Can someone explain furries for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I find furries a bit unusual, and a bit weird, but so is having a diaper fetish so I don't judge in that aspect, I just want to understand why furries are furries and what furries are?

I just gather there people who like to dress up as animals and role play? It's just one of those things that has me a bit interested in what they are.

So I have a few questions.

What are furries?
What are diaper furs?

Why do they wear full on animal suits, why do some just wear little ears and be like cats?

Is it a childhood thing, like diapers, why is it so popular compared to diapers?

Is it that they want to be cute animals? or is it just a frame of mind, (like being little) and just simply wanting to be in a animal frame of mind?

Just curious, don't take this as an attack or anything, I'm interested in understanding furries a bit more, I only know a little information on them.

I find it unusual as I'm not a furry, in the same way that non-littles and non-ABDLs find diapers and diaper fetishism weird / unusual. (I don't hate it or anything) It's just interesting. I'm interested in learning a little about it.

That being said I've noticed a lot of negative press / hate more towards furries than ab/dls so that kind of has me interested in learning more about furries and what they are since the AB/DL community and furries can cross over I suppose, ie diaperfurs.

A good place to start: wikipedia

The term "furry" is a little bit nebulous because it is so broad and inclusive, but basically it's someone who likes anthropomorphic non-human characters and takes one on as their "fursona". Usually they're anthropomorphic versions of real animals like foxes (think Disney's Robin Hood, or Nick Wilde from Zootopia), but they can also be fictional creatures like dragons (that don't even have any fur!). I have a friend whose fursona is a "weretiger". By and large, the subculture leans toward an interest in cuteness, and hugs are more common than handshakes (pawshakes?). The fursuits are a way for them to embody and express their fursona more directly, by coming as close as humanly possible to living as their fursona. It's not terribly different in that respect from LARPing, except it's in a social setting rather than playing a RPG, and the characteristics of the costume are much more personal and customized.

Do they want to be cute (anthropomorphic) animals? Well, some do, some just like to play the role. There's a lot of variation within the furry community so it's hard to make generalizations. I hope this helps a little. ^.^

LittleJess said:
What are furries?

People who feel their personality more entwined with that of animals'. It's mostly a roleplay thing.

What are diaper furs?

Diaper lovers who are also furries.

Why do they wear full on animal suits, why do some just wear little ears and be like cats?

That's pretty much the closest way for a person to actually become their fursona, but it is a preference. Also, fursuits are really expensive.

Is it a childhood thing, like diapers, why is it so popular compared to diapers?

Because animals are cute, which is a more common opinion than liking diapers.

Is it that they want to be cute animals? or is it just a frame of mind, (like being little) and just simply wanting to be in a animal frame of mind?

It's mostly for roleplaying like I said, so this is pretty much correct.

That being said I've noticed a lot of negative press / hate more towards furries than ab/dls so that kind of has me interested in learning more about furries and what they are since the AB/DL community and furries can cross over I suppose, ie diaperfurs.

Because we're all just genuinely awful of people who whine and push their interests on other people, babyfurs who go to cons and mess in public, people who actually want to fuck animals, and straight-up stupid people, and they all give us a bad name.

Last edited:
ClandestineWing said:
Because we're all just genuinely awful of people who whine and push their interests on other people, babyfurs who go to cons and mess in public, people who actually want to fuck animals, and straight-up stupid people, and they all give us a bad name.

Ah, yeah I understand that every community has a small group of "sickos" who make the entire group look worse than they actually are, ie bronies and cloppers which give the impression the whole group are sickos when it's only 1-2 people.

I guess pamperchu is an extreme example of a sicko making the entire AB/DL community look bad for example.

LittleJess said:
Ah, yeah I understand that every community has a small group of "sickos" who make the entire group look worse than they actually are, ie bronies and cloppers which give the impression the whole group are sickos when it's only 1-2 people.

I guess pamperchu is an extreme example of a sicko making the entire AB/DL community look bad for example.
I'm new to interacting with the ABDL scene online but for some reason, "pamperchu" still sounds eerily familiar. Who was pamperchu?

Wow. I didn't have to dig very deep into that link to immediately see your point! In a way though, it sort of makes me feel a little better about myself. I'm not nearly as freaky as I thought!

Pamperchu was just f(....)ng weird. That gross bastard should not even be on YouTube. Other ABDL that are way better are Mid America Little and Little Loli Kat. Just type in those names and their channels will immediately pop up.

I wonder if I may have run into his content on photo sites. I don't think he was one of the poor pasties makers, like Darth Monkey.

ClandestineWing said:
People who feel their personality more entwined with that of animals'. It's mostly a roleplay thing.

Not exactly correct.

A furry by definition is a person with an interest in anthropomorphic animals. It does not necessarily have anything to do with ''identifying'' with an animal.

Sapphyre said:
A good place to start: wikipedia

The term "furry" is a little bit nebulous because it is so broad and inclusive, but basically it's someone who likes anthropomorphic non-human characters and takes one on as their "fursona". Usually they're anthropomorphic versions of real animals like foxes (think Disney's Robin Hood, or Nick Wilde from Zootopia), but they can also be fictional creatures like dragons (that don't even have any fur!). I have a friend whose fursona is a "weretiger". By and large, the subculture leans toward an interest in cuteness, and hugs are more common than handshakes (pawshakes?). The fursuits are a way for them to embody and express their fursona more directly, by coming as close as humanly possible to living as their fursona. It's not terribly different in that respect from LARPing, except it's in a social setting rather than playing a RPG, and the characteristics of the costume are much more personal and customized.

