Is this really a fetish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Sorry if this is a third rail.

I'm starting to think this isn't a fetish. I can't think of a time when I wasn't attracted to diapers. Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?

The "Describe your first diapers" thread really got me thinking about this. Everyone's experiences were from a young age.

Am I crazy? And if it isn't a fetish, what is it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

NMDL, I suspect your post may stir up a bit of a hornets nest in responses!

Here goes my two pennies worth (reposted in part with apologies from a previous post)

Our community tends to polarize their arguments according to where on the spectrum they stand. For some it is purely sexual (and nothing wrong with that at all). That is a fetish. For some (like me) it is not sexual at all (again, nothing wrong with that). For many it's somewhere in the middle. It's how we are wired. I don't believe we can control that.

I get dismayed (and we do see it on this site from time to time) when members of our community (whatever that means) are intolerant to other members and/or towards members of the LGBT community because of their 'differences'. We are all unconventional in our own sweet way!

It's a bit like a transvestite picking a fight with a transgender person or vice versa because of what gives them the compulsion to wear clothes of the opposite sex. It doesn't help the standing of either community. We like to wear nappies/diapers - let's celebrate what is common between us rather than focusing on what distinguishes us.

Kind regards T3ddy

Reactions: CuriousDLUK
NMDL said:
Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?

Of course it can. Puberty isn't some magical point where sexual urges and interest in sex begins. Puberty is just a set of physical changes that will intensify those things.

A fetish doesn't have to be sexual in nature, the definition encompasses a fixation or irrational obsession of an object.

I have loved diapers my entire life also. My earliest memories are around 3-4 years old when I found my old gerber pants and I used to wear them in bed. I distinctly remember getting rock hard then, even though puberty would not come for another decade. I would call that sexual arousal, yes I think even young kids can be aroused. Either that, or I'm abnormal.

fet·ish
ˈfediSH/
noun
1. A form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.

I was sexually attracted to training pants as a young child multiple years before puberty.

In common usage the term fetish does usually apply to sexual attraction to a certain object or situation, but as Venesha pointed out it may also apply to a non-sexual fixation. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fetish

So if you wanted to get technical about it, you could say that anyone fixated on diapers for whatever reason has a diaper fetish - whether that fetish is sexual or not is up to them. With how the phrase is more commonly used though, some people who like diapers for reasons besides sexual arousal probably would prefer not to use the word fetish to describe their interests.

NMDL said:
Is this really a fetish?

I think you first need to define what you mean by "a fetish", then the answer should become more apparent.

NMDL said:
Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?

It depends on your definition, but I don't see why not.

NMDL said:
And if it isn't a fetish, what is it?

As a great philosopher once wrote, "It is what it is."

Venesha said:
A fetish doesn't have to be sexual in nature, the definition encompasses a fixation or irrational obsession of an object.

I did not know that, one reason I rejoined this community was to try and learn more about my self as well as others. I do remember this mentioned in another post I made a while back but it did not just "click" into place till now.
Thanks

^^ I think that's just a colloquial, metaphoric use of the word "fetish".

I've never heard it used to refer to anything other than either an amulet representing a god, or a (non-genital) object of sexual interest.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might have had to narrow of a definition.

ClickyKeys said:
Of course it can. Puberty isn't some magical point where sexual urges and interest in sex begins. Puberty is just a set of physical changes that will intensify those things.

Exactly, well before puberty I used to knead the front of my purposely wet pants till … Had no idea, but it sure felt good.

Reactions: wetaccident
NMDL said:
Thanks for the feedback. I think I might have had to narrow of a definition.

It's my belief that most philosophical disagreements would be resolved if we all agreed on the definition of the words we were using. :-/

I think it's different for every person. I my situation I developed a interest as a adolescent and I would at a younger age it's more of a innocent, non-sexual interest, and not a fetish. I think it can evolve into a fetish when puberty is reached; however, as ClickyKeys stated the sensations could be same that triggered the interest whether we know it or not.

where did you ever get the idea fetishes came from puberty? Also fetish means literally a fixation on an object, not necessarily sexual.

rennecfox said:
where did you ever get the idea fetishes came from puberty? Also fetish means literally a fixation on an object, not necessarily sexual.

Pretty sure in this context we can assume people are using the word "fetish" to specifically refer to a "sexual fetish"

(although for those of us with DL interests prior to puberty, perhaps just "fetish" was more appropriate in the beginning, and it just took on the additional angle at puberty - that's my bet)

Going stricktly by what you describe, and the actual definition of fetish, then no this is definitely not a fetish for you. Unless of course you incorrectly think every dictionary description ever used is still valid, in which case it could also mean a profound devotion as well as magic worship at the same time. Personally I don't believe in magic though, so again that means it is NOT a fetish.

You also sound like the definition of a DL to me. When you love someone you wouldn't call that a fetish, and loving diapers is the same in that regard. Of course, love most certainly can and does include sex with it, so again don't get that confused with only ever having sex in diapers. That's when it is a fetish.

NMDL said:
I can't really answer the first question but the answer to the second question should be obvious by now from all the discussion here. It's a fetish if that's what you want to call it. You can't expect everyone to agree so call it what you will.

Seems kind of funny when you think about it. We don't know what "it" is and we also don't know what "fetish" is, so calling "it" a "fetish" doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere.

My advice: call it a gift. That may be pure BS but it makes it sound more acceptable and fun.

Drifter said:
My advice: call it a gift. That may be pure BS but it makes it sound more acceptable and fun.

Lol, I like that.

I started at age 3...so it was not a fetish until I hit puberty...

NMDL said:
Sorry if this is a third rail.

I'm starting to think this isn't a fetish. I can't think of a time when I wasn't attracted to diapers. Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?

The "Describe your first diapers" thread really got me thinking about this. Everyone's experiences were from a young age.

I started being obsessed with diapers at age 3. Basically I had no interest in potty training. I am a female. My parents were not amused by my fascination and refused to provide me with diapers. I would steal them from baby diaper bags if anyone brought a baby to our house. When I was I started making my own by taking a plushy stuffed animal, cutting it open, removing the fluff and then laying it into a white trash bag and stapling the sides. I would use regular tape to close it. I would wear it alone in the bathroom and pee in it while sitting on the open toilet seat. I knew my invention would not hold a real wetting. At age 8 I began shoplifting baby diapers in the largest size and they would fit me. Finally I bought them when I got my first job at 16. I died and went to heaven when I discovered Bambino Diapers in 2010. I am 42yo now and see no end in sight. I have over 50 ABDL styled diapers in my current stash. For me, it became a sexual fetish at age 18. I can't ever be out of them or I get majorly depressed. I have been abstinent for 13 years and diapers have taken the place of sex with a male partner.:bowrofl:

I'm thinking the real issue here is that some of us (myself included) just don't like the word, "fetish". Maybe it's because it's a creepy word, with creepy connotations. Or maybe that's simply my narrow perception of it. For many of us, this is an intense desire that goes back to the earliest memories. Hence the reason we may not want to think of it as a purely kinky sex thing we're into. But I think that word carries that idea behind it and we may want to separate what we consider genuine personal feelings with the more public definition of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back