Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby sitting (normal)...

Default baby sitting (normal)...

i put it here instead of off topic since you are teens but i guese moving it wouldn't be bad.

ok is baby sitting little kids hard? what are your experiences? and what are good tips?

i realy have no clue what to do.

Oh, you have to babysit? Awesome.

I've never done it, though I've thought a lot about doing it.

I don't know what to say, except be nice, and don't let them stay up too late!

--The Silent Assassin--

secretdl26

This might be in the wrong section, but, whatever.

I've only babysat a few times, with my godparent's grandson.

He was about 6,7,8 the times I babysat him

I think it's mostly about keeping them occupied, having a good time. Find some activities that you both like doing and that will occupy a good amount of time. Watching TV is OK, as is watching a movie, but that shouldn't be the only thing you do.

Erm put them in a room full of toes and speak nonsense seems to work for me, even though i end up getting covered in toys at the end

Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    Erm put them in a room full of toes and speak nonsense seems to work for me, even though i end up getting covered in toys at the end
    room full of toes????

Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    put them in a room full of toes
    don't you think that would just upset them?

babysitting is fun. they're already predisposed to thinking you're cool because you're this glamorous older kid, so just act really friendly and pretend to be interested in all their toys and stuff and they'll adore you. ask them to show you their room, and chances are you'll get sucked into some game or other and it'll be their bedtime before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    babysitting is fun. they're already predisposed to thinking you're cool because you're this glamorous older kid, so just act really friendly and pretend to be interested in all their toys and stuff and they'll adore you. ask them to show you their room, and chances are you'll get sucked into some game or other and it'll be their bedtime before you know it.

Dont forget to give them their own lil' nickname... and all that nonsense.
    Talk to them about how the feel about things, what they wanna do when they get older, etc. Children adjust much better to people who are curious about them, and like to know what they think.

Urhm, it depends on the age, doesnt it?

When kids are like pre-5, then most babysitting you'll do will be after they're in bed. Parent with young children tend to only go out for a few hours, and the child will already be in bed. You just have to sit and check on them occassionally, maybe read them a story and give them a hug if they wake up and want their mummy.

Once they reach 5 or around that age, the parents will likely start going out for longer, or you'll get asked in during the day on weekends, because the parents feel they can leave their child for a bit longer without being pined for, and also because this is the age that children stop being classed as babies, and so aren't welcome for adult gatherings. You need to start occupying them, playing games with them.

It's also really important to find out the usual bedtime routine, and stick to it, or else they'll try to take advantage of you. Most children are really canny by this age. It also helps to be aware of house rules, and to stick to them yourself.

After children reach 11/12 most of them want to play outside (weather permitting) or go to a friends house, or have a friend over. Check beforehand if this is allowed/normally happens. If it does then just let them. A lot of children around this age, or a little younger enjoy putting on plays and suchlike, so suggest to them something they could do if they complain about being bored, then give them some sacks or props to make costumes with. Of course, this give you a good hour to read or watch TV, *and* you get the treat of watching the play :P

And then they turn into moody teenagers and they start to babysit themselves. And of course because they've had such a wonderful babysitter as you, they in turn will be awesome babysitters, which will result in generation after generation of well turned out individuals.

angelabauer

I am the second oldest of 4 gals. My oldest sister Penny was a natural babysitter. When she was 9 she took over changing my diapers on trips. When Penny was 12 our Aunt Betsy had kids old enough to require a babysitter, usually Penny.

Because I did not relate well to younger kids I was not expected to babysit. So it came as a big surprise one afternoon the month before I left for university that Aunt Betsy asked me to babysit. Penny was on a trip. It turned out her son Matt, then 9, still needed to be diapered for bed. Matt did not object when Penny did this, even then, because she was 22. He rejected all the younger gals, but grudgingly accepted me because I was 17.

I had diapered my younger sisters a few times years before, and diapered myself each night, but I had never diapered a boy. Our Mom was completely anti-spanking. Aunt Betsy was pro-spanking, telling me to do that to Matt if he gave me any trouble. Her daughter Carole had been dry for years. The youngest boy, Nathan still needed night diapers. It turned out to be no big deal. The kids all wanted to know about the university, which was so far from our community in Southern California. I had all of them in bed before their bedtimes easily.

Babysittings easy, unless you get a really smart one. I had to babysit my dad's friend's son for three days last summer. He's six years old and probably smarter than me. He wasn't interested in action figures or playing hide and seek like any other six year old. No, this kid wanted to play this trivia game he had based on
    Planet Earth. He schooled me.

We got into some pretty big philisophical conversations too. By the end he was explaining to me why he didn't believe in God.

Kids like that are impossible to trick, so they're no fun at all.