Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyKai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
In the past I usually wore Tena Lady Pants. They're like pull ups for adults. Easy to put in, easy to take off.

Recently my incontinence has become worse and due to the price of my original ones (£14 for 10) I've had to change to proper adult diapers with the tape on them (£14 for 30).

I'm having problems being able to put them on. It usually takes me a good 20 minutes to get them on. I've tried standing up and laying down and each time, I get frustrated with the difficulty of putting it on. Any advice with that would be great.

While I deal with incontinence, I'm still able to use the toilet. I just have accidents randomly when I can't access a toilet quick enough or I get it without any warning. My issue with this is that the diaper is really hard to take off when I need the toilet. I don't want to waste them nor do I want to be reliant on them. I still like my ability to use the toilet. So again, any advice with that would be great.

The last thing I need help with is the noise. So the pull ups that I did use, didn't have any noise whatsoever. They were very slim fitting and I couldn't even tell they were there. Now with these new diapers, I can feel them and I can hear them. I've tried putting my boxers over the diapers to make them feel tighter but I can still hear the rustling noise. Any advice for that would be brilliant.

Thank in advance.

I am going to suggest a diaper that you might not think of. I wear ABU Preschool diaper for my day to day diaper. When I looked to find a great diaper I looked at Rena, Abriform and others before looking at Preschool diapers. They are decently absorbent with good leg guards. They pull up and down great due to their front and back elastic bands.

I still have to contend with noise but some suggestions already put forth are to wear baggy clothes, pants that make noise when you walk anyways, like cargo pants. Or change in your pocket. Keys. Anything that could make a cover-up noise. Heck, maybe I'll put a candy wrapper in my pocket or something.

Whatever diaper you go with, remember they are supposed to fit like a diaper and not underwear. They will feel too big at first, but as long as they don't leak you've probably got it right.

In addition to that, diapers are intended to extend up to your waist line (near your belly button). You should also have a minimum 1-2 inch overlap on the side panels, but not so much the tapes overlap each other.

The leg bands should be snug, but not tight. Generally you should be able to get a finger or two under the band, without any difficulty. You should also be able to easily get up to four fingers under your waist band, but not your whole hand.

When you do get the diaper on successfully, try to memorize where the tapes ended up. Look for landmarks like where the padding underneath stops, any bunching lines from where the leg bands gather, or even prints. This way, you can just put the tape in the same spot next time, and automatically have a good fit.

And, for someone just needing a slight upgrade from a pullup, I'd recommend ATN, or xpmedical.com aplus line. If you're needing something that will last more than 3-4 hours, or for overnight, I'd recommend confidry or northshore supreme.

Lastly, for the noise concern. Nobody ever notices! You are way more self conscious to the light rustling than anyone around you. Still, to help put your concerns aside I'd recommend a good diaper cover. I like the gary activewear pul pants myself. They will help you notice any leaks long before they become outwardly noticable. Plus, they have a nylon cloth outer cover which muffles diaper noise really well.

I guess from the currency you mention, that you're in the UK. I am too, and I get my supplies from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk, since they seem to be cheaper than pretty much anywhere in the UK.

I recently trialled a couple of new (to me) brands, as the Tena Slips and Tena Flex I've been previously using are getting too expensive. The two I like best of the cheaper ones are Viva Medical and ID Expert. Viva is cloth backed and ID Expert is plastic. The Viva ones are pretty quiet when you're wearing them and for the price they perform very well, but they are rather bulky as they're just pulp-filled, not SAP. The ID Expert ones are better; SAP-filled so they are slimmer and absorb very quickly and they are as good as Tena, IMO. Being plastic backed they are a little noisier than the Vivas, but I wear a pair of snug boxer-briefs over them and this helps to keep the noise down.

Avoid Lille and Age Concern. They are exactly the same as each other and they're absolutely rubbish. Cheap as chips and still not worth it.

But you might also look into the Tena Flex if you can handle the cost. Being belt-style, they make no noise at all and they are very quick and easy to put on/take off. They are £14.85 for 22 for the Maxi mediums. They make using the toilet extremely easy but they're no good for night wetting because there are no side panels. Then again, you're probably not bothered about noise at night. Honestly, I would use only these, if I was richer.

Another option is the large pads. They fit inside special mesh pants or just close-fitting briefs and they're basically just the padded part of a diaper with no side-tapes. Again they are virtually noise-less and they are also much cheaper than taped diapers. I use these when I'm at work because they're so much quicker and easier to change, and like the Tena Flex, they make using the toilet a lot easier; you just pull them down like you would with pullups. And unlike pullps, you don't have to take your trousers off to change them.

Tips for putting a taped diaper on when standing up: put it in place and lean back against a wall. Pull the back sides in against your hips to check they're even, lean back hard to stop the diaper slipping, then pull the front up and again, check that it's even on both sides. Then fasten the two lower tapes first before doing the top tapes (inhale and suck the tummy in!). If the diaper has any printing on it, you can use that as a guide. I find that I get a better fit if I do it standing up rather than lying down. If I try it lying down, it tends to sag a bit when I stand up again.

