Heating / Cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Remember how I went on about my parents blaming me for the high electricity bills, I did some math, and it turns out that... there is no way I'm making the bill that high, It's all "smokes and mirrors"

Occasionally the bill is $1000, so my mother becomes a energy saver, that's all that is actually happening, she just blames me because I had a heater at the time.

It's all in my parents heads, I did that maths and even the maths proves that it's not possible for me to add 500+600 to the bills, and in fact is just her two heaters being on 24/7.

Only reason the power bill has gone down, is she saw the bill and stopped using her heaters all the time, leaving them on all the time, that's all that it is.

Despite all this, I'm stuck in a boiling hot room in the summer due to there backwards thinking.

I see the power bills, and while yes my portable heater adds to the bill, It's barely anything at the end of the day my heater is about $90 but to be frank, my "rent" covers electricity, so that really shouldn't be a problem...

My mother has two heaters on 24/7 both using somewhere between 4.2 kilowatts

So, I've done the maths and it turns out that, just one of her heaters costs, $728.25? for 19 hours a day. (which she does leave on for that amount of time)

So, if you put two and two together, you kind of know why the bill is $2000 nothing to do with me, It's just flawed thinking. Even than I only use my heater for 2 months out of 12.

At the end of the day It's only adds $90ish?? A YEAR onto the bill, not that much considering how much electricity my mother users just for her stupid heater.

Both my parents are fucking thick.

I'm sure my maths is way off, but if it's correct than that explains everything.

Last edited:
If you're using a heater that draws 4.2 kW, and paying 23c per kWh, then it's costing about $1 per hour. At 19 hours a day, that's $1729 a quarter, or $6916 a year! I presume it's not on for 19 hours a day all year, though.

You know what you should do? Buy a wireless power monitor. You clamp the transmitter round the thick power cables that come into your house by the electricity meter, and you plug in the LCD display elsewhere in the house. It shows you how much electricity you are using at that moment. (Although in practice, it can take a minute for the display to update when you turn something on.)

Anyway, you can plug in this device. Show your mum how much electricity you are using. Then turn on her heaters and watch the number shoot up. That would demonstrate who is really running up the electricity bill.

I have one of these. I got it free, but it's £7.95 on Amazon. I guess you can find something similar in Ausland. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eaga-EMT-01-Energy-Monitor/dp/B004XVLCKO

- - - Updated - - -

Binary said:
I'm sure my maths is way off, but if it's correct than that explains everything.

You'd need to know a few things to make a vaguely decent guess as to how much the heaters cost:

• What is the maximum power output (in W/watts or kW/kilowatts)?
  • What is the average "heat level" setting? (i.e. is the heater set to full power, or turned up halfway, etc. If there's a thermostat, for what proportion of the time is the heater actually heating)?
  • How many hours a day, on average, is the heater on?
  • How much do you pay for a kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity?
If you can answer the above, the maths is fairly straightforward. Give me the numbers and we should be able to come up with a pretty good "guesstimate".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back