Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrift stores...

Default Thrift stores...

So after reading the "flea market" thread the other day, I decided I'd take some time to look around here at some thrift stores and see if I could find any diapers. The only flea market around here I've already scoped out... No diapers.

I had a rare weekday day off today, with absolutely nothing to do, so after printing a page or two of addresses from thethriftshopper.com for the GPS, I set out. In all I went to 7 thrift shops, two Salvation Armys, a Building 19, a Goodwill, and a St. Vincent DePaul. What did I find?

Nothing.

After I came home I even called pretty much every thrift shop within a 50 mile radius on Yahoo yellow pages. Still nothing. Plenty of Pack 'n Plays, strollers, etc., and lots of clothes, but no diapers.

I've read about others here and elsewhere finding "gold mines" of diapers at thrift/goodwill type stores all the time, yet as many times as I check, I never find anything. Best I've found was a couple cases of Abrilet size stuffers at Building 19 once.

So is it just luck, or is there some strategy I'm not comprehending? The stores I went to were in the Lowell/Lawrence/Methuen MA area, and not exactly in the best area of town... Better to go to thrift stores in more affluent areas?

TIA for any ideas... Some people like to go antiquing, but sometimes I will take a few hours and go for a drive looking for diapers. Today was the first time I've done it in years, and even though I didn't find anything (I did get a set at one place to serve nachos/dip... It looked cool ) it was a lot of fun. In the past I've found two packs of plastic covered diapers at convenience stores (Billy's in Methuen, MA, and a store outside of Lebanon, NH), but never at a thrift shop.

Hey Jay,

You and I live in the same basic area, I am a bit north of you though travel by your area every weekday. I also do stop in to goodwills and salvation armys from time to time, and have rarely found any diapers. Once in a while however i do find sleepers, I got a great winnie the pooh sleeper from the goodwill in Portsmouth, but i think you need to be lucky on those kind of things.

I have found some good deals at the building 19 stores once in a while and have had a decent lucky with big lots when it comes to goodnites/pullups type of diapers but thats about it sadly.

Hope you have better luck than I with the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NEJay View Post
    ... Some people like to go antiquing, but sometimes I will take a few hours and go for a drive looking for diapers. Today was the first time I've done it in years
    LOL, that sounds funny. Imagine telling someone that matter-of-factly, "I like to browse diaper stores, looking for good deals. Some have their antiques, art, etc., and I have my diaper hobby."

It would be fun though. If I found some quality diapers at an overstock store or something, I'd be tempted to buy them - like the allure of getting such a great deal on them is just as fun as the wearing.

I saw some at the old Middletown Goodwill in the ladies sleepwear section once. I chickened out on buying then as I already had a handfull of teen girls clothes for my dolls. I hit the CT area Goodwills regulary and never saw any again.

Edit;
    Nice avatar! You & Pojo out for a swim?
    Still I miss the bacon.

My wife and I are going to hit three thrift stores during Spring break looking for toddler clothes for our one year old grandson. If I see any diapers I will report back, but I doubt that I will.

I have in the past seen half used packages of... er... rather packages that were donated halfway through the bag at my local thrift store. I hope they weren't used anyway. They were typically about 2 to 5 dollars but that store is privately owned and not part of a chain which may be part of it.

Seeing those diapers always makes me somewhat depressed though. It's the knowledge that they were probably donated because a family member passed away when they were halfway through the pack and the family didn't know what else to do with them. Though being less dramatic it could be because regained continence after some medical trauma and no longer needed them. Or perhaps I'm simply thinking too deeply about the origin of these diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by blues_clues_baby View Post
    Hey Jay,

You and I live in the same basic area, I am a bit north of you though travel by your area every weekday. I also do stop in to goodwills and salvation armys from time to time, and have rarely found any diapers. Once in a while however i do find sleepers, I got a great winnie the pooh sleeper from the goodwill in Portsmouth, but i think you need to be lucky on those kind of things.

Hope you have better luck than I with the hunt.
    I'm also in the area, a bit closer to Boston. No luck for me, either. Maybe it's just the area?

Default Adult diapers in thrift stores

:bunny: Fortunately, I live in an area that has been a relocation destination for retirees looking for a beautiful area (mountains, rivers, forests, easy access to the Oregon Coast, etc.)

It may be for this reason that all of the thrift stores within a 100 mile radius ALWAYS have some adult diapers to purchase. Some times on the way back from a camping trip, I'll stop at thrift stores in towns along the way. Last trip (with the car overloaded to the gills, I still managed to get three 18 packs of unopened diapers for $15.00. (they barely fit in the trunk).

Oh, by the way, Pojo, you'll usually find adult diapers in the women's clothing section or on a shelf with medical care or bath care items. Once you find them in a particular thrift store, look in that area each time you go. Best of luck. :bunny:

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteBedlam View Post
    Seeing those diapers always makes me somewhat depressed though. It's the knowledge that they were probably donated because a family member passed away when they were halfway through the pack and the family didn't know what else to do with them. Though being less dramatic it could be because regained continence after some medical trauma and no longer needed them. Or perhaps I'm simply thinking too deeply about the origin of these diapers.
    It isn't that dramatic! We did it a few times when family flew in to visit. It costs way to much to pack them in and out so when family member fly in you buy a bag, then when they leave you end up with half of them unused.

As far as thrift stores go it all depends on what they take. A lot of thrift stores won't put stuff like that out. When it comes to other stuff like clothing location is key. Just like garage sales the best thrift stores to shop at are in the nicer neighborhoods. The more upscale the are the more kickass the thrift store.