Do they want to be cute (anthropomorphic) animals? Well, some do, some just like to play the role. There's a lot of variation within the furry community so it's hard to make generalizations. I hope this helps a little. ^.^

Oh, so I'm guessing it's not exactly black and white? So I'm guessing it's a spectrum of sorts? Many different reasons? not so straight fourth?

Interesting :)

Tommycombs said:
I'm new to interacting with the ABDL scene online but for some reason, "pamperchu" still sounds eerily familiar. Who was pamperchu?

Pamperchu was one of our "poster children" for cringe worthy behavior. His clame to infame was microwaving diapers he found in the trash to "steralize them before wearing them. Sadly he isn't the only or even the worst of the ones out there, he's just well know because well his behavior is disgusting.

LittleJess said:
Oh, so I'm guessing it's not exactly black and white? So I'm guessing it's a spectrum of sorts? Many different reasons? not so straight fourth?

Do you like animal cartoons like The Fox and the Hound Bugs Bunny and those type of things that's part of the furry fandom.
Zootopia is really a furry favorite movie out there.
Some some of it is some furry feel linked to their totem animals.
Some like fursuiting kind of like being a clown dressing up and outfits.
The big thing is the furry fandom is most accepting of others in most cases.
But in any group you have some bad apples or someone who's done something they shouldn't have done.
We have a code of rules for the cons for the babyfurs .
You must understand that not all baby Furs wear diapers some it's just a character fursona.

You see there were a few babyfurs at one con long ago.
That messed there pampers in public and wore their diapers openly.
That caused a backlash somewhat.
So the con rules.
No using your diapers in public places.
No exposed diapers under clothing fine.
Leave your motel room clean and double bag your diapers and carry them out to the trash outside.
Tip your Motel staf
That's the gist of it.
Because at one Con they found diapers in the hall and stuff like that.
Now since then some of tried to frame the babyfurs.
At the last rainforest someone spread disposable diapers in the parking lot but it's the disposable diapers that a baby fur would never wear.
So from a couple bad apples we've been kind of shunned.
Not all don't like us most try to get along .
Some furs are very talented people .
I used to fursuit for the joy it brought others and me being in my suit.
Go on YouTube search fursuit parade you will see us having fun.
Try fursuit games also.
Some furs get a bum rap because again it only takes a few where they're dressed up in their fursuits and they're having intimate relations.
But for most they love the art.
MLP some furs love that cartoon it's taken the fandom by storm.

LittleJess said:

Not so much a spectrum as much as a really broad term that includes a lot of different things. At its most basic and least controversial, it's just an enjoyment of art featuring anthropomorphic animals ala robin hood or zootopia. Then within that there are various different and frequently subcategories with varying degrees of acceptance from the broader community. The key point though is that the subcategories are often completely unrelated.

The main reason I started with it is because I wanted art of diapers, but found stuff with people to be really hit or miss. Art with cartoon animals though allows it to be represented as the sort of mental ideal instead of the not quite as great reality. Then I stuck around because after creating a character (I'm avoiding calling it a "fursona" because it's not supposed to actually be me or anything like that), I found it really fun to create collaborative stories and artwork with people.

Maxx said:
OK... I know you're going to be wary...uh-oh.. what the hell is old Maxx doing over here.

Just a quick guest appearance with a genuine question that popped into my head: How do furries regard mascots, and characters at places like Disneyworld? Are they considered kin? Admired as professionals? Disregarded as an accidental resemblance? Envied for making a living at it?

I knew someone who did time as one of the chipmunks (Chip 'n Dale) at Disney. That's kind of why it occurred to me.

As a kid, I never particularly liked people in costumes like that. Or clowns. According to my mom, if Chuck E. Cheese got within 20 yards of me I'd take a fit. I still got my picture taken with the Easter Bunny, but in one I'm looking pretty uneasy with a weird forced smile.

I can't speak for the whole of the furry fandom but for me mascots and the like are pretty much in the ''disregarded'' category. But then again, I have little interest in fursuits either.

I say watch the movie Fursonas it is a movie about.... you guessed it.... furries I watched it online I am pretty sure you can look it up.

it was well done they talked a little about the conventions and some f the more famous furries out there in the community a long with the tyra banks incident I think if I remember correctly anyways worth checking out and watching in my opinion.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Not exactly correct.

A furry by definition is a person with an interest in anthropomorphic animals. It does not necessarily have anything to do with ''identifying'' with an animal.

Yes, IDing with or as a type of animal or even mythical creatures (I personally do myself) is more otherkin. It's also not roleplay to us.

Maxx said:
OK... I know you're going to be wary...uh-oh.. what the hell is old Maxx doing over here.

Just a quick guest appearance with a genuine question that popped into my head: How do furries regard mascots, and characters at places like Disneyworld? Are they considered kin? Admired as professionals? Disregarded as an accidental resemblance? Envied for making a living at it?

I knew someone who did time as one of the chipmunks (Chip 'n Dale) at Disney. That's kind of why it occurred to me.

Search YouTube for telephone & the furry fandom.
She's a favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back