Hot weather comfort in plastic-backed diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inconsurferdude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
It's finally starting to heat up where I live, and this will be my first summer in diapers after switching from pull-ups late last year. I experimented with several brand and combinations during the first couple of months, and settled on plastic-backed Attends with waistband, the ones that have three tapes. I recently started using Tena Overnight pads with slits cut in them as a stuffer most days, and have started purchasing larger pants to accommodate the additional padding. I use baby powder and wipes (but no cream) every time I change, and I drink lots of water to combat odor. The Attends are loud, but I work in a noisy environment and everyone in my personal life knows about my incontinence, so that's not much of an issue. It's been a comfortable setup, and I finally have a routine... I especially prefer plastic-backed diapers, so switching to cloth-backed isn't an ideal option.

How do you guys manage the sticky feeling, and the chafing while walking? I also would like a way to deal with the sweat that gathers in between the waistband, above the padding. I've tried using more powder, which helps for awhile, but it always turns into a sludgy paste by the time I change. I've also tried going without the stuffer, but usually the Attends clump faster and the added wetness adds to the discomfort. I haven't had a rash so far (like since I started wearing) and I use oatmeal soap when I shower... I've also tried not using body lotion for a few days (which helped a lot) but I noticed a difference in shaving and got bumps… I shave smooth every day, every two days at most. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and I'll look through the forums some more as well :)

Hmm well I've never had the issue with heat as much as you but I do have terribly dry skin. I use cera ve lotion everyday after I shower. I think that, and powder and cream applied generously, prevents major skin issues and chafing for me. As for the heat? I tend to use a thinner diaper (well as thin as I can manage) for terribly hot days. Usually a tena slip maxi or tranquility ATN although I do need to monitor my wetness more closely, as they're not as thick as my usual diapers. I'm lucky I'm a girl because hot days plus a sundress plus diapers is great (I mean you could wear a dress too screw gendered clothing haha)

Don't wear anything over them :)

I live in Florida USA I just use extra powder, but don't use so much that I have mud. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I experimented a little bit last summer when I wore out...the only thing I could really find to help with chafing was to wear a park of briefs over the diaper. As far as sweat goes...I'm a fairly big guy and I sweat a lot. The only thing that I've found to help with it is this stuff called certain dri, its an antiperspirant that you roll on at night and it works really well. Its pretty cheap (like maybe $5-$6) and a bottle of it will last a while.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sometimes wear the same setup as you, calmoseptine helps alot, also powder for the odor and chafing.

what I do is wear lose fitting shorts and that's about it, I find friction rash much worse in cloth-likes no matter what temp it is in and find I can go longer in a plastic one then clothlike, but mainly I just wear thin and lose fitting clothing and ware the same plastic diaper as I do in the winter.
One thing I have noticed is on cloth-like the only breathable part are only from the sides, the center of the diaper still have a plastic under sheet with just the shitty spun poly over it.
I does suck wearing diapers in the summer but for me I still stick with plastic, the cloth-like just fee; the same with the added friction rash from a lot of walking
but it's no secret that I despise cloth-like in any and everyway. at lest in a plastic diaper the sweat from my legs just has extera lubercation so it slides better agents my skin

when I comes to a tape on diapers I have a fairly high level hatred to cloth-like
I don't care about the pull up style being clothlike as that works well for people,but when they change a tape on diaper to clothlike I have a strong feeling of breathing fire at the engineer that made it, if they had to wear what they make then I would hope that tape on plastic diaper still has a strong place in the open market

I always wear boxer briefs over the diapers in the summer. I tend to switch between A+D Generic creams and Gel Oil, and always have powder. Sometimes I use the desitin, but my body tends to get too used to that and doesn't always work. What I found is if I just use powders, chaffing or diaper rash rears its ugly head, so have to use either the gel oil or the A+D creams. The only cloth backed ones that I ever felt comfortable with were the Northshore ones or the ID Slip ones that XP Medical quit carrying. Fit Right were very comfortable but absorbency was always the problem. Having a diaper that pulls wetness away helps a ton, I don't think I could wear Attends or ATN, they almost always leave too much wetness for me. The plastic backed Tena Slips that Bambino started to carry again do pretty good for me and I find I don't have to wear a onesie to keep it from showing. Otherwise my other go to diapers have been the iD Slips from XP Medical or the Northshore Care Supreme ones, they just have a lot more absorbency, so its kind of a waste when I change those at lunch.

I find it helps to re-apply powder to the leg loops and waistband, just put a little on your hand and run it round the lip of the diaper. Don't use too much but just little and often helps keep the sweat and heat down. Try to keep your body cool also, lower your body temperature by opening windows and using a fan. Maybe wear loser more breathable clothing also? Hope the tips help!

What I do is while I swap back in forth between disposable and cloth most of the year, I go 100% cloth during the hot months. Cloth is so much cooler when it is hot out.

also, considering your incontinence is more drippage, you probably could get by with some prevails generic cloth back briefs for the summer months with the tena stuffer it won't really change the absorbency and give you a bit more air down there/ Attends cloth backed or cardinal medical would also work. I actually found while noisy for cloth backed the cardinal medicals actually work well to manage odor.

