about includes salt with practically everything: salt on toast, salt on chocolate, etc. so, go and get thyself a chip butty, with plenty of salt and vinegar.

i used to have a portable air-con unit, such as those from B&Q, but they aren't worth the hassle nor the expense of running them. houses in the UK just aren't designed for such things.

as far cooling goes, water is your friend (them with water meters'll be kicking themselves :biggrin:). i put the paddling pool out, last night, and it's spot on for having a quick cool down. you can use a bowl for your feet, if that's all you have; it still works.

as far as nappies go, looser is better (as ever). dispies are problematic because they have to be worn with some degree of close-fittingness, but with a trad nappy, you can let it all hang loose, along with loose-fitting plackies.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys, I tried to wear one last night but I was so stressed out from how hot it was I couldn't enjoy it at all, ended up taking it off, I don't even think it was the Nappy making me extra hot because even when I just put normal underwear on it took me hours and hours to finally sleep, for some reason I just took it off as I was thinking "I seriously need to get to sleep so I'll try and see if I'm cooler without a Nappy on" but honestly it didn't make any difference, it's just hard to explain, I thought it was making me too hot, I luckily had some free time to myself this morning so I enjoyed a bit of comfort in one for a while.

But Thank You for all the advice I am more than greatful.

As an FYI, the portable a/c units are definetly less efficient but can be effective in smaller room. As for venting and heat produced, the heat goes out the back of the unit via a wide exhaust house that should be placed against an open window. The hose should have a plastic frame to hold the hose flush against the window and keeps the heat out. So little if any hot exhaust air should come into the room. I have used this type of unit in my family room as we only have casement windows that don't allow a window A/C and it is much better than nothing.
If you are hot even without a diaper on, then it sounds like you need to cool the room down one way or another.

It seems to me that they make both types of in-room small A/Cs - some that exhaust out a window and some that don't. Typically the bigger the unit, the more likely it is vented out the window.

I too am under the impression they make two types of in-room small A/C’s. However, I think both exhaust hot air out a window. Difference being, one has a second hose to draw in air from the outside to replace exhausted air where the other uses room air. The two hose unit is thought to be the superior unit.

In my experience, if one can afford it a ductless mini-split is far better at cooling a single room or area of a house.

- - - Updated - - -

Growing up a generally diapered bed-wetter in the fifties prior to air-conditioning, mom more than once let me sleep without a diaper and plastic pant when it was very hot. And you know, at the time I kind of enjoyed waking to the coolness of a wet bed. Not that it bothered me, but it seemed the aroma of a wetting was far more prevalent when my room was hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back