Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is worse? Being called a weirdo or nerd?

Default What is worse? Being called a weirdo or nerd?

We had this discussion at school today. What is worse..being called a weirdo or a nerd (geek..also too)?

I just want to get you all's opinions?

I would say nerd is worse than wierdo. Anyone can be called a wierdo at some point, but a nerd's a nerd for life.

Generally you have to work a little to be called a weirdo. You have to do something genuinely weird, so being called a weirdo is just recognition of that.
    If you're not weird, then it's an empty statement, and you can ask "how so?" to get no answer.

Being called a 'nerd' or 'geek' is a compliment, or at least it was at my school, because it only comes from stupid people and is only aimed at smart people.

Both are as inoffensive as each other in my opinion.
    If I had been called either at school I would have shook my head in disapproval. For an insult to be insulting it has to have a swear word in it (or it has to be a true statement).

No 'cool' person would use either term. Socially, it would be worse to be the person using such words, rather than the person being called them.

Nerd = Someone who is very smart + is good at things like computers, and (sometimes) is a bit of a loner/outcast due to engaging in computer games etc

Geek = Someone who voluntarily revises constantly in order to sty ahead of everyone else and to help their future.

Both are kind of complimentary really - but Nerd is far better --- someone who is always called a geek, because she is insanely smart, yet still revises, called me a Nerd and said "I wish I was a Nerd" - that made me smile =])

Moreover, Weirdo = anybody who does not conform to the "normal state" or what the majority of people do around them e.g most of us here, who are interested in Diapers or something else - we are considered weird among those who Don't have any kinks or among religious people, because it is not normal for them - so it is not derogatory (offensive) in any way

The only thing I'd think if someone called me "weirdo" or "nerd" is that they could have used that breath and that effort to call me something more potentially hurtful, such as "fuckface" or "piece of shit."

Then again, I wouldn't care if they did, so I'd just give them a high-five for effort.

I don't believe there's anything especially bad about being called either a geek, nerd, or weirdo. Those terms as nouns don't carry much weight anymore. In fact, in many circles, since smart is the new cool, the terminology is quite dead. It seems to me that if any of those words are being used as an adjective though, like being called a computer nerd, a music geek, or a drama weirdo, then it sounds more antagonistic from the second person's point of view. It's like using the term to point out a difference from the mainstream populace of a given area (like school). It's not that much different than the term "jock", or "teenie-bopper" as used to parlay a derogatory inference towards the nerd / geek/ weirdo antithesis.

Nerd FTW. Im a nerd when it comes to cars, and when you're good at something, people always come to you. It may have sounded like a demeaning term when we were younger, but it pays (literally) to be a nerd.

a weirdo doesn't pay as much...a circus entertainer maybe, but not as much as the nerds do.

Butterfly Mage

I don't particularly take offense at either, since both are sorta true for me.

Weirdo: gay + Wiccan + dissociative disorder
    Nerd: always carries two cell phones, one netbook, and a MP3 player. Totally digs gadgets.

I figure it's only an insult if it's a lie, heh heh.

I still think that nerd can be and is used as a negative term. It's not just being smart...there are smart people in school that are very popular. It carries a certain social stigma that is someone who doesn't like to have fun, only cares about school, and doesn't have a social life.

For weirdo, I think it depends on the context and also what the person is. A lot of times this one is used in jest when someone is being goofy or says something off the wall, or it may be just that they have some weird habit.

But if someone is really awkward socially, then sometimes they can be called a weirdo when they do something that shows that awkwardness.

Really, with these words, like any words, it all depends on the context and exact situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TallestBabyEver View Post
    Nerd FTW. Im a nerd when it comes to cars, and when you're good at something, people always come to you. It may have sounded like a demeaning term when we were younger, but it pays (literally) to be a nerd.

a weirdo doesn't pay as much...a circus entertainer maybe, but not as much as the nerds do.
    Indeed.

I'm a car nerd too, hence my user name; a Dellorto carburetor model. It's been my career for about 14 years, and now I can proudly say that my car nerddom has been a great benefit to my self esteem. People look to me now for service and repairs because I'm immersed in it. I get asked for info and advise from the DIY'ers because I don't mind shooting myself in the foot to help a fellow fix his own. It just feels good to feel helpful. A technoclutz may see me as a when I wax technical during casual automotive related conversation, but I'm still proud to be what I am*.

*-wish I felt that way about my fetishes.
    Last edited by DHLA40; 08-Apr-2009 at 01:23.