NightOwl said:
I find it helps to re-apply powder to the leg loops and waistband, just put a little on your hand and run it round the lip of the diaper

I specifically put a generous bit of powder on my hand and apply to the area under my butt cheeks where those bands are going to go. Otherwise, lotsa deep pimples.

inconsurferdude said:
It's finally starting to heat up where I live, and this will be my first summer in diapers after switching from pull-ups late last year. I experimented with several brand and combinations during the first couple of months, and settled on plastic-backed Attends with waistband, the ones that have three tapes. I recently started using Tena Overnight pads with slits cut in them as a stuffer most days, and have started purchasing larger pants to accommodate the additional padding. I use baby powder and wipes (but no cream) every time I change, and I drink lots of water to combat odor. The Attends are loud, but I work in a noisy environment and everyone in my personal life knows about my incontinence, so that's not much of an issue. It's been a comfortable setup, and I finally have a routine... I especially prefer plastic-backed diapers, so switching to cloth-backed isn't an ideal option.

How do you guys manage the sticky feeling, and the chafing while walking? I also would like a way to deal with the sweat that gathers in between the waistband, above the padding. I've tried using more powder, which helps for awhile, but it always turns into a sludgy paste by the time I change. I've also tried going without the stuffer, but usually the Attends clump faster and the added wetness adds to the discomfort. I haven't had a rash so far (like since I started wearing) and I use oatmeal soap when I shower... I've also tried not using body lotion for a few days (which helped a lot) but I noticed a difference in shaving and got bumps… I shave smooth every day, every two days at most. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and I'll look through the forums some more as well :)

Hi @inconsurferdude
Like you I'm a fan of plastic backed diapers, I just find them more reliable, and I always have a booster pad in mine too so it sounds like we're wearing pretty similar levels of padding.
Summer - and hot weather in general can be a bugger in diapers but something that I've learnt is don't compromise on your level of security in order to try and cut down on what I call 'the boiler effect'. When I first went 24/7 the first summer wasn't fun, I was getting hot and uncomfortable which I thought was a result of the thickness of my padding so I cut right back to slim cloth backed diapers. Big mistake. I work in a busy physical environment and I was used to being able to forget about my diaper during the day. The thinner ones although cooler just didn't have the capacity and I was having leaks and accidents. I found that far worse than the heat discomfort.
These days I just make sure I wash really well with natural soaps, I shave in the summer - particularly my butt crack and behind my balls (sorry for the indelicate description) and use a good moisturiser. I've found that for me powder over the front and a dollop of something like sudocreme up between my cheeks keeps me comfortable and chafe free. I tuck the top of the waistband down into itself and unless I really need them I leave the plastic pants ata home. The rest I manage through what I wear over the top - cotton boxers, t-shirts and shorts mainly which keep me pretty cool. It's never going to be like it was before but it's better to be slightly hot than very wet!

Get a good diaper that is really good for keeping wetness away from your skin. Also change a little more often than really needed, and use that powder.

For chafing, use a little petrolium jelly and rub it in to your thighs where thry rub. This will cut down on the friction a lot.

And, in a few years your skin should adapt and you won't need to worry about it after that.

rennecfox said:
sometimes wear the same setup as you, calmoseptine helps alot, also powder for the odor and chafing.

Have you noticed any difference by repositioning the Tena pad? I normally place the wider part at the front, but I noticed that positioning it the other way around (wider part across the lower area of buttocks, with thinner portion covering crotch) helps with chafing on the inner thighs a little bit by channeling more liquid into the seat of the diaper instead of between the legs. The only problem is that it's uncomfortable (feels wet) when I first sit down if I've been standing for a bit.

inconsurferdude said:
Have you noticed any difference by repositioning the Tena pad? I normally place the wider part at the front, but I noticed that positioning it the other way around (wider part across the lower area of buttocks, with thinner portion covering crotch) helps with chafing on the inner thighs a little bit by channeling more liquid into the seat of the diaper instead of between the legs. The only problem is that it's uncomfortable (feels wet) when I first sit down if I've been standing for a bit.
I'll have to try that usually taped the wider part up top, as sometimes my gushes go if I flood, but I do sometimes get heat rash between my legs

rennecfox said:
also, considering your incontinence is more drippage, you probably could get by with some prevails generic cloth back briefs for the summer months with the tena stuffer it won't really change the absorbency and give you a bit more air down there/ Attends cloth backed or cardinal medical would also work. I actually found while noisy for cloth backed the cardinal medicals actually work well to manage odor.

I'm pretty familiar with Prevail briefs, when I only had to wear taped-on diapers for bedwetting I used them almost every night. They're fine for when I'm laying in bed or for evenings and weekends on the couch, but Attends waistband works really well for me movement-wise during the day. My insurance covers the plastic Attends, not sure about cloth. Cardinal isn't an option, but I think the new Depends with three tapes might be soon. Another reason I prefer plastic is for minor IBS issues.... sometimes I need to use a few wipes after exercising or jogging, and while it's currently only sometimes, it starts up randomly and I'm extremely self conscious about odor, especially since I almost never notice it until I change.

inconsurferdude said:
I'm pretty familiar with Prevail briefs, when I only had to wear taped-on diapers for bedwetting I used them almost every night. They're fine for when I'm laying in bed or for evenings and weekends on the couch, but Attends waistband works really well for me movement-wise during the day. My insurance covers the plastic Attends, not sure about cloth. Cardinal isn't an option, but I think the new Depends with three tapes might be soon. Another reason I prefer plastic is for minor IBS issues.... sometimes I need to use a few wipes after exercising or jogging, and while it's currently only sometimes, it starts up randomly and I'm extremely self conscious about odor, especially since I almost never notice it until I change.

I understand completely, prefer plastic for the same reason, cardinals though actually surprised me, they handle that alot better then I thought a cloth backed could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back