Depends vs. Goodnites

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusP

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I had some Depends samples sent to me, the fancy mens underwear style, and noticed how short and flimsy the pad was. I compared the pad to a Goodnites xl, and to my surprise, the goodnite pad was longer and denser than the adult version! I tested and weighed each when saturated, and the childrens pullup held more than the adult. What kind of bizzaro world would do this? Not only that, but the adult version also doesn't have leak guards. I am left to conclude that Depends is only in it for the money, and relies on its customers being ignorant. They value aesthetics over function. While I'm glad they switched their "adjustable underwear" (dumbest euphemism ever) back to plastic, they are now painfully inferior to a plethora of better options available online. They rely on the fact that incontinence protection is a topic most people never think about until they have a problem. It is kind of unethical because many people starting to have incontinence generally go straight to Depends, and never research better options. They often have other health issues that prevent them in one way or another from researching better options. Depends capitalizes on this ignorance and sells an inferior cheap product for a healthy profit.

I don't really understand how this is a revelation for you. Essentially all of the Depend line is designed for light leakage, because stress or urge incontinence are the most common types. The women's line is intended for people with weakened pelvic floor muscles from childbirth and the men's line is intended for people with prostate problems. These products aren't made to take a complete voiding, because that's an uncommon problem in adults.

Despite whatever impressions places like this might give you, this is where the lion's share of the incontinence market is.

Also, since you seem to be unaware, GoodNites and Depend are made by the same company.

MarcusP said:
While I'm glad they switched their "adjustable underwear" (dumbest euphemism ever) back to plastic,.

No... they switched their fitted briefs, the adjustable underwear is still cloth as it has always been, actually has a denser pad too, way back when the briefs used to have a longer pad but they realized they could use one pad for both sm/m and l and save that way so they use basically one pad size for both briefs. Yeah its no secret its about charging the most for the least.

I've been using the depend real fit pull up. Certainly not the best, but I can wet them and get that nice wet feeling and then use the bathroom if a want. I can usually wet a couple or three times if I'm careful. They are also easy to get as you can find them at any pharmacy. The other thing I kind of like about them is that they look the most like a real adult pull up. I wish though, that the padding would go up the back of the diaper more. Wetting while sitting down could be an issue with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back