Another way you can do it is with a pair of those snug-fitting boxer-briefs over the diaper, instead of standing against a wall. The technique is the same except you pull the briefs up part-way, around your lower hips, leaving just enough space to fasten the tapes. Then pull the briefs up all the way when you're done. And the briefs stop the diaper sagging when it's wet. It's a bit more difficult doing it this way but with practise it gets pretty quick and I do it this way all the time now.

But based on what you've said, I think the Tena Flex or the large pads would suit your needs best.

downtide said:
Avoid Lille and Age Concern. They are exactly the same as each other and they're absolutely rubbish. Cheap as chips and still not worth it.

Off-topic, but Age Concern is sort of a horrible name for a diaper brand.

Adding to previous advice - I use on occasions the ID Slip pads and regular underwear to hold it all in place - the higher absorbacy takes a good 3 bladder fills before changing - and can be easily taken down and put on as they don't have tapes - so solving 2 of your issues - also it doesn't sound like you have full on bladder control loss - so a mid range absorbency will be thinner and will probably do the trick still

Maybe try going up a size? I remember buying Mediums and they were also a nightmare to put on.

Problem one, you have to figure out your fit, sometimes it helps if you have something to hold onto as you fit them, after awhile you figure out that. You might have to refasten and replace a few times to figure out how to get a snug but comfortable fit.
Problem 2, if its plastic backed and doesn't have decent refasten-able tabs, tape it it with enough give to make it slide-able, you may want to look at cloth backed ones or ones with waistbands or even more absorbent underwear products.

problem 3, this is almost not a problem in public and under pants, but for small rooms, you can invest in some type of cover to reduce noise like some kind of incontinence pants. Remember just because you hear them, doesn't mean most people will, you're listening for them.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Off-topic, but Age Concern is sort of a horrible name for a diaper brand.
Age Concern is UK charity supporting the elderly. But yeah its stupid idea to put their name on diapers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Getting a good fit with nappies takes a bit of getting right but eventually becomes second nature. I put mine on without really thinking about it now. After some trial and error you will find what works for you.

I suggest you see about diaper samples too. You can sometimes get a mixed pack of lots of types in a particular size and then see which you find is best. I went through god knows how many brands and styles before settling on my go to diapers.

I tend to use incontinenceshop in the UK which also trades as nappiesrus for the abdl side. Abu preschool was mentioned in a previous comment - I've not tried these but I have settled on Abu Simples as my go to diaper. Strong, refastenable, plain (as a non abdl that's good for me). Might be noisy for you though I don't notice noise under my normal clothes. Best thing about them aside from absorbency (I can go almost 24h in one) is you can really tape them on tight. The tapes don't ping off or come loose. So you can get a really good fit and they stay put. They do like many diapers though come right up past your belly button.

Further to that my other go to diaper is Tena Slip Maxi the plastic one. They're quiet, the tapes stick really well for a snug fit, and they're not too badly priced. I avoid any cloth backed diapers as the tapes don't stick well and they get damp and saggy and just aren't my thing.

I'd agree with the earlier suggestion of ID Slip too. They're really quite cheap and again there's plastic backed ones with tapes that stick really well. Some even have cloth side panels and plastic padded area so your sides breathe but the tapes stick. The yellow ones maybe Extra, last time I had them, were like that. The green ones, Super, were plastic all round. Only thing I didn't like about the ID Slip was they have poor odour control and after a few days in your bin you can really smell them. Other brands are better on that front.

Agree with others about standing against a wall to put them on. Laying on a bed means you sink into the mattress and the fit isn't always as great. Find the places you tape to that work best and remember them and every time you put them on they should fit nicely. At first I found it took five minutes to tape a diaper on now I can do it in 20 seconds.

Last thought is consider a plain t-shirt onesie or bodysuit to hold everything in place and help hide the noise. I can't live without my small collection of t-shirt onesies. Look to everyone else like t-shirts. But no risk of them riding up and showing my underwear. Brilliant.

Hope you find a product that works for you.

I think it just takes time, patience and practice. It should not take 20 mins to put a diaper on. At first it is a challenge though. I was a bedwetter wearing diapers for months before my daytime issues got way out of control so I had kind of mastered getting them on and fitting well. A diaper change at home in bed or at work standing up probably takes me like a minute and a half now. You'll get there, but be patient.

For me the best way is to pull the front of the diaper up nice and tight and then pull the wings so the leg gathers pull in real tight in the crease of the crotch/leg. Then tape that side's bottom tape. Then repeat for the other side bottom tape. then I pull some of the excess wings down and out a bit. Smooth out the top front of the diaper, tape one side and then the other. It becomes second nature in no time.

Agree. It takes time and practice and I think no-one's perfect. Try to get the diaper as tight as possibleand make sure the tapes come to the same part of the diaper - that ensures it should be the correct fit